Hacking Official Corbenik - Another CFW for advanced users (with bytecode patches!)

Wolfvak

nyaa~
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
I'm just saying it's not at the point where I feel it's worth replacing Luma on my setup.

Damn, people not reading the README/OP/thread posts make me so happy :^)

The README says 'I can't tell you where to get this' because it's Nintendo's intellectual property and not mine to distribute. Even giving links to the firmware files is pushing it. I'd like to keep this project as squeaky clean legally as possible so I can keep developing it, thank you very much.

Although this is true, it still falls under the DMCA exception as part of "security research" ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°).

I think than even distributing completely decrypted firmware files is a grey area (and not completely illegal) - one could argue that given a Nintendo 3DS system, one could obtain the decrypted firmware with ease (literally all systems are capable of running D9, given enough resources like hardmod if 11.0)

This is not to say pirated CIAs are OK, since those require a titlekey to be decrypted, and this is obtained illegally. On the other hand, native system titles (like *_FIRM) use the cetk which can be legally obtained from the CDN, as well as the firmware itself, with the only thing between an encrypted and a decrypted firmware is the AES engine and the various undumped keyslots.

Reactions: Joel16

chaoskagami

G̷̘̫̍̈́̊̓̈l̴̙͔̞͠i̵̳͊ţ̸̙͇͒̓c̵̬̪̯̥̳͒͌̚h̵̹̭͛̒̊̽̚
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
Damn, people not reading the README/OP/thread posts make me so happy :^)

Really? It's giving me a headache. *Pops Advil*

Although this is true, it still falls under the DMCA exception as part of "security research" ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°).

I think than even distributing completely decrypted firmware files is a grey area (and not completely illegal) - one could argue that given a Nintendo 3DS system, one could obtain the decrypted firmware with ease (literally all systems are capable of running D9, given enough resources like hardmod if 11.0)

This is not to say pirated CIAs are OK, since those require a titlekey to be decrypted, and this is obtained illegally. On the other hand, native system titles (like *_FIRM) use the cetk which can be legally obtained from the CDN, as well as the firmware itself, with the only thing between an encrypted and a decrypted firmware is the AES engine and the various undumped keyslots.

Which is exactly why I can't distribute the firmkey. CETK and encrypted firmware are okay, but I'm trying to stay as far from black as possible.

Also, this (https://github.com/chaoskagami/corbenik/issues/9) is a WONDERFULLY helpful bug report. Telling me 'Needs Complete Overhaul' is a great way to start it off - 'Let's be an entitled ass and piss off the dev!' /s

chaoskagami

OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
Except that I followed every single thing in it, asked two other security researchers to check I'm not crazy, they followed it, and I asked other's I known who've tried it, and it's still failing.

I think at this point it's more than just the usual 'git gud' tripe, and more along the lines of 'The readme isn't fucking helping anyone'

The 3DS scene has too many rude people, and too much half-assed/dangerous software for me, I think. The guides all contradict each other, people are too scared to share numbers with each other, and half the time the software either bricks your console, doesn't work at all, or has been taken offline, and now we're at the point where everyone's gotta have their own personal CFW, regardless of it works or not.

After 8 different firmware keys, several of my own decrypted, rearranging the files in every possible configuration, and enlisting 2 other people to follow the exact same process, I can say that we're all thoroughly convinced this is vaporware. Nothing, I mean NOTHING fixes the 'FAILED TO LOAD NATIVE_FIRM' shit. I've had enough of the in-joke, or April-Fools that people are playing here, pretending this works, I'm done. Even Luma isn't safe from it. Crippling the ability to play GBA or VC games, crashing the console every time, like, it's just not worth this.

I'd say 'see you later', but I think I'm done here. If you see the n3DS and Freakyforms on eBay in the next 30 mins, that's mine.

If you would tell me what is so wrong with the README instead of insulting the documentation, code, me, and all the other wonderful devs responsible for other CFW like Luma, perhaps I would be able to improve it. You've resorted to name calling and childish "This is fake" behavior.

You've done nothing but complain about how it doesn't work. You've uploaded no logs - the option is there, and I have asked. You offer no actual way for me to debug what is going wrong, whether it is my error or yours. You've insulted me and other devs, and opened pointless issues on my github with no actual debugging information for me to help you with.

It isn't an april fool's joke, nor an in-joke. If you would take a look through the source, you would see it does what it says on the tin can.

Either way, help me help you or go elsewhere. I have no more patience for this, and I WILL report the next inflammatory post.

