Hacking Couple of Q's about G6 lite

Lily

One Scary Lady
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It does it automatically, that's the best part - it writes the saves right to the cart, you never have to worry about powering off and on.

kalibar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just a heads-up for anyone that's interested, but it looks like WinSunx bumped these up in price from $78.00 USD + shipping to $81.51 USD + shipping. Also, WinSunx claims that they accept PayPal without charging an additional fee now (cool beans, I guess). But if you look at their Payment Info page, it looks like they give you a 4.5% discount if you pay with one of the other ways. What the hell's the cheapest way to order off of WinSunx?! Doesn't paying via Western Union or bank transfer end up tacking a bunch of fees on top of you anyway?

This shit is Greek to me. We need a "how to successfully order from WinSunx by the cheapest means possible" guide. I suppose I might just wait for KickTrading to get the G6 Lites in, but there's really no telling how long that's going to be -- I sent them an e-mail last week, and the response basically indicated that it would be sometime this month.

RyuKakashi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Damn they bumped up the price on everything after they removed the paypal cost.

I can't believe there's still no good places to order a g6 lite.

ron555

Trophies
XP
Country
Qrayzie or anyone else that owns this G6 list

Questions for you guys:

1) What's the battery life like? (Full charge > Red) --- Please state what you have in the DS cartridge slot (e.g. nothing, superkey/passcard, or OEM Nintendo game)

2) Instead of asking all sorts of questions -- what do you NOT like (negatives) of the G6 lite?

Lily

One Scary Lady
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
1. Battery Life

That is the question eh? I dreamed up my own comparison - Metroid Prime Pinball in the DS slot and the rumble pack accessory in the GBA slot versus the G6 Lite in the GBA slot and a NoPass (SuperKey & Neo MK4 Mini currently) in the DS slot. It seems fair to me - why compare battery life of a NoPass & Flash Cart to just a commercial NDS cart? Doesn't make sense.

On my DS Lite (brightness level 3), Metroid Prime Pinball + Rumble Pack went from full charge to death in 10 hours, 37 minutes. SuperKey + G6 Lite went from full charge to death in 10 hours, 19 minutes. Neo MK4 Mini + G6 Lite went from full charge to death in 10 hours, 12 minutes. The G6 Lite with the NoPass removed after booting went from full charge to death in 10 hours, 48 minutes.

That's by no means a scientific test, I'd have to do it many more times to get a clear picture. I haven't had the cart all that long, so that's the best I can give you right now. Also, my DS Lite is still virtually new in terms of the charging cycle, so the battery hasn't lost any of it's 'chargability' yet.

So please, take my preliminary results with a grain of salt!
smile.gif

2. What don't I like?

That it only came in white after I saw how perfectly it matched up with the DS Lite. I've never cared much about the flash kit fitting flush, but once you actually see it in the DS..it's a thing of beauty. To have it match my DS would be icing on an already sweet cake.

I don't like how tightly the G6 Lite fits in the USB burner - it feels like I'm going to wreck it every time I pull it in and out, and let me tell you - over the past few days I've done it enough times that it should have loosened up by now if it was going to. This must be by design, and it's still disconcerting. I'm sure it won't ruin anything at this point, but it's a niggle for me. I like to treat my equipment well, and it just takes a little more effort than I'm comfortable with to pull it on/off.

I don't like the lack of documentation on certain features - for example when writing NDS roms, the choice between 'doFAT' & 'Normal', or when writing GBA roms, the choice between 'Hardware', 'Hardware+Software' or 'Software'. There is too much left for the user to discover, when a little bit of documentation could go a long way towards clearing some confusion.

--

Other than that..so far it's been a really positive experience. The PC-side software is great, the menus on both the GBA & NDS loaders are great, the customization is easy, the compatibility (for me so far) is 100% with no effort or messing around with the patching settings. The Real Time Save support and Software Reset work with all the games I've tried. The speed, both transferring files to the cart and booting them is absolutely wonderful, and makes me stick all of my removable media solutions back in the drawer. The save management system is top-notch, having the saves automatically written directly to the card regardless of what you choose to play and not having to respond 'Ok' to any prompts (M3, I'm looking at you) is wonderful.

The cart is a real treat, and so far everything is as advertised. I'm currently writing up a review that will go into some more detail, but this was definitely a non-regretable purchase.

ron555

Trophies
XP
Country
Nice post, Qrayzie.

You mentioned the compatibility is 100%, but I'm assuming you meant NDS support.

What about GBA support?

