CoroCoro Reveals new Gen 6 Pokemon

Comforter

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, and like I said I'm completely over it. ;) We all have opinions, but I kinda wanted to put those analytical skills to use for a second time in a real life argument, lol. Sorry if I turned this upside down on you. ;P Gimme a break, when all you see are crazy quantitative chemistry formulas and organic chemistry structures, you gotta give a guy a break!;)

ggyo

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gamefreak poorly implementing heredity and environmental growth of nature/nurture into Pokemon doesn't make it complex. They added simple math to Pokemon (EV/counting, IV/matrices, RNG/ratios). That's definitely a cheap cop-out for making a game "complex".

So if Activision arbitrarily started putting Algebra equations into COD, would people stop dismissing it as a "dudebro" stupid shooter? You could argue that Pacman is math-intensive. Is Pacman complex?

DiabloStorm

Anti-Semantic Bastard
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Gamefreak poorly implementing heredity and environmental growth of nature/nurture into Pokemon doesn't make it complex. They added simple math to Pokemon (EV/counting, IV/matrices, RNG/ratios). That's definitely a cheap cop-out for making a game "complex".

So if Activision arbitrarily started putting Algebra equations into COD, would people stop dismissing it as a "dudebro" stupid shooter? You could argue that Pacman is math-intensive. Is Pacman complex?
...But it is complex, or inconvenient, whichever way you want to look at it which is why people resort to simplifying things by using pokegen. Foxi4 attributed it's complexity to Korean MMOs (repetition I suppose) but still, that's not the extent of the game, you're overlooking the battle system like I mentioned before as well...

heartgold

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The EV system is great, along with natures and abilities. You can set your pokemon what role to take on, when making a competitive team. That's my favourite part of Pokemon, team building. If you have no interest in competitive battling then you would overlook this, this is just for the people who want perfection from their Pokemon. For example you have a physical Pokemon, you want it to reach it max stat for more damage, also you can tweak with with EV's to take hits against certain common threats, for mix attackers spilt the EV's down to however you want, sweepers want max speed so they can attack first before other sweepers. So much you can do with EV's for each Pokemon.

IMO Pokemon can be played competitive, there's millions out there who do. If You don't agree then that's your opinion. I'm not going to dismiss yours, it's not for everyone.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, well, be annoyed, I honestly don't care. :) I already explained my side and you're turning us both into broken records now. From what he let on he didn't seem to know how the game has changed over time. The old adage "don't knock it till you try it" applies here and I don't think it's "bullshit" but again, that's just your opinion, man.

Yeah but your side is absolute shit.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Shh, no tears, only dreams, etc. etc.
Oh man, my mom HATES when she's trying to talk to me about something important like school loans or me getting a job and I get up and be all personal and whisper to her, "no tears just dreams"

The old adage "don't knock it till you try it" applies here.
Oh come in there are I clearly don't need to try to know they are bad. That argument doesn't hold up logically. I don't have to murder someone to know it's bad.

Reactions: Gahars

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh come in there are I clearly don't need to try to know they are bad. That argument doesn't hold up logically. I don't have to murder someone to know it's bad.

I'll say I have played and beaten every Pokemon game from Red and Blue to Black and White and got halfway through Black and White 2 and I agree with the sentiments expressed by Gahars and co.

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the male trainer looks like the same design as hilbert. Excellent, I'll use this to my advantage in my X/Y fanfic

so I guess no more riding bikes.....you ride your pokemon, nice!

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll say I have played and beaten every Pokemon game from Red and Blue to Black and White and got halfway through Black and White 2 and I agree with the sentiments expressed by Gahars and co.
Am I part of Gahars and co? Because I'm fine with that.

I mean I've played a fair share of pokemon. yellow, silver, sapphire, emerald, heart gold... it's the same thing.

ggyo

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
...But it is complex, or inconvenient, whichever way you want to look at it which is why people resort to simplifying things by using pokegen. Foxi4 attributed it's complexity to Korean MMOs (repetition I suppose) but still, that's not the extent of the game, you're overlooking the battle system like I mentioned before as well...
No, the actual mathematics performed is simple. If you lose track of the EVs counted, calculating them is a little complex. But that's not a core part of the game that everybody uses.

The stories are simple. Exploration is simple. Battling is simple and has little depth, which is why intricate strategies are few and far between. And that's really all there is to any RPG. The story, the world, and the battles.

Pokemon is purposely incomplex so that they it's accessible by its target demographic; children. You can pick at the ambiguity of anything for children, and make it seem that much more contrived.

Is SpongeBob a satire on the struggles of mental capacitation, its loneliness and dependency on parental figures, and marketed to euphemise its perception and increase awareness/acceptance in future generations, or is it just a stupid show?