Last edited by chaoskagami,

Selver

Trophies
XP
Country
(Total SD Sectors - 1) - NAND size = (62333952 - 1) - 3866624 = 62333951 - 3866624 = 48467327
... The actual correct position is (62333952 - 1) - 4194305.

chaoskagami,

Below, please see both a recommendation for your reverseNAND solution, and a description of why it provides value.

Recommendation:
  • Blob := 2**X (with X >= 20, I recommend 24 or more, or 16MiB)
  • Round NAND byte size up to Blob multiples
  • Ensure partition starts on Blob boundary
  • Avoid emuNAND formats with first sector at end of the image...

Why:
Flash media (SD is NAND) has an erase size and preferred write size each multiples of the 512 byte sector size. By aligning reads and writes to the SD media's preferred boundaries, performance can be improved for both READ and WRITE operations.

Thus, if a NAND image is a simple dump from sector 0 .. N, and the SD card uses 4MiB internally as the preferred sizes, it just makes sense to store the first sector at a multiple of 4MiB.

That format that puts the first sector at the end? It only did that to make room for the MBR. Auto-convert those images for your reverseNAND solution, and just align things properly from the start.

The choice of size for Blob is debatable, but 16MiB is not unreasonablem, given today's media erase group sizes.

Reactions: chaoskagami

chaoskagami

OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
chaoskagami,

Below, please see both a recommendation for your reverseNAND solution, and a description of why it provides value.

Recommendation:
  • Blob := 2**X (with X >= 20, I recommend 24 or more, or 16MiB)
  • Round NAND byte size up to Blob multiples
  • Ensure partition starts on Blob boundary
  • Avoid emuNAND formats with first sector at end of the image...

Why:
Flash media (SD is NAND) has an erase size and preferred write size each multiples of the 512 byte sector size. By aligning reads and writes to the SD media's preferred boundaries, performance can be improved for both READ and WRITE operations.

Thus, if a NAND image is a simple dump from sector 0 .. N, and the SD card uses 4MiB internally as the preferred sizes, it just makes sense to store the first sector at a multiple of 4MiB.

That format that puts the first sector at the end? It only did that to make room for the MBR. Auto-convert those images for your reverseNAND solution, and just align things properly from the start.

The choice of size for Blob is debatable, but 16MiB is not unreasonablem, given today's media erase group sizes.

This makes sense in some ways, but the issue is that write boundaries differ from card to card, and the NAND will always be read in 512-byte sectors whether on the SD or actual NAND. This would also differ on every SD, and would be even more complicated to keep track of for people wanting to set it up (with no available userland tools available yet.)

I agree that Gateway/First sector at back is outmoded and should probably be disabled entirely in reverse mode (misdetection being one reason.)

Reactions: Selver

Wolfvak

nyaa~
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
Except that I followed every single thing in it, asked two other security researchers to check I'm not crazy, they followed it, and I asked other's I known who've tried it, and it's still failing.

I think at this point it's more than just the usual 'git gud' tripe, and more along the lines of 'The readme isn't fucking helping anyone'

The 3DS scene has too many rude people, and too much half-assed/dangerous software for me, I think. The guides all contradict each other, people are too scared to share numbers with each other, and half the time the software either bricks your console, doesn't work at all, or has been taken offline, and now we're at the point where everyone's gotta have their own personal CFW, regardless of it works or not.

After 8 different firmware keys, several of my own decrypted, rearranging the files in every possible configuration, and enlisting 2 other people to follow the exact same process, I can say that we're all thoroughly convinced this is vaporware. Nothing, I mean NOTHING fixes the 'FAILED TO LOAD NATIVE_FIRM' shit. I've had enough of the in-joke, or April-Fools that people are playing here, pretending this works, I'm done. Even Luma isn't safe from it. Crippling the ability to play GBA or VC games, crashing the console every time, like, it's just not worth this.

I'd say 'see you later', but I think I'm done here. If you see the n3DS and Freakyforms on eBay in the next 30 mins, that's mine.
Huh. The instructions are dead simple: get 3 firmware files, 3 cetk files and 3 firmkeys (if you want support for everything, if you only want NFIRM you need 1 for each). Seeing that you have a N3DS you also need the slot0x11key96.bin file.

Wow, I just resumed the important part of the installation section in the README in two lines.

At this point I'm just gonna assume you're a troll.
Especially after reading "8 different firmware keys, several of my own decrypted" <- firmkeys are unique for each console and firm type. So it's literally impossible for you to obtain 2 different firmkeys for one type of FIRM/console (I'm gonna assume NATIVE_FIRM/N3DS combo), let alone 8 of them.

