Homebrew Conway's Game Of Life DS

KonPet

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I was bored today, so I decided to make Conways Game Of Life for the DS.
If you're wondering what that is, this website explains it very well: http://www.math.com/students/wonders/life/life.html

The cells are 8x6 pixels big (due to the 4:3 aspect ratio of the DS) and are arranged in a 32x32 grid of cells. When you run it, it's going to simulate 16 gliders, but you can change how it starts by editing the CGOL.bmp image (leave the top row of 8px as it is or it won't work and only use black and green), converting it to a cmap using grit and putting the files it gave you into the nitrofiles folder. Now you just need to compile it using DevkitPro.

The code is pretty unoptimized, but that doesn't matter as you probably won't experience any slowdowns anyways. Also, I've tried to comment the code, but I'm not very good at explaining those things.

Here's a screenshot of how it looks:
upload_2020-5-18_21-15-8.png

Have fun!

Changelog:
V2:
Added the ability to edit the starting field when running the ROM. Press START during simulation to go back to the editor​
V3:
Today I added the cellular automaton Wireworld, a cellular automaton that makes logic gates much easier to make and allows for some pretty insane stuff. Of course, my grid is still just 32x32 so you won't be able to make huge computers, but it's enough to play around with it and to get a feel for Wireworld.
You can read about it here: https://unnikked.ga/simulate-logic-circuits-using-wireworld-cellular-automaton-11391bc26b1c
You can switch between the two cellular automata using the START button in the editor.
NO$GBA_yf5tCjLYfK.png

Note:
This is just a proof of concept. 32x32 is nowhere near enough for huge computers or things like that. If you want to do that, I recommend using Golly. Golly is available for Android, Windows and more and has a bunch of different CAs to play around with.

Attachments

• CGOL_V3.zip
    315.3 KB · Views: 284
Last edited by KonPet,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Probably won't replace my PC version of Golly but always nice to see the fundamentals made for a new platform. Don't know that I have seen one for the DS before.

You might also want to explain what it is as I find not so many know about it these days.
More of a story from the man himself but

More of an introduction

Reactions: KonPet

KonPet

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Probably won't replace my PC version of Golly but always nice to see the fundamentals made for a new platform. Don't know that I have seen one for the DS before.

You might also want to explain what it is as I find not so many know about it these days.
More of a story from the man himself but

More of an introduction

Thanks, I'll add some resources as to what CGOL is in the main post

qgerman2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
cgol seems like a really great exercise to practice touch input programming on the ds, to alter the initial state of the board

Reactions: KonPet

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/bG1pQld.mp4 +1