Hacking Couple of Q's about G6 lite

Deleted member 42501

Trophies
XP
Yes, it's the same as the old G6 - the next time you turn on the DS, highlight the ROM you want and hit select to bring up a menu allowing you to choose which 'slot' to permanently back your save up into. If you continally play the same game, you don't need to back it up, since the save will simply stay in SRAM. However - if you don't back it up and play a different game, it will be overwritten.

Clumsy? Yes. You definitely need to think if you're playing multiple games.

Does that apply to GBA game saves as well?

beedog19

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Qrayzie or Killermech, does the improved save system for DS games extend to the GBA saves as well? As in we don't need to turn the system off and on in order to save the game? If this is true I'm sold!

Killermech

Cookie Monster
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Qrayzie or Killermech, does the improved save system for DS games extend to the GBA saves as well? As in we don't need to turn the system off and on in order to save the game? If this is true I'm sold!

Save file system is the same for ds and gba games
wink.gif

Deaddy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Qrayzie, does the G6 Lite combined with Passcard 3 both splash screen and non-splash versions allow normal sleep mode within games? Also, can you use this combination and not require the passcard data file to be placed on your g6 like previous passme devices required? Thanks.

Lily

One Scary Lady
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yes, the G6 Lite + PassCard 3 (either version) support sleep mode correctly. The PassCard 3 doesn't require any data files, that was only the PassCard 2 - which coincidentally doesn't work with the G6 Lite.
smile.gif

Deaddy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks for the info. I think I'm ready to purchase the passcard 3 & g6 lite now. Wish it was 1GB but oh well 512MB good enough.
smile.gif

Lily

One Scary Lady
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have a question of my own for anyone that has their G6 Lite -

When writing a GBA game, there's a "ROM Patch" tab that has options for:

Software
Hareware+Software
Hareware

(hehe, hareware)

Anyhow - the options are completely undocumented, and the default (Hareware+Software) appears to work just fine.

Can anyone shine some light?

sirdaver

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Qrayzie, if you don't mind me asking, where were you able to purchase your G6 Lite? All of the places I've checked either have them in pre-order status, or don't have them at all.

And thanks for all your testing, your word is golden!

ron555

Trophies
XP
Country
Hi Qrayzie,
happy.gif

Dumb question -- does the G6 lite allow one to open up zipped (or RARed) ROMS to save space?

How many games do you have on it RIGHT NOW?

PS: I can't wait for your comprehensive review!

Lily

One Scary Lady
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I purchased it from WinSunX, as a matter of fact. I guess my shipment must have been in their initial one. It was $100 USD all told with shipping and the PayPal surcharge.

It does allow compression, but you have to check "Enable Compress" in the G6 PC software while writing a rom. Then when you run the rom, it will automatically decompress before playing. The PC software will open zipped roms for you, but will write them uncompressed to the cart.

I haven't filled the cart yet, but only because I'm still testing a variety of different games/scenarios. I'll see how I can max it out though.
smile.gif

el_queso

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yes, it's the same as the old G6 - the next time you turn on the DS, highlight the ROM you want and hit select to bring up a menu allowing you to choose which 'slot' to permanently back your save up into. If you continally play the same game, you don't need to back it up, since the save will simply stay in SRAM. However - if you don't back it up and play a different game, it will be overwritten.

Clumsy? Yes. You definitely need to think if you're playing multiple games.

Obviously you haven't tested it properly
tongue.gif

That was the old G6 save system yes.. about 4 months ago since it got fixed though.
It does save to the default first save file from the sram directly everytime it saves. So you DON'T need to restart the nds just to backup the save file to savefile 2-3 etc cause it get's copied to the first save file and overwriting the sram save doesn't matter.

Just try it out.. play a few different games saving normally and then switch to another game without backuping, save there and back to the first game and you will see that the save is still there for both games.

I'm confused. So, I never have to backup my save files? I can just play two different games, and it'll know which save file to use? Is there a purpose for being able to write to the number 2 and 3 slots then? Does the EZ4L have more saves available to it?

htoxad

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You do not have to backup your saves. Just select the game and go.

On my 4Gb (512MB cart) I have the following (with rom trimming)
Tetris, Phoenix Wright, Big Brain, Madden 06, Mario Kart, New SMB, Mario & Luigi, Advance Wars, Magnetica, Bust A Move, Point Blank, Zoo Keeper, Pirates, Break 'em All
I have over 1 Gb of space remaining.

Lily

One Scary Lady
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm confused. So, I never have to backup my save files? I can just play two different games, and it'll know which save file to use? Is there a purpose for being able to write to the number 2 and 3 slots then? Does the EZ4L have more saves available to it?

That's right, you never have to back them up. It saves automatically to the cart, and there are three save files available to each game. Don't confuse it with save slots. For example - New Super Mario Bros. has three save slots to save your game on the commercial cart. This is one save file on the G6 Lite. The multiple save files come in handy when you have a game that doesn't have multiple save slots..

I'm probably being more confusing.
smile.gif

Save mangement isn't as easy on the EZ4L. Technically you have as many saves available as you want on any cart, just rename and copy the files as you see fit.
smile.gif

illumina

Trophies
XP
Country
Does it save it when you turn the DS back on like the M3 or does it do it automatically while you're playing ?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It must be the 1st already
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    1st of what?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    may?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh yeah it's in September
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, yea i think its different
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ok, because here it's in september, right before the fuckin school year starts
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
    TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands: I appreciate the insight!