Also @chaoskagami you're far more experienced in this but my suggestion is to add something like
"If you don't provide logs/detailed info then I won't even reply to you, and if you keep insisting I'll report/block you"
I've had enough of people shitting over software just because they can't follow simple instructions (BA9 is a prime example of this).

EDIT: Also, the "half-assed software" part is an insult to the whole dev scene and you have no solid grounds on such claim - if you want to qoute the exact part where it's "half-assed", please, be my guest.
Until then, fuck off.

Last edited by Wolfvak,

chaoskagami

OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
Huh. The instructions are dead simple: get 3 firmware files, 3 cetk files and 3 firmkeys (if you want support for everything, if you only want NFIRM you need 1 for each). Seeing that you have a N3DS you also need the slot0x11key96.bin file.

Wow, I just resumed the important part of the installation section in the README in two lines.

Exactly my point. I have no clue what's so hard to follow in it.

At this point I'm just gonna assume you're a troll.
Especially after reading "8 different firmware keys, several of my own decrypted" <- firmkeys are unique for each console and firm type. So it's literally impossible for you to obtain 2 different firmkeys for one type of FIRM/console (I'm gonna assume NATIVE_FIRM/N3DS combo), let alone 8 of them.

The only way this could possibly happen is if he's trying to boot an old and unsupported NFIRM from 2.1 or something, where it decrypts it and basically would panic (and no shit that wouldn't work, because nothing supports that either)

I don't buy that he's a software engineer either. He would have looked through the code before calling it vapourware.

Also @chaoskagami you're far more experienced in this but my suggestion is to add something like .
I've had enough of people shitting over software just because they can follow simple instructions (BA9 is a prime example of this).

I feel you. It's already in the FAQ. I'm beginning to think I need to move it to the top in big bold letters. Ugh. I think I underestimated people.

chaoskagami

OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
Haha, why do I feel like there are too many kids on this forum though?
And yeah I couldn't agree more with @Wolfvak 's suggestion. You should consider putting this up in the main post chaoskagami senpai.
"Logs or it didn't happen."

Edit:
Oh and in bold or something too.

I'm going to continue a 'Be nice' policy until (and if) this happens again. I did update with some bold stuff near the actual github links, so it's hopefully noticeable. I'll probably regret this, but eh.

Reactions: Joel16

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I've been quiet for the past few days. Why? Because I haven't broken anything!
Of course, I was going to test the FIRM0/1 protection, but got busy and didn't! So since I had to stay home sick, I felt like today would be the best day to test it, since I wasn't going to to do anything for several hours.
So I actually tested it on my 2DS, which took several hours of actual testing. But working along side chaoskagami, we were able to do set up and do several tests that were able to confirm that the FIRM0/1 protection do indeed work! Which means, it should always be safe to update your OFW, if a new one is released!

chaoskagami

OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
Of course, I was going to test the FIRM0/1 protection, but got busy and didn't! So since I had to stay home sick, I felt like today would be the best day to test it, since I wasn't going to to do anything for several hours.
So I actually tested it on my 2DS, which took several hours of actual testing. But working along side chaoskagami, we were able to do set up and do several tests that were able to confirm that the FIRM0/1 protection do indeed work! Which means, it should always be safe to update your OFW, if a new one is released!

This was a very very very important thing to test, and it's difficult to test under normal conditions. But anyways, yes, come next update it should be safe to update normally like every other CFW with FIRM Protection on. I didn't see any reason why it wouldn't work, but better paranoid than bricked. Thanks again. :P

Februarysn0w

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
compiled corbenic custom firmware successfully at windows 10. my computer has installed devkitpro and mingw-w64. so make sure you have installed those SDK.

simple script for compilation.
Code:
@echo off
title Sample Script For Corbenik Custom Firmware
echo ************Menu************
echo [0] : Build corbenik cfw
echo [1] : Clean build
echo [2] : exit
set /p NUM="inout number>"
if "%NUM%"=="1" goto 1
if "%NUM%"=="2" goto 2

:0
mingw32-make

:1
mingw32-make clean

:2
exit

J1q2Xmz.png

Last edited by Februarysn0w,

Selver

Trophies
XP
Country
... the issue is that write boundaries differ from card to card, and the NAND will always be read in 512-byte sectors whether on the SD or actual NAND.
... I agree that Gateway/First sector at back is outmoded and should probably be disabled entirely in reverse mode (misdetection being one reason.)

Hi Chaoskagami,

You are right, the boundaries will differ from card to card. However, they will almost always be in powers of 2. Thus, one SD card may have an erase size of 64KiB, while another would have an erase size of 4MiB, and another would have a 16MiB.

I was clearly tired... the only thing I should have recommended was to start all reverseNAND partitions on a 16MiB boundary.