Reactions: Gahars

porkiewpyne

Report-er
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Is SpongeBob a satire on the struggles of mental capacitation, its loneliness and dependency on parental figures, and marketed to euphemise its perception and increase awareness/acceptance in future generations, or is it just a stupid freaking fun and awesome show?
FTFY

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
To be fair GameFreak has said that they do target veteran players as well. The battle system is what makes people go back to Pokémon, there are people who takes it seriously and there are people that don't.
They've kept tweaking the battle system for those who care, if the series solely was intended for children there wouldn't be any new mechanics and tweaking involved at all, while not as complex as other RPG's out there it's still too complex for a child to fully grasp.
There is a competitive scene no matter how you look at it, and GameFreak is aware of it when designing their games. But that's not to say that it was like this from the beginning, the first games were regular RPG's for kids or people unfamiliar with the genre, much like how Street Fighter wasn't made with a competitive scene in mind in the first place either, combos were an accidental discovery by fans.

You're allowed to think what you will about the competitive fanbase, but the fact of the matter is that there is one and that GameFreak do things with the Pokémon games to cater to that audience too.

If rumors are true X and Y will have ways of looking at hidden values in game for those who are willing to go that far.

DiabloStorm

Anti-Semantic Bastard
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
No, the actual mathematics performed is simple. If you lose track of the EVs counted, calculating them is a little complex. But that's not a core part of the game that everybody uses.

The stories are simple. Exploration is simple. Battling is simple and has little depth, which is why intricate strategies are few and far between. And that's really all there is to any RPG. The story, the world, and the battles.

Pokemon is purposely incomplex so that they it's accessible by its target demographic; children. You can pick at the ambiguity of anything for children, and make it seem that much more contrived.

Is SpongeBob a satire on the struggles of mental capacitation, its loneliness and dependency on parental figures, and marketed to euphemise its perception and increase awareness/acceptance in future generations, or is it just a stupid show?
LOL this guy....do you even play, bro? (no)
Raising pokemon: the math is simple (usually, unless you're trying to figure out specific IV/EVs per individual pokemon while trying to maintain a certain hidden power move and while optimizing weather survivability or leftovers / leech seed recovery etc [but certainly you know absolutely nothing about this]), doesn't mean it takes zero effort, you're looking at maybe weeks to months in order to obtain suitable pokemon that were contrived of the game's mechanics and not cheats. Get this, some people enjoy the pay off after a long duration of effort, and I doubt little kids are the ones to utilize this system.

Battling is simple and has little depth
LOL What? Here, have a parrot response since learning you about the game is a vain effort: Smogon.

I have no interest in X and Y anymore.
Good, makes it so much easier, buh-bye ^_^

Black-Ice

Founder of the Church of Renamon
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
6 months ago I would have viewed the conversation just had in a different light.

On a pokemon note, I can ride that grass-ram pokemon? It just got so much cooler, I need to have it.

ggyo

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
LOL this guy....do you even play, bro? (no)
Raising pokemon: the math is simple (usually, unless you're trying to figure out specific IV/EVs per individual pokemon while trying to maintain a certain hidden power move and while optimizing weather survivability or leftovers / leech seed recovery etc [but certainly you know absolutely nothing about this]), doesn't mean it takes zero effort, you're looking at maybe weeks to months in order to obtain suitable pokemon that were contrived of the game's mechanics and not cheats. Get this, some people enjoy the pay off after a long duration of effort, and I doubt little kids are the ones to utilize this system.

LOL What? Here, have a parrot response since learning you about the game is a vain effort: Smogon.

Good, makes it so much easier, buh-bye ^_^
OR instead of dictating your opinions riddled with ad hominems, you could expand on why you think the way you do... but you won't do that, because your reasons aren't so solid.

To be fair GameFreak has said that they do target veteran players as well. The battle system is what makes people go back to Pokémon, there are people who takes it seriously and there are people that don't.
They've kept tweaking the battle system for those who care, if the series solely was intended for children there wouldn't be any new mechanics and tweaking involved at all, while not as complex as other RPG's out there it's still too complex for a child to fully grasp.
There is a competitive scene no matter how you look at it, and GameFreak is aware of it when designing their games. But that's not to say that it was like this from the beginning, the first games were regular RPG's for kids or people unfamiliar with the genre, much like how Street Fighter wasn't made with a competitive scene in mind in the first place either, combos were an accidental discovery by fans.

You're allowed to think what you will about the competitive fanbase, but the fact of the matter is that there is one and that GameFreak do things with the Pokémon games to cater to that audience too.

If rumors are true X and Y will have ways of looking at hidden values in game for those who are willing to go that far.
Okay, what exactly is a strategic battle plan in Pokemon?

Also, I actually google searched (that's right) these so-called elusive strategic Pokemon battles.

This is the final battle of a Pokemon COMPETITION (haha). It doesn't matter how "complex" your plan sounds on paper, but the "strategy" that's actually being implemented is basic...

So even at a highly competitive level, Pokemon is still strategically blunt.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Wow, only $700?