• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Covid-19 vaccine

Will you get the vaccine?

• Yes

Votes: 500 67.1%
  • No

Votes: 245 32.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
How is this thread still going lol? How is the “COVID state of emergency” still going? We’re on Year 2 of 2 weeks to stop the spread, this is getting a little silly.

As far as I’m concerned, we’re 2 years down the line. There’s nothing “emergent” about the COVID “emergency” - vaccines are readily available and effective. Anyone interested in one should schedule a jab, otherwise we should all get on with our lives. It’s time for business as usual, especially considering the supremely low mortality rate associated with Omicron. There’s absolutely no point in continuing any of the restrictions - I’m told that the majority of people dying from COVID are unvaccinated, so as far as I’m concerned that was their choice (since they have a right to choose, same as with any other medical procedure), by the same token so are the consequences of that choice. Any thinly-veiled excuse along the lines of “stopping the spread” or “preventing mutation” is a ship that has sailed a good year ago - COVID is on track for becoming endemic and judging by the statistics there’s nothing the federal government, or anybody else for that matter, can do about it. It’s just not going to work, mitigation has failed, on a global scale - I’m okay with that.

I’m done, personally. There’s only so many “cares” I can give about a, for the most part, preventable disease. If people want to risk it, God bless’em. If they want to get jabbed, better still. I’ve stopped caring what people do about it in their personal lives, and I didn’t care much to begin with - at this point I only care about a return to relative normalcy and lifting any and all restrictions. They seem counterproductive at this stage and achieve nothing in the grand scheme of things.

RocaBOT

Yo best puppy (but automated 🙃)
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'd agree with you if not for the fact that not all countries (and not all of us citizen, for that matter) have a care-level of 0 for our healthcare being overflowed again by people with the preventable (as you rightly stated) disease. We've seen enough people die of unrelated things for not being able to be treated because of overflowing covid cases, I'm done with that kind of thing for my part. So I'll wait for data showing this is not happening anymore (which is not the case in my birth country nor in my home country currently afaik) before being reckless, thank you :)

Reactions: Dakitten

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I'd agree with you if not for the fact that not all countries (and not all of us citizen, for that matter) have a care-level of 0 for our healthcare being overflowed again by people with the preventable (as you rightly stated) disease. We've seen enough people die of unrelated things for not being able to be treated because of overflowing covid cases, I'm done with that kind of thing for my part. So I'll wait for data showing this is not happening anymore (which is not the case in my birth country nor in my home country currently afaik) before being reckless, thank you :)
It is not being overflowed - it’s designed to run at capacity, and that’s what it’s doing. Hospital utilisation rate has remained pretty stagnant for years, in spite of any pandemics or other assorted disasters, natural or otherwise. There hasn’t been a year when ICU beds weren’t “critically short”.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/185904/hospital-occupancy-rate-in-the-us-since-2001/

This graph shows hospital occupancy rates between 1975 and 2019 - the rate is around 65% every single year. Do you know what it was in 2020? Have a wild guess. The system is *designed* to have an occupancy rate of around 65-75% on average, and that’s pretty much what it was. Having staffed beds sit idle throughout the year is waste, that’s why they’re short in supply, not because of any pandemic. In fact, the trend over the years was shutting hospitals down due to a *decrease* in demand. My local hospitals are almost completely vacant at this point since there was an increase of COVID patients, but an overall decrease in just about every other kind of patient there is since everyone’s masking and sitting at home unless absolutely necessary. They’re doing just fine.

Of course that means that sometimes patients need to be treated out of state, but that’s hardly a big deal. It is not uncommon to see occupancy rates in a given state hit numbers above 100% momentarily - that doesn’t mean that hospitals shove two patients into one bed, or multiply beds with magic. They simply find other means of care, including sending them elsewhere.

There’s that, and also the fact that I don’t particularly care if they were overflowing. For all I care, they can strap new beds to the ceiling. The capacity can be at 200% and I’d care equally little if I’m being inconvenienced for two years over something everyone can take a jab against, for free. We’re done, I’ve moved on.

Reactions: felix.200

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
They have beds. They have space. The primary determinant of capacity is the amount of hired staff on duty (whom they fired after the last wave).

That being said, everyone should be aware that going to the hospital while having Covid dramatically increases your odds of dying.

"science"

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
They have beds. They have space. The primary determinant of capacity is the amount of hired staff on duty (whom they fired after the last wave).

That being said, everyone should be aware that going to the hospital while having Covid dramatically increases your odds of dying.

"science"
This applies to every disease. It’s an old joke - “I don’t want to go to the hospital, that’s where people go to die”. That doesn’t mean hospitals kill people, the correlation is real because people in hospitals are severely ill, that’s why they’re in the hospital in the first place, they’re liable to die more so than gen pop. It’s the equivalent of saying “I’ll walk to the store instead of driving, the road is where people die”. Yeah, no shit - your odds of having a traffic accident decrease drastically when you’re not participating in traffic. Use your noggin.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
This applies to every disease. It’s an old joke - “I don’t want to go to the hospital, that’s where people go to die”. That doesn’t mean hospitals kill people, the correlation is real because people in hospitals are severely ill, that’s why they’re in the hospital in the first place, they’re liable to die more so than gen pop. It’s the equivalent of saying “I’ll walk to the store instead of driving, the road is where people die”. Yeah, no shit - your odds of having a traffic accident decrease drastically when you’re not participating in traffic. Use your noggin.
I was being somewhat facetious. But there is a point that if you hang out in a disease-ridden queue for a test, you might wind up with the disease that you are in queue for. Hospital waiting rooms are a risky place to be.