Before I bought my card, I always scuffed at people wanting GBA support. "It's a fucking NDS device I told myself". But now that I've got my Supercard SD, I would REALLY like GBA support as well! There's just so many good games on it

-sev

antihaxer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am pretty sure he mentioned in previous posts that the gba compatibility was just as good as the nds compatibility. I am going to order a G6 Lite from Winsunx and I am wondering what I need to buy with it. Do I have to buy a pass card 3 with it? Or a super key?

RyuKakashi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I am pretty sure he mentioned in previous posts that the gba compatibility was just as good as the nds compatibility. I am going to order a G6 Lite from Winsunx and I am wondering what I need to buy with it. Do I have to buy a pass card 3 with it? Or a super key?
Either one are the same. Inside as well except passcard 3 has a splash screen which a lot of people hate.

Personally i'm going with the super key but it's up to you.

people might say passcard 3 has better flashing capability but that's all bullshit

Opium

PogoShell it to me ™
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
I am pretty sure he mentioned in previous posts that the gba compatibility was just as good as the nds compatibility. I am going to order a G6 Lite from Winsunx and I am wondering what I need to buy with it. Do I have to buy a pass card 3 with it? Or a super key?

GBA compatibility is 100% (as far as i've tried anyway on my original G6 which uses the same software/firmware). It'll work fine for all your GBA games too. A few of my pet niggles with the original G6 for GBA functionality have been cleared up in software updates and the new G6 Lite redesign. So yes the G6 Lite should work perfectly fine for GBA as well as DS.

Lily

One Scary Lady
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
About SuperKey/PassCard 3 -

There are two versions of each. One without a boot screen, and one with a boot screen. Both versions of the PassCard 3 work with the G6 Lite, and the version of the SuperKey that does not have a boot screen works as well. I don't have the other SuperKey revision with a boot screen to test it yet, but since the PassCard 3 works, and they both have the same innards, I'd assume that one works too. Can't guarantee it though, so I'd have to recommend a PassCard 3 to be sure. PassCard 3 is officially by the M3/G6 team as well, so that kind of guarantees compatibility.
smile.gif

About compatibility -

Sorry if I wasn't clear, but it's 100% so far for me for both NDS and GBA. The only caveat to that so far is that NDS games boot up faster than GBA games. Still testing of course, to see if anything causes problems. The save management is the same for GBA and NDS games as well, so the same convenience you get while playing NDS you get while playing GBA as well.

ron555

Trophies
XP
Country
Qrayzie,

Thanks again.

WOW, I was contempt with my Supercard SD, but now I'm contemplating the G6 Lite. Looks like a winner to me!

In regards to people concerning the Superkey / Passcard 3 -- I've flashed my NDS lite w/ V7, so it shouldn't matter for me since I don't either of them...

...right?
smile.gif

TheSpade

Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Glad you're testing things out so feverously for us Qrazyie. I'm looking forward to mine everyday. I, along with everyone here, appreciate these insights.

To go a bit off-topic to those commenting about the latest Superkey bearing a splash screen, let me say this: IT IS ONE FREAKING SECOND! You can sit in front of your TV and watch a commercial for 30 seconds of a gecko talking about car insurance or a Skittles commercial that resembles some acid trip stories I've heard over the years. You can also deal with a moment of "You're using this product" on your screen.

leonardo71286

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To go a bit off-topic to those commenting about the latest Superkey bearing a splash screen, let me say this: IT IS ONE FREAKING SECOND! You can sit in front of your TV and watch a commercial for 30 seconds of a gecko talking about car insurance or a Skittles commercial that resembles some acid trip stories I've heard over the years. You can also deal with a moment of "You're using this product" on your screen.

What's your point ? Nobody likes commercials.
That's why you have the internet, to download episodes of your fav. tv series or movies sans the commercials.
One second is still one second of your life that could be better spent. And many seconds do add up.
tongue.gif

PS. I love this emoticon
wtf.gif

Houou

Trophies
XP
Country
Here's an interesting question... does the G6 Lite work on a Phat DS? And due to the G6's size, can you remove it from the GBA slot easily or does it go too far into the slot? The G6's price is definatly tempting.

TheSpade

Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Here's an interesting question... does the G6 Lite work on a Phat DS? And due to the G6's size, can you remove it from the GBA slot easily or does it go too far into the slot? The G6's price is definatly tempting.

You can just put the G6 Lite board into the GBA-sized casing that's included for regular DS/GBA.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: well then show them how to scratch it (this is a verbalase joke)