Hacking Couple of Q's about G6 lite

Deaddy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
No, G6 Lite save files are the size they should be - 128k, etc. There are three save files generated for each game though.

AFAIK, the G6 Lite only has one memory chip, it doesn't have to copy anything anywhere, everything just loads directly from the cart.

About the loaders - when you boot into NDS mode using your PassMe/NoPass/FlashMe/etc, you are presented with an NDS specific menu that allows you to choose between the NDS games you flashed on the cart via a touch-screen interface. It's the 'NDS loader'. When you boot in GBA mode (no PassMe/etc), you are presented with a different menu that allows you to choose your GBA/GB/PCE/NES/GG/SMS/etc games. It's the 'GBA loader'.

As for how it boots - if you're using a NoPass (i.e. PassCard 3, SuperKey, etc) the NDS boots, shows you the health warning, and then automatically boots into your kit for you - you don't have to press anything.
That answered all my questions. Oh now that I think of it I forgot I think there was an option in the DS menu to boot straight to the game and bypass the menu. I guess that'd be the same as what you're describing. Thanks!
smile.gif

pelago

Trophies
XP
Country
AFAIK, the G6 Lite only has one memory chip, it doesn't have to copy anything anywhere, everything just loads directly from the cart.
I'm not sure that's right. I think the delay in loading GBA games is it copying from slow to fast memory (not sure of the exact types, although http://wiki.pocketheaven.com/G6 suggests NAND and NOR flash). DS games can run directly from slow memory, hence they don't need to copy, but GBA games need fast memory.

That's why I say AFAIK.

I really wish that the G6 team was more forthcoming about information. You see, I can use the entire 4Gb for NDS games - so how much 'extra' memory is included for GBA?

Looks like we'll all learn together.
I'm assuming there's an extra 256Mbit (the max size of a GBA game) of fast memory dedicated for GBA. When you launch a GBA game it actually copies it from part of the 4Gbit into the 25Mbit and runs it from there. This is all guesswork though.

Lily

One Scary Lady
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm not sure that's right. I think the delay in loading GBA games is it copying from slow to fast memory (not sure of the exact types, although http://wiki.pocketheaven.com/G6 suggests NAND and NOR flash). DS games can run directly from slow memory, hence they don't need to copy, but GBA games need fast memory.

That's why I say AFAIK.

I really wish that the G6 team was more forthcoming about information. You see, I can use the entire 4Gb for NDS games - so how much 'extra' memory is included for GBA?

Looks like we'll all learn together.
I'm assuming there's an extra 256Mbit (the max size of a GBA game) of fast memory dedicated for GBA. When you launch a GBA game it actually copies it from part of the 4Gbit into the 25Mbit and runs it from there. This is all guesswork though.

Hmmmmm. I'm going to contact the G6 team and find out for sure.
smile.gif

beedog19

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Glad you're testing things out so feverously for us Qrazyie. I'm looking forward to mine everyday. I, along with everyone here, appreciate these insights.

To go a bit off-topic to those commenting about the latest Superkey bearing a splash screen, let me say this: IT IS ONE FREAKING SECOND! You can sit in front of your TV and watch a commercial for 30 seconds of a gecko talking about car insurance or a Skittles commercial that resembles some acid trip stories I've heard over the years. You can also deal with a moment of "You're using this product" on your screen.

Just about that, I really don't have a problem with the splash screen in principle, if I get stuck with a card with a splash screen oh well. I'm just saying that since there is a version that doesn't have it I would like to find it (I think hopebuy may have it) but if not I'll deal.

el_queso

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm confused.  So, I never have to backup my save files?  I can just play two different games, and it'll know which save file to use?  Is there a purpose for being able to write to the number 2 and 3 slots then?  Does the EZ4L have more saves available to it?

That's right, you never have to back them up. It saves automatically to the cart, and there are three save files available to each game. Don't confuse it with save slots. For example - New Super Mario Bros. has three save slots to save your game on the commercial cart. This is one save file on the G6 Lite. The multiple save files come in handy when you have a game that doesn't have multiple save slots..

I'm probably being more confusing.
smile.gif

Save mangement isn't as easy on the EZ4L. Technically you have as many saves available as you want on any cart, just rename and copy the files as you see fit.
smile.gif

Gotcha, thanks! How long does it take to load a NDS rom for everyone? For me, it seems like 1-3 seconds to see the circle fill completely. Does trimming the rom help any?

Lily

One Scary Lady
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That's about the length of time it takes to load it up, even the large roms. I pretty much click, and in the time it takes to look away and look back it's already starting. Try loading a few GBA games and then smile at how much faster the NDS load is.
biggrin.gif

Rykar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Does anyone know if the chips in the G6 and Lite degrade due to time and usage, I have heard this mentioned about other flash cards I was wondering if G6 suffers from this also.

Mloteq

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I have a question.I guess "perfect gba" covers it but I want to make sure since it's the only thing holding me back from buying G6 Lite. I heard that regular G6 occasionally corrupts gba save games, was this corrected in Lite?

Picolo

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Im wondering how much space there is really to fill up with roms since the g6-menu definitely take up some space on the flashcart..
so out of those 512 mbytes (4gbit) there really is like 480mbytes you can see in windows that you could fill up with roms and stuff or what?
This means I can't fit 4x 1gbit games (like a couple of Resident Evil for example)
(Or does trimming work so good it does fit?)

Lily

One Scary Lady
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Does anyone know if the chips in the G6 and Lite degrade due to time and usage, I have heard this mentioned about other flash cards I was wondering if G6 suffers from this also.

I haven't heard of anything like this. About the only thing that wears out (in carts that have them) is the battery, and that's easy enough to replace.

I have a question.I guess "perfect gba" covers it but I want to make sure since it's the only thing holding me back from buying G6 Lite. I heard that regular G6 occasionally corrupts gba save games, was this corrected in Lite?

I never had the regular G6 corrupt GBA saves, and in my short time with the G6 Lite, have not seen anything like that either. That's not to say that no-one has ever had it happen, but I haven't seen it with either card. I have read about people experiencing corruption for whatever reason while plugging it into their USB port, but I have never had that happen either.

Hopefully someone that has had that happen can post their experience, but I don't think you'll find that to be an issue.
smile.gif

Deaddy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think he's talking about this. I see people criticizing flash carts on here for this but I don't think anyone would actually use a cart to that extent:

When compared to a hard disk drive, a further limitation is the fact that flash memory has a finite number of erase-write cycles (most commercially available flash products are guaranteed to withstand 1 million programming cycles) so that care has to be taken when moving hard-drive based applications, such as operating systems, to flash-memory based devices such as CompactFlash. This effect is partially offset by some chip firmware or filesystem drivers by counting the writes and dynamically remapping the blocks in order to spread the write operations between the sectors, or by write verification and remapping to spare sectors in case of write failure.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_memory

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It must be the 1st already
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    1st of what?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    may?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh yeah it's in September
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, yea i think its different
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ok, because here it's in september, right before the fuckin school year starts
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
    TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands: I appreciate the insight!