Gaming Could 3DS games be updated via DLC?

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Reading through some of your posts, i think we are all coming to terms with the underlying idea, it's just that some of the process is different according to each of you. a few like myself suggest a separate app, but one suggests that the firmware do it, but they all do the same thing. let me break it down like this:

instead of:
QUOTE said:
Boot Game Cart from Home Menu> Game assets loaded> playing the game

we do this instead:
QUOTEBoot Game Launcher> Game Launcher boots Game Cart > Plays the game with DLC

That's the underlying idea, and i think everyone seems to understand that doing it this way, it becomes possible for updates to already published games without resorting to republishing of updated cartridges.

basically, what the game launcher does is it has a list of data it can update, intercepts requests for that data and instead points it to updated data and assets from the DLC and feeds that data to the game engine requesting it.

example, for fighting games, when the game engine asks for assets for the character selection screen, the game launcher intercepts that, points it to the DLC where it finds an updated character selection screen with an additional row of new DLC characters and feeds it to the game engine. of course, the game launcher must satisfy a few conditions.

It must have the ability to override the game engine, because the data requested will be different from the one it receives, and this almost always ends up with an error. the game launcher must be able to "persuade" the game engine that the data it just received is okay and workable. i actually thought about everything possible to think about this idea, from the way it works with game data, to who must provide the information the application needs in order to "cheat" and "hack" the game (the game devs), to how multiplayer can work, to security issues, to download play, to profit from DLC microtransactions--everything.

I threw it all into one big ass letter, sent it to someone who blogs about videogames, and hopes he/she can pass it on to someone who will take these ideas seriously. because it's from the internet.

okay, that last part was half-kidding.
biggrin.gif

NaokiKitsuhine

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Is what I tried to say ferofax;

boot game launcher > 3DS loading screen appear

in this screen the game searches for any DLC contents, if it found, then it's load the DLC contents addiding more contents to the game

Let's supose:
I just bought the Star Fox 3DS Online Multiplayer DLC

When I boot the game launcher, the 3DS search in my SD card for any DLC related to STAR FOX(a simple ID check or whatever nintendo can use to identify that this DLC is for starfox), if the DLC is found, then before the game launch, everything that the DLC cointain is loaded to "change" what is necessary in the game in aspects of visual or even the original code by a simple "change" and then loads the game with the informations of the DLC. And then If I go to the multiplayer there will be an option to play Online that the DLC loaded.

I think its exaclty what Ferofax said

sorry about bad english...

dragonkid6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just to my 2 cents, Ninty does not do DLC, but they do add game patches. I play CoD:BO and there have been several game patches...BUT NO DLC!!! Also the game patches we do get are small ones, or stage related. On PS3 and X360 they have patched some game mechanics such as gun fire rate or accuracy but they have completely skipped the Wii each time. Ninty just fails at DLC. ALL DLC on Ninty games are already built in, btw Wiiware titles are a bad example since they were made to accept those changes and in the event a big addon/dlc re-downloading the game isn't really that hard -_-

But that's in the past. I think the 3DS has the capability, but game company's are getting shady these days, they purposely hold back on game content so that players don't bored so quickly with the games. Also, I'm leaning towards the whole "security hole" as to why they wont use DLC on the 3DS. I'm a pirate I wont hide it (anyone who goes to sites like these is one to some extent), kinda sucks that Ninty is so scared for their game sells to hurt the average consumer.

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Security really isn't much of an issue, seeing as it's been years but DSiware encryption and DSi mode still isn't fully breached (else DSiware would have been available through flashcarts). If their security measures were that strong, it would be pretty logical to assume that Nintendo went the extra step and beefed that up further for the 3DS.

The main reason i see why Nintendo won't do it though is not because of security issues, but rather they hesitate to put work and resources into providing DLC. They don't like it. But they're certainly more than capable of doing it, if they really wanted to.

@NaokiKitsuhine: (i thought it was kitsune but... oh well) yes, that's the basic idea. they make an application that hacks the retail game and uses DLC to do it. if they were willing to put resources into it, Starfox64 3D online is NOT impossible.

NaokiKitsuhine

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Example that this is possible is ar Tonelico 3, the game is in Blue Ray, but you can download some DLC that change all the texts, voice and personality of one specific character in the game. They Changed the original content with one downloaded...

@ferofax: (No, it's not Kitsune xD) I hope nintendo one day read this topic and see how can print more money...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    Veho @ Veho: :(