Hacking Considering buying CycloDS Evolution

megabug7

Forum Relic
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi

Been reading GBATemp's reviews on DS Flash cards and saw that CycloDS was rated as one of the best.
Apparently the 'MoD' (FFCC:RoF) doesn't happen on this one and also the compatibility is excellent.

I also read that V4 is out with black card and improved build. (feedback would be much appreciated)

So knowing this. I would like to know judging by the size of the rom's averaging 135.00 MB?
How big is this in DS Terms? Maximum file size is 1GigaBit.

How many of the 135.00 MB games can fit on a 2 GB SDMicro Card.

TIA

- F

ojsinnerz.

Damned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
A 2 gigabyte micro sd is 8 times the size of 2 gigabit. So if you're trying to put 135Megabyte sized games you would be able to put on about 10-12 games, I'm not exactly sure. Also remember that it's not a full two gig, but about 1.89-1.9 gigabytes because of the system files already inside the micro sd.

On another note, Cyclo is the best! It has amazing features, best support team, SDHC support (If you want more than 2 gigabytes.), and a lot more. THe only drawback is it's price, which is the most expensive of the flashkarts.

megabug7

Forum Relic
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for replying so quick
smile.gif

50 UK pounds for the CycloDS with 2 GB MicroSD doesn't seem expensive to me -- I found a site (techwizard) that sells it here in the UK.

10-12 games is more than enough LOL
I thought it could only fit around 2
laugh.gif

But then again I'm not sure what the average price of these things are.
I've only focused on CycloDS

SavageWaffle

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The MoD has been fixed by the R4 Team. The R4 is just Drag and Drop, im not sure about the Cyclo. And the R4 is much more cheaper, considering its features its worth the deal. Sadly, you can only have a 2 GB SD Micro Card since it does not support SDHC. And it never will. But who really needs 4 GB? I mean unless you want the whole NDS games on your flash cart.

SpectralSounds

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have an R4 and it did not offer enough space for me. I see a lot of people who say you don't need more than 2 gigs... but, I disagree. That's why I ordered a CycloDS.

I havent gotten mine yet, so its hard to compare it vs. the R4. I know I like the R4 a lot and it would be the perfect card for me if it supported sdhc.

Hyperlisk_

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SavageWaffle said:
The MoD has been fixed by the R4 Team. The R4 is just Drag and Drop, im not sure about the Cyclo. And the R4 is much more cheaper, considering its features its worth the deal. Sadly, you can only have a 2 GB SD Micro Card since it does not support SDHC. And it never will. But who really needs 4 GB? I mean unless you want the whole NDS games on your flash cart.
Yes, the CycloDS is just drag and drop. I love my Cyclo. It's worked perfectly ever sicne I got it.

eldaddio

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I got my Cyclo for about 30GBP, plust £15 for a 4GB Micro SD card. So shop around for a better deal!
I find 4 gigs very useful.

megabug7

Forum Relic
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Has the slow down/lag and freezing in Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin been fixed?
It was mentioned in GBAtemp's Review, but not mentioned in the recently added re-evaluation.

I think my minds made up...
I will shop around but it doesn't specify anywhere which version I'll be buying.
unsure.gif

Would it be safe to assume that the black card is V4 and the white card is V3?

Enter260

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fission said:
no. they both should be batch 4 unless you're buying from a ghetto place with old stock.

Fat D

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I am actually considering getting one because of its active development/support team, the real time save function, PBR and native 3in1 support. However, I am not sure whether the price of 50€ at my closest retailer are worth the added features over the R4.

And I am also a bit anti-cyclo from MaxConsoles "First REAL Modchip" stuff.

Szyslak

Nudibranch Lover
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Fission said:
Has the slow down/lag and freezing in Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin been fixed?
It was mentioned in GBAtemp's Review, but not mentioned in the recently added re-evaluation.

I think my minds made up...
I will shop around but it doesn't specify anywhere which version I'll be buying.
unsure.gif

The freezing in PoR can only be fixed by having a microSD with fast "random access" times. The fastest around would be a 1GB Kingston Japan, or a 4GB A-Data Class 6 microSDHC. Slower memory will give you an occasional freeze on the warp points in PoR, but they are usually near a save point anyway, so the game is quite playable.

Feel free to correct me, but I think the latest batch of CycloDS Evo is the 3rd hardware/shell revision (V3), and the 4th production batch (batch 4). Both black and white cards are the same latest batch. There is no sure way to check the batch before ordering unless you e-mail the vendor, but most vendors ran out of batch 3 in December / January.

megabug7

Forum Relic
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
The place I'm probably going to order from has a 2GB Kingston which is bundled in with CycloDS

Not sure which type that is - but I will be ordering over the phone so they will be able to tell me.

Unchi-san

Unchi on a stick! yay~
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
jesterscourt said:
Not sure if they ship internationally, but if they do, buy the CycloEvo from Real Hot Stuff.

they stopped shipping international and only do domestic orders now due to orders being lost internationally :/

megabug7

Forum Relic
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I found a few places that ship to the UK or are based in the UK. Prices vary but they all seem to supply the Kingston MicroSD.

I suppose if it's JUST Castlevania:PoR that's dodgy, then it's no biggie. I can always get a different MicroSD at a later date.

Thanks bunches for your advice and suggestions
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: :lol: