Could FlashMe add functions?

Discussion in 'Other Flashing Hardware & Software' started by Sweater Fish Del, Sep 3, 2006.

Sep 3, 2006
  1. Sweater Fish Del
    OP

Member Sweater Fish Del GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Would it be possible for FlashMe to add new features to the DS BIOS? Or is it limited to just altering what's already there?

For instance, it would be really really nice if there was a way to change the screen brightness form anywhere including in the middle of a game by pressing a special button combo. Could this be accomplished in a new version of FlashMe?

Currently I'm using a Passcard and don't see much reason to switch to FlashMe, but if it could do more than the default BIOS--especially the adjusting brightness thing, I'd flash my BIOS without hesitation.

...word is bondage...

2. OrR

Member OrR Rice-megatron Expert

Germany
    FlashMe is a hacked original firmware. Hacking the original firmware to add new functions would be quite tedious. However there is also a replacement firmware that is completely different, built from the ground up. Unfortunately I forgot the name at the moment. [​IMG]

Edit: It's called Firmware Nitro.

3. carloandreacchio

Member carloandreacchio GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Hopefully the FWNitro will have a nice GUI in the not to distant future

4. CatScam

Member CatScam ScamaRama!

United States
    FlashMe is already slightly modified buy removing the splash warning-screen.
    But other cool features would be nice. Although there is already a ton of questions
    about someone thinking FlashMe was messing something up. I can just imagine
    how many more questions would come if they modified it even more.

5. Heran Bago

Member Heran Bago Where do puyo come from?

United States
    Adding new features to the DS BIOS should be next to impossible considering the space limit. Not to mention that working with or modifying the DS's firmware is harder than working with the source (oo, that would be nice! =P).
    There's also some level of risk involved with developing/testing, correct?

6. outphase

Member outphase Custom title

United States
    The reason FlashMe v4 caused WiFi "bricks" is because it wrote into the area where WiFi data was stored. The data is now compressed into the old fw's area. I really doubt there's room to add anything new.

7. Knab

Member Knab GBAtemp Fan

United States
    well heres a reason to use flashme over passcard, it has brick protection.

8. Falkentyne

Member Falkentyne GBAtemp Regular

United States
    That assumes that your flashcard can run flashme correctly when in recovery mode.
    (g6 Lite can't, I'm assuming G6 can't if it uses the same hardware as G6L (no idea if the firmware is different or not).

9. Heran Bago

Member Heran Bago Where do puyo come from?

United States
    This isn't really a valid argument anymore. It's been ages since a DS bricker was released, and the two out there people are already well-informed about.
    Honestly, you have a better chance bricking the thing trying to install flashme, which is still a very slim chance.

Moral: If you're a moron, use your DS in its intended commercial fashion. If you're smart, you won't brick it regardless of weather or not flashme gets installed.
    If you're a moron, don't mess up flashing or go "wow! this 'taihen/romloader' business sounds fun!"