Really, can't say that the hospital protocol treatment killed people or not due to the lack of alternative to compare to. Seemed like when we ran out of ventilators, things started getting better.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
A majority of Black people have received at least one dose of the vaccine in the United States.
Do note, that user is an exposed Neo-Nazi

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I was being somewhat facetious. But there is a point that if you hang out in a disease-ridden queue for a test, you might wind up with the disease that you are in queue for. Hospital waiting rooms are a risky place to be.

Really, can't say that the hospital protocol treatment killed people or not due to the lack of alternative to compare to. Seemed like when we ran out of ventilators, things started getting better.
When I went for a test, I was sitting in a car with the windows almost all the way up. I had no contact with anyone at all - I was given a test in a sealed envelope through a thin gap in the window, by an employee in full PPE, and that’s how the bag was collected when my test was complete. In fact, they didn’t even touch the bag once it was filled with my sample, it went directly into a biohazard container. Then again, that speaks to the testing methodology in Wales, not in the U.S., but overall if anyone needs a PCR done, I suggest the drive-through.

Reactions: tabzer

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't get why this thread has over 170 pages.

Medical information is private and if some have "pride" in sharing it, okay, but it's still none of your, mine or anyone's business about it. What's next, people sharing their bank account info? Come on.

RocaBOT

Yo best puppy (but automated 🙃)
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It is not being overflowed - it’s designed to run at capacity, and that’s what it’s doing. Hospital utilisation rate has remained pretty stagnant for years, in spite of any pandemics or other assorted disasters, natural or otherwise. There hasn’t been a year when ICU beds weren’t “critically short”.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/185904/hospital-occupancy-rate-in-the-us-since-2001/

This graph shows hospital occupancy rates between 1975 and 2019 - the rate is around 65% every single year. Do you know what it was in 2020? Have a wild guess. The system is *designed* to have an occupancy rate of around 65-75% on average, and that’s pretty much what it was. Having staffed beds sit idle throughout the year is waste, that’s why they’re short in supply, not because of any pandemic. In fact, the trend over the years was shutting hospitals down due to a *decrease* in demand. My local hospitals are almost completely vacant at this point since there was an increase of COVID patients, but an overall decrease in just about every other kind of patient there is since everyone’s masking and sitting at home unless absolutely necessary. They’re doing just fine.

Of course that means that sometimes patients need to be treated out of state, but that’s hardly a big deal. It is not uncommon to see occupancy rates in a given state hit numbers above 100% momentarily - that doesn’t mean that hospitals shove two patients into one bed, or multiply beds with magic. They simply find other means of care, including sending them elsewhere.

There’s that, and also the fact that I don’t particularly care if they were overflowing. For all I care, they can strap new beds to the ceiling. The capacity can be at 200% and I’d care equally little if I’m being inconvenienced for two years over something everyone can take a jab against, for free. We’re done, I’ve moved on.
Funny how you'd reply with a post about systems (plural), from a fellow european with only one example from the other side of the pond. Doesn't add much value. Yes that may be how it happens on your side, it's not necessarily generalizable everywhere. And the simple fact that we get over the designed capacity (which is a function of both space and number of healthcare workers available) shows there is a problem, which is arguably both with the design itself and the numbers reached in strong epidemic and pandemic times.
They're not "doing just fine" everywhere, you being so blindly focused on the US doesn't chance that fact.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
And yet it's you guys who turned out to be literal fascists while calling other people nazis. Go figure.
First, I am an Anarchist and wish to dismantle the state. I also do not wish for a military state based on extreme nationalism. As well, can you quote where any of us (besides you,) have posted anything related to propagating “literal fascism.” You have a history posting neo-Nazi and white nationalist propaganda, slogans, and conspiracies. You’ve literally posted the fascist conspiracy of “White Genocide.” You don’t have any grounds to call anyone else a fascist.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Funny how you'd reply with a post about systems (plural), from a fellow european with only one example from the other side of the pond. Doesn't add much value. Yes that may be how it happens on your side, it's not necessarily generalizable everywhere. And the simple fact that we get over the designed capacity (which is a function of both space and number of healthcare workers available) shows there is a problem, which is arguably both with the design itself and the numbers reached in strong epidemic and pandemic times.
They're not "doing just fine" everywhere, you being so blindly focused on the US doesn't chance that fact.
You’re right, it’s a different virus across the pond - speaks with an accent. :P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Thanks for signing up at LinusTechTips
  • QuarterCut @ QuarterCut:
    holey shmoley!
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Your credit card has been charged. Thank you.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Your screwdriverPlus will arrive in three weeks
    +1
  • QuarterCut @ QuarterCut:
    K64_Waddle_Dee_Artwork_1.jpg

my reaction to such information
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Press 1 for English. Press 2 for Pig Latin. Or press 3 to speak to a representative.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, i need help, i got into an argument about what genre radioactive is, and i forgot who made it
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @BakerMan, Imagine Dragons
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Dragon deez nuts across yo face GOTEEM
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    lmao now I realize that was probably the joke in the first place
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    IMAGINE DRAGON DEEZ NUTS ACROSS YO- FUCK HE BEAT ME TO IT
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You have selected 4 - Death by Snu Snu, please stand by...
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    lucky bastard
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    hahahaha I'm half way through a bag off my Volcano and my tolerance is way down because I haven't been smoking much lately, so I was a little slow to catch that that was what your angle was 🤣🤣
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Also I was just excited to know a music reference for once (I am the LAST person in the world that you want on your trivia team)
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Bummer webos 7.4 isnt working with dejavuln-autoroot
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    PS4 right? I think that's what mine's on. Or 5.6, maybe.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    [!] Installation failed (devmode_enabled not recognized)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    0.5 seemed to work whatever lol i wont bitch
  • Alysh_Graham @ Alysh_Graham:
    Hehehe
    Alysh_Graham @ Alysh_Graham: Hehehe