Hacking Contenthax - a Vulnerability in Wii U File System Verification

D

Deleted User

someone knows what and where the hash is checked for bootlogo.tex?
Not sure where in the boot cycle this is hashed, but it is possible to work around this by using a CFW that supports signature patches.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just a bit of knowledge for those who were interested:
You can place any files you want to copy to the wii u (rom.zip, meta files, etc.) onto the SD card. From there you can use the mount_sd() command to mount it from wupclient, and then you can use the w.cp command to copy a single file from SD to NAND/USB, something like this:
w.cp("/vol/storage_sdcard/rom.zip", "/vol/storage_usb01/usr/title/00050000/10179B00/content/0010/rom.zip")

Another thing you could do is place any meta files you want to change for a VC game, and then use the w.cpdir command to move them all at once:
w.cpdir("/vol/storage_sdcard/meta", "/vol/storage_usb01/usr/title/00050000/10179B00/meta")

That's a much faster way to copy over modified meta files.

Edit: Also the same thing can be done in reverse to dump files faster than doing so over the network.
Also looking into it, you can use the same technique to dump a 1:1 decrypted (loadiine-ready) copy of a game if you use mount_odd_content() and then w.cpdir from /vol/storage_odd_content to SD. Not of much use now, but for games that are disc only it would allow us to dump the game, encrypt it to install-ready files using other software, and then with a forged ticket install to sig-patched redNAND

Last edited by TheCyberQuake,

JimmyZ

Sarcastic Troll
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Just a bit of knowledge for those who were interested:
You can place any files you want to copy to the wii u (rom.zip, meta files, etc.) onto the SD card. From there you can use the mount_sd() command to mount it from wupclient, and then you can use the w.cp command to copy a single file from SD to NAND/USB, something like this:
w.cp("/vol/storage_sdcard/rom.zip", "/vol/storage_usb01/usr/title/00050000/10179B00/content/0010/rom.zip")

Another thing you could do is place any meta files you want to change for a VC game, and then use the w.cpdir command to move them all at once:
w.cpdir("/vol/storage_sdcard/meta", "/vol/storage_usb01/usr/title/00050000/10179B00/meta")

That's a much faster way to copy over modified meta files.
Or just write a py script to upload? At least no SD card swap needed.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Or just write a py script to upload? At least no SD card swap needed.
I know you can, and I've done it already. But my key point is speed difference. you can use the same exact commands I listed before to instead upload directly from a computer, but the transfer speed is barely more than old dialup speed. If you instead use the SD as the transfer method, the speeds are much greater because it isn't limited by the wupserver speed, but rather the actual transfer speeds of the devices.

JimmyZ

Sarcastic Troll
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
I know you can, and I've done it already. But my key point is speed difference. you can use the same exact commands I listed before to instead upload directly from a computer, but the transfer speed is barely more than old dialup speed. If you instead use the SD as the transfer method, the speeds are much greater because it isn't limited by the wupserver speed, but rather the actual transfer speeds of the devices.
https://xkcd.com/303/

Reactions: hippy dave

Cachuchin1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
might sound a little bit wrong but want to confirm .... is it possible to use wupserver to inject savegames ? (saviine is not working for me :( )

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
might sound a little bit wrong but want to confirm .... is it possible to use wupserver to inject savegames ? (saviine is not working for me :( )

Not sure, but System Config Tool can extract and inject game saves (but this would only really help if you're on redNAND, since it's not really usable on sysNAND).

Supster131

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ *:・゚✧
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was able to extract save games with WUPServer, so you might be able to inject them as well.
Like Daxtsu stated, you can give sysconfigtool a try if you're on redNAND.

Cachuchin1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure, but System Config Tool can extract and inject game saves (but this would only really help if you're on redNAND, since it's not really usable on sysNAND).

I was able to extract save games with WUPServer, so you might be able to inject them as well.
Like Daxtsu stated, you can give sysconfigtool a try if you're on redNAND.

I'm working with sysnand ... and it worked ! .... just need to change specific files .... and my game was on the usb ... I'm doubting of doing the same with the game I have in my WiiU memory

ManuelKoegler

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hmm, buy a compatible title, or wait for it to be ported to my game?
Decisions decisions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zamkad

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
vk.com
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
I'm working with sysnand ... and it worked ! .... just need to change specific files .... and my game was on the usb ... I'm doubting of doing the same with the game I have in my WiiU memory
Is there any method to inject loadiine save(with c and u folders) into game, installed on USB? Except Saviine, of cource.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    MrAllagrande @ MrAllagrande: this chat is public?