1. Xplic1T

Xplic1T GBAtemp Regular

You could compare 2 saves from the same game from different consoles and do a dif check to see which text characters were different ... and which text characters were the same. Also may have to do the same with a hex converter. Doubt this will go anywhere though.

2. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

Norway
    It's a Switch, how much personally identifiable information could there be? Doubt they'd store your Nintendo account information or credit card info in plaintext :P

3. Alkéryn

Alkéryn Moon Dweller ~

France
    The only information we would get is hw ones if it is switch related so even if that might be interesting it is useless for hacking

4. DerpyEagle

OP DerpyEagle Member
    Newcomer

Canada
    Fair enough. I still don't want to share the files in their entirety, but attached is the output of strings for the two files.
    strings000.txt is the output for 8000000000000000, and strings124.txt is the output for 8000000000000124.
    These files should contain all the plaintext. It's interspersed between data that was mistakenly recognised as strings, but there's so much of it that I haven't got the time to remove it all. Scroll through the files for a bit or do a find to look around; Most of the interesting stuff is in strings124.txt.

strings124.txt was too large to upload here, so I've put it on mixtape.moe, here.

A lot of the stuff in that does seem to be rPi-related, although I'm not sure why. Can anyone compare their own files and see if they contain the same strings?

Attached Files:

5. kylemsguy

kylemsguy Newbie
    Newcomer

Canada
    The files were there, but running strings on them returned a ton of garbage, similar to what you have uploaded. However, i didn't see any of the strings such as those in the file you uploaded. In particular, the latter file (8000000000000124) was much shorter than yours.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
  6. The Real Jdbye

Norway
    Wtf is this. There are direct mentions of Raspberry Pi in several locations in strings124.txt. Any chance the Switch has a Raspberry Pi embedded in it? :wtf:
    Edit: I think this may be some leftover data from when it was used in a Raspberry Pi that the Switch for some reason found and saved into that file. The folder name "save" could be referring to it being used to save recovered data that doesn't belong to a file from file system scanning (like the lost+found directory in Linux, and the FOUND.000, .001 and so on in Windows)

7. DerpyEagle

OP DerpyEagle Member
    Newcomer

Canada
    That's pretty much exactly what I got when I generated new files on a fresh SD card. I'm not sure what caused the plaintext to be placed in my files on the original SD card.
    Doubt it, but I really have no idea why they're there. The rPi isn't powerful enough to be used as a development board, so the only thing I can think of is an rPi being used as a buildbot? Even so, that's highly unlikely, as Nintendo proabaly has an actual computer as a buildbot.

Alkéryn likes this.
  8. The Real Jdbye

Norway
    I think this may be some leftover data from when it was used in a Raspberry Pi that the Switch for some reason found and saved into that file. The folder name "save" could be referring to it being used to save recovered data that doesn't belong to a file from file system scanning (like the lost+found directory in Linux, and the FOUND.000, .001 and so on in Windows)
    I wonder though, after you erased the card and let the Switch recreate the files, do they still contain any interesting strings?
    None of the data seems obviously Switch related, so it doesn't seem like it's data belonging to the Switch at all.

9. DerpyEagle

OP DerpyEagle Member
    Newcomer

Canada
    I didn't erase the card, but I formatted a different card (same model and size, though) and put it in. The files the Switch created on the "fresh" card did not contain any of the strings in the other files.

10. Xplic1T

Xplic1T GBAtemp Regular

The strings aren't stored in plain text but most likely in hex. Thus meaning 1 space off the total string data could produce a completely different set of resulting hex values.

Alkéryn likes this.
  11. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft GBAtemp Addict

United States
    ...what do you mean "in hex"? Text strings are just sequences of bytes. It's either there or it isn't.

12. Alkéryn

Alkéryn Moon Dweller ~

France
    Plain text don't equal hex but
    i think what he meant is that if you have one bit more in the begining, the rest could be shifted and look like garbage
    but it don't really work like that so i don't know what he meant

13. Selver

Selver 13,5,1,14,9,14,7,12,5,19,19

Hi DerpyEagle,

It's a fluke event. Here's an explanation that is as simple as I can make it.

1. The SD card was previously used in a RPi. The RPi stored data on the SD card.
    For sake of explanation, let's say the layout was as follows:
    Sectors 0-99 == File system (list of directories and where to find files), with pionters to sectors 100-199 for file FOO.TXT
    Sectors 100-199 == the data of file FOO.TXT

2. The SD card was then "formatted", which only clears the file system.
    For sake of explanation:
    Sectors 0-99 == File system, with sectors 100-199 showing as "free" ... available for use by the next file to be created... no "FOO.TXT" file exists anymore
    Sectors 100-199 == Still contains the data of the old file FOO.TXT (format does not overwrite data... it'd take really long time...)

3. The SD card was then used by the Switch, and it created the files you noted. When allocating space for that file, it included sectors 100-199, as they were showing as "Free space" in the file system.
    For sake of explanation:
    Sectors 0-99 == File system, now with sectors 100-199 showing as "used" as part of the file 8000000000000000 etc.
    Sectors 100-199 == Still contains the data of the old file FOO.TXT

4. the Switch writes to sectors 100-149 when writing to file 8000000000000000.
    For sake of explanation:
    Sectors 0-99 == File system, now with sectors 100-199 showing as "used" as part of the file 8000000000000000 etc.
    Sectors 100-149 == now contain new, switch-specific encrypted data
    Sectors 150-199 == Still contains (part of) the data of the old file FOO.TXT

5. User runs strings on the files that appear on the SD card, and finds unencrypted data with interesting strings.

This also explains why, when you put a different (clean) SD card into the system, no unencrypted strings appeared in those two files. Sorry, but it appears that you just found old data because the switch didn't use all the space in the file... it just allocated it ahead of time.

SIX10 and Alkéryn like this.
  14. Alkéryn

Alkéryn Moon Dweller ~

France
    I don't know what you meant by "fluke" event, don't know that word
    though i didn't thought about it happening
    generally when i format cards i wipe them as well with zeros so i didn't thought about it then xD

15. Shinigati

Shinigati GBAtemp Fan

If these are simple files left on the sd card and not obtained via hacking then it doesn't matter what kind of information these files have there is no risk of been hacked or banned unless they literally had your username/password, you're just been paranoid lol

16. Sketchy1

Sketchy1 gbatemp's shadiest warez dealer

United States
    Most likely worthless, because at the end of the day it's still encrypted, and even if it's decrypted magically without the console, we would have trouble with the switch actually accepting the edited save

Last edited: May 4, 2017
  17. studio1b

studio1b GBAtemp Regular

United States
    i took a brand new card placed in the switch i opened the 8000000000000124 file and i found : res/drawable-xxxhdpi-v4/zw02.qmg
    [​IMG]

18. SIX10

SIX10 Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Can you open it in notepad and do a ctrl f for "Rasp"? Im about to get my card and put it in.

Did the Raspberry Pi that touched the card ever have the camera module?

19. studio1b

studio1b GBAtemp Regular

United States
    res/drawable-xxxhdpi-v4/zw02.qmg does not have anything to do with a Pi

20. SIX10

SIX10 Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Sorry, I meant if anywhere else in the file is there references to a RaspPi

Edit: Looked at mine and found nothing related to a Raspberry Pi. Looks like its just you, OP

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - relevance, Nintendo, microSD