We agree that all reads will be on 512-byte sector boundaries. What's problematic is writes that could have been on a single erase block, but spanned erase blocks due. I would be surprised if any reasonable FAT FS implementation did not tweak allocation to minimize this (see write amplification, which is related). If you can accept this presumption also, then most writes on the NAND would end up aligned.

One reason GW may have chosen for their "first sector last" trick was to get exactly this benefit. I know folks bash GW, but even a stopped clock is right twice a day. :)

In the end, I won't push hard for this... reverseNAND is your baby. Just offering some thoughts.

EDIT
In other thoughts, perhaps you should specify a signature at the end of the media... or even a reverse-partition-table at the end of the media... for your reverseNAND designs. Avoids the whole detection problem altogether, and it's simple.

Oh, and well done on this CFW's architecture. the very concept of having a VM for patches... Brilliantly executed. You don't get enough support (regardless of how much you get). Truly, you've done an amazing thing. Well done. :)

Last edited by Selver,

chaoskagami

OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
EDIT
In other thoughts, perhaps you should specify a signature at the end of the media... or even a reverse-partition-table at the end of the media... for your reverseNAND designs. Avoids the whole detection problem altogether, and it's simple.

That would be a valid solution, but partition tables at the end have never been supported by any OS.

I have an even better idea. Why not just have a specialized container filesystem that is guaranteed contiguous allocation and has large fixed-size files? I could even implement it in a library.

Oh, and well done on this CFW's architecture. the very concept of having a VM for patches... Brilliantly executed. You don't get enough support (regardless of how much you get). Truly, you've done an amazing thing. Well done. :)

Thanks. I'm more an actual programmer than a hacker, and spent a good deal of time on careful design. Nice to see it's paying off. :)

Selver

Trophies
XP
Country
... partition tables at the end have never been supported by any OS.
... a specialized container filesystem that is guaranteed contiguous allocation and has large fixed-size files? I could even implement it in a library.
... I'm more an actual programmer than a hacker, and spent a good deal of time on careful design. Nice to see it's paying off.
It's because they're not supported at the end that you could put them there. And really, I just used "partition table" as a metaphor. Our ideas (partition table, specialized container FS) are in essence the same, namely:
* Global common starting point to discover other information (last sector)
* That sector lists useful information about finding the other information of value, in this case reverse emuNAND start & length
* Custom solution is better than re-use of partition tables, because you won't be limited to 4 entries for the media...

Oh, and when you mentioned you parse the codes with a proper AST & tokenizer, I got the feeling you had some experience. The code is well structured, variables names makes sense, ... hmmm ... must find something to complain about ... AHA! You fail to use const. Yeah, that's it. Must mean it's vaporware. ;-)

chaoskagami

OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
It's because they're not supported at the end that you could put them there. And really, I just used "partition table" as a metaphor. Our ideas (partition table, specialized container FS) are in essence the same, namely:
* Global common starting point to discover other information (last sector)
* That sector lists useful information about finding the other information of value, in this case reverse emuNAND start & length
* Custom solution is better than re-use of partition tables, because you won't be limited to 4 entries for the media...

Oh, and when you mentioned you parse the codes with a proper AST & tokenizer, I got the feeling you had some experience. The code is well structured, variables names makes sense, ... hmmm ... must find something to complain about ... AHA! You fail to use const. Yeah, that's it. Must mean it's vaporware. ;-)

I suppose there's really no difference between a DOS label and a four-file filesystem when it comes down to it. A hybrid GPT setup would make organization of multiemunand much simpler, too, and without an actual custom FS. I'll still implement a fs, though. Seems a good idea.

Well, the rewrite of the assembler isn't done yet, and that's going to take a while. The current assembler (bytecode_asm.py) is one gigantic hack that needs to go. Badly. The asm_rewrite branch is further along locally than on git.

But yeah, I do have some experience. Aside from the use of const, apparently (and it's kind of pointless here - being bare-metal and all. I mean, aside from -Werror.)

Reactions: Selver

astronautlevel

Trophies
Website
ataber.pw
XP
Country
United States
Tested deleting H&S app on my O3DSXL and went on an update. So far no problem on firm protect for me.
That doesn't upgrade FIRM anyway iirc. A better test would be to downgrade to an older version then upgrade again. Don't do this if you don't have a hard modded console obviously

Last edited by astronautlevel,
Reactions: a9lh-1user
A

a9lh-1user

Tested by Chaoskagami and Crystal The Glaceon ..... if i read it correctly :)

Reactions: astronautlevel

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
    Karma177 @ Karma177: @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really...