Couple of Q's about G6 lite

Discussion in 'Other Flashing Hardware & Software' started by Bullshirt, Jul 2, 2006.

Jul 2, 2006

Couple of Q's about G6 lite by Bullshirt at 6:36 AM (9,164 Views / 0 Likes) 94 replies

1. Bullshirt
    OP

Newcomer Bullshirt Member

Canada
    Hi, I've been reading around the forum for a while and I've finally decided to buy a G6 lite. Now I am wondering if I should either get passcard 3 or superkey with it, do both work normally with it? Also, I've heard that with the old G6, the save system was kinda messed up. Is this fixed in the new version so I wouldn't have to turn on my DS again and backup my save? I am also wondering if the saves automactically back up to your PC. And will I need to patch the games manually to get them to work on the G6 lite?

Sorry if these questions were asked before. I didn't see them around and thought they were legitimate questions.

Thanks in advance

2. beedog19

Member beedog19 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    What's up bullshirt. I don't know much about the card but I too am planning on picking one up since I just got my ds lite and love it!

As for the passcard 3 or superkey as far as I know they have the exact same innards as they are made in the same factory so your choice would just come down to price/which sticker you like more. I thing I'm getting the passcard. I have heard thing about GBA compatibility being good but saving was tempermental. I think that the card requires you to turn the system off and on to backup your saves but I don't know for certain.

While I'm here I'm wondering, does anyone know of a card that doesn't require you to turn the system off and on to save?

Hope I was of some help.

3. leonardo71286

Newcomer leonardo71286 Advanced Member

United States
    Passcard 3 has a splash screen Superkey doesn't.

I think the lastest G6 firmware fixed the save system. But don't take me up on that because I'm not sure.

4. beedog19

United States
    Hey leonardo, by splash screen do you mean passcard 3 has a passcard 3 screen prior to the health warning while the superkey doesn't? I know, dumb question but I have no experience with these and haven't seen any videos of start up for either [​IMG]

5. Lily

Former Staff Lily One Scary Lady

Canada
    The G6 Lite Boots with..

Max Media Launcher
    Neo MK4 Mini
    PassCard 2
    PassCard 3 (Splash Screen)
    PassCard 3 (No Splash Screen)
    SuperKey (No Splash Screen)

I don't have anything else to test it with yet, but since those are all the major ones, it shouldn't really matter what you get. [​IMG]

6. inter4ever

Member inter4ever GBAtemp Regular

United States
    well there is a new superkey with a splash screen so i think its the same as passcard 3 new version

7. beedog19

United States
    Woah, Qrayzie does this mean you have the G6 lite? if so when can we get some impressions/review from you?

8. Lily

Canada
    I do have the G6 Lite, yes - arrived on Friday, right before the weekend! [​IMG]

Good:

- Ridiculously fast. Load times are virtually non-existant.
    - Exact same size as the GBA slot dust cover.
    - Same 'glossy' finish as the NDS Lite.
    - Compatibility is perfect for me -so far-.
    - Battery life appears not to be suffering a big hit, haven't had enough time with it to really test though.
    - USB writer allows it to be used as a flash drive, drag & drop.
    - Menu is stylus compatible - i.e., it actually uses the touch screen.

Bad:

- 4Gbit size may turn some people away, but really only an issue if you use your NDS for games + something else, i.e. movies.
    - Only comes in white (at least mine did).

That's just my initial impressions. In my opinion it's an awesome cart, but I didn't expect any less considering the original G6.

9. beedog19

United States
    Thanks Qrayzie, sounds like a very solid cart! I just got a white dsl so the cart color doesn't really bother me. How's GBA compatibility/saving and saving in general? Is it still save in game and then turn off and on to back it up? I'm so jealous right now [​IMG]

10. Lily

Canada
    I haven't found any GBA games that are giving me problems, but keep in mind I've only had the cart since Friday. [​IMG] When I get through a few hundred I'll have a better picture, but for now..

It's still the same save system too.

11. leoedin

Member leoedin GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I can't wait until I get my lites (DS and G6)...

Hopefully the G6 will arrive sometime next week.

12. kernelPANIC

Member kernelPANIC GBAtemp Fan

Spain
    Thank you for the first impressions Qrayzie.
    It'd be neat if you could do a more in-depth review though.

13. g.crow

Member g.crow beide mittelfinger hoch

United States

What do you mean "same save system"? do you have to turn on your ds again in order to save or will it save when you turn it on the next time (day) like the m3 does?
    turning on directly after turning off to save sucks :/

mars

14. Lily

Canada
    I believe the official G6 Lite review for the site will be coming from Opium this time around. [​IMG]

I will be doing a major comparison of flash kits in the near future though, so look out for that.

15. Lily

Canada
    Yes, it's the same as the old G6 - the next time you turn on the DS, highlight the ROM you want and hit select to bring up a menu allowing you to choose which 'slot' to permanently back your save up into. If you continally play the same game, you don't need to back it up, since the save will simply stay in SRAM. However - if you don't back it up and play a different game, it will be overwritten.

Clumsy? Yes. You definitely need to think if you're playing multiple games.

16. Killermech

Member Killermech Cookie Monster

Sweden
    Obviously you haven't tested it properly [​IMG]
    That was the old G6 save system yes.. about 4 months ago since it got fixed though.
    It does save to the default first save file from the sram directly everytime it saves. So you DON'T need to restart the nds just to backup the save file to savefile 2-3 etc cause it get's copied to the first save file and overwriting the sram save doesn't matter.

Just try it out.. play a few different games saving normally and then switch to another game without backuping, save there and back to the first game and you will see that the save is still there for both games.

17. SpaceJump

Member SpaceJump Where's my new 2D-Metroid?

Germany
    Qrayzie, could you test if Picodrive works on G6? It directly accesses the Genesis roms therefore doesn't work on normal flashcarts (and EZ4). I'm curious if it works on G6 [​IMG]

18. Killermech

Member Killermech Cookie Monster

Sweden
    Picodrive won't work on G6 therefor it uses a different approach of FAT file reading. The emulator itself will work, but it won't find any files to read so to say.

Until it's given the same FAT support as the newest G6 comp. moonshell...
    Im sure that will just be a matter of time.. since the G6 lite coming out, that homebrew makers will implent that feature in the upcoming homebrew programs.

19. Lily

Canada
    [​IMG]

Wow, you are correct sir. I'm just so used to hitting select and dumping it manually that I didn't realize it was different.

This is another entry on the "good" list. [​IMG]

20. Lily

Canada
    Killermech is right - I tried it just for kicks, and the emulator itself loads, it just doesn't find any files.