Cremation or Burial?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Saiyan Lusitano, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Saiyan Lusitano
    OP

Saiyan Lusitano GBAtemp Guru

Oct 29, 2015
    Portugal
    I was on another forum where a member announced a friend and also member of that same community passed away and it got me thinking about this. He said that they opted straight for cremation and that option just seems too radical and harsh, unless that person confirmed he/she wanted to be cremated.

Cremation has its upsides and downsides, in my opinion. Once you're cremated you're just ashes and don't take any space and your loved ones can keep you in a box/bottle/case/etc, but that's it in terms of positive aspects.

For me burial is the better option, because regardless of "after we're dead it doesn't matter" which I agree partly but for those that are alive it does matter so if they want to still visit that person who has departed they can, the body does deteriorate as time passes though that's entirely normal as the body is no longer alive.

The cost of funeral and burial issues: If you own a farm or a backward big enough to bury your loved ones then you can cut the costs and do it all privately, although some countries have a stick up their arses if people do this so better check the laws (or just don't inform govt workers / police about it or some asshole family member that can get you into trouble).

The issue of the cemeteries: I'm no expert by any means in any of this but I've been to several cemeteries and saw other several by afar and they were completely full! This is just unacceptable, seriously. Now, if there are family relatives who can't afford to bury their loved ones or the grave workers bury people then this is where cremation would come in handy to help cemeteries from being overfull.

I know it's a morbid topic to bring up but hell, we're all one day going to die.

[​IMG]

2. nero99

nero99 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 18, 2014
    United States
    I'd rather be ashes. That way my daughter can use my Urn as a constant reminder that I'll always be with her. Granted shes only two right now, but you get the point.

Stephano and Saiyan Lusitano like this.
  3. slingblade1170

slingblade1170 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 15, 2009
    United States
    Natural burial if my family will listen and not spend a billion on a rock for me to lay in. Just put a shroud on me and put my ass in the ground!

Saiyan Lusitano likes this.
  4. VinsCool

VinsCool Insecure

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    Like we say, dust to dust.

Ashes is what I want to become. Cremation all the way.

Saiyan Lusitano and Jiehfeng like this.
  5. zoogie

zoogie simple pimp tool

Nov 30, 2014
    United States
    Burial. Because I can hop out of the ground as a zombie and haunt people.
    Need something fun to do in the afterlife.

6. Xanthe

Xanthe Sith

Dec 23, 2015
    United States
    Took the words right outta my asshole

7. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ I drool on my knife

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    Cremation for me. I live 800 miles away from my family. So if I were to die, I would rather my ashes be able to be visited by everyone I love without having them drive 800 miles

8. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    While being able to have a focal object can be useful for some in meditation or whatever I fail to see the need myself. If I want to remember those that kicked the bucket then I can, just like I can remember most of things.

Cemeteries being full here seems to be a problem solved by a) building more and b) only leasing graves for a few decades (with the option to extend), also c) getting more to opt for cremation.

Speaking of cremation most I have ever known have it happen to have their ashes scattered or straight up disposed of. Urn on the mantelpiece is a rarity.

But yeah I will be dead so peh. While I don't care (again owing to being dead) then it seems like a reasonable thing that if the bus and my general approach to life leaves anything of value then stick it in someone else, or give it to someone to do an experiment upon. Dispose of what is left with via the cheapest means available. Would be pretty sweet to become an AI or robot though, probably won't live that long though.

Probably a repeat of an earlier song I used in a thread like this but death thread so song

9. RemixDeluxe

RemixDeluxe GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 23, 2010
    United States
  10. Meteor7

Meteor7 Guess where this thumb goes.

Jun 9, 2014
    United States
    New Jersey
    I plan on dying alone in the woods somewhere once I'm very old, as far away as I can be from society, after having trained so hard my body just fucking gives out from under me. I hope it's peacefully, in the natural noise of night, drenched in sweat beneath a bright moon in a small clearing; my back against a tree and my head tiled back.
    So, I guess it's more about what I'm doing right before I die than how I do it, and I couldn't care less about what happens afterward.

Saiyan Lusitano and fenixcumber like this.
  11. H1B1Esquire

H1B1Esquire RxTools, the ultimate CFW machine.

Nov 2, 2016
    United States
    Earth, bro-dude.
    I want to be buried in a sarcophagus, in a mausoleum, Italian-style. And by that, I mean take my body out of its resting place and take pictures with me ala 'Weekend At Bernie's' every other weekend until Febreze/Ozium doesn't work anymore.

Friendsxix and Saiyan Lusitano like this.
  12. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Actually that is a point. Forgot about sky burial.
    Stick you on a raised platform and let the birds and rats have their way.

13. Jiehfeng

Jiehfeng A Racist

Aug 15, 2012
    Nigeria
    Under your fucking chair.
    We are not our bodies, the body just acts as a medium or intermediary for us. It has no relation to your true self and therefore it doesn't matter what happens to it once you pass away. I'd go with cremation.

14. zoogie

zoogie simple pimp tool

Nov 30, 2014
    United States
    Surprised no one has suggested burial at sea given the pirate tilt of this place.

TheVinAnator likes this.
  15. fenixcumber

fenixcumber Don't need's a 1UP

Feb 5, 2017
    Spain
    inside me
    I don't care much, but I'm sure that I do not want a tombstone

Last edited by fenixcumber, Apr 12, 2017
  16. Saiyan Lusitano
    OP

Saiyan Lusitano GBAtemp Guru

Oct 29, 2015
    Portugal
    Wouldn't that be worse than traditional burial or cremation, in your opinion?

17. DinohScene

DinohScene Dino May Fire

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Apart from me mum n dad, brother and lil brother and me bf...
    I don't really have loved ones.

Me brother wants to be cremated and scattered in the stratosphere, me little brother.. idk never heard anything from him.
    Mum n dad prolly gun to be buried and I think I'll opt for cremation.

It's unlikely me bf will outlive me or me outlives him.

Short and funny answer: I'm not paying for a plot of land which I'll never see.

18. Veho

Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
    I want my organs, if they are still viable at that point, to be donated for transplantation. As for the rest, I plan to have enough money put by to not make disposing of my remains a financial burden on my family, but other than that, fuck it, I'll be dead and won't care either way, so they can do whatever helps them cope, be it burial, cremation, that fancy new "turning the ashes into ink/diamonds/glitterbomb/tree" thing, firing me from a canon, or sticking a speaker in my skull and have me sing showtunes when I detect movement. Or this. I don't give a fuck.

19. Reecey

Reecey Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)

Mar 7, 2010
    At Home :)
    As long as I die with a fittie riding my cock at the time, then I wont be too concerned! as they say "once your dead, your F*****G DEAD!"

Last edited by Reecey, Apr 12, 2017
  20. LittleFlame

LittleFlame Thinks he's better than all of you

Jan 30, 2015
    Netherlands
    That one place
    neither, I just want my loved ones to fit me in a funny pose on top of a tall tree so that when some kid climbs up he sees me making a stupid face with my dick in my hand or some shit, I'm dead serious

Saiyan Lusitano and fenixcumber like this.