collectedsoul

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Hi everyone,

I'm wondering if its necessary to use the wii lan adapter to connect to the net via my cable connection. I have a usb connection slot on my router whose cable fits perfectly into the wii's usb socket...why can't I just use this to connect to the net? Any ideas those who have a wired connection?

maduin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You Wii doesn't have the proper drivers to use your cable modem, those are only for computers that probably already have the driver or you install it with the disc that came with your modem. You either need the lan adapter or just need to buy a wireless router to plug your modem into.

Also, this belongs in the Wii Hardware forum, not the hacking forum.

collectedsoul

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
I dont get why...what does the lan adapter do that my usb connector doesn't? There is a 'Change Settings' option in the connection menu - won't it work if I hit the right settings?

Richy Freeway

Trophies
XP
Country
collectedsoul said:
I dont get why...what does the lan adapter do that my usb connector doesn't? There is a 'Change Settings' option in the connection menu - won't it work if I hit the right settings?
It doesn't matter how many times you ask the question, the answer will still be the same.

You can't take USB from your modem to your Wii.

collectedsoul

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
meh.

Annoying this is. Why dont they include the damn thing in the original package then?

Now I have to get that...anything else I need to get? Like Wii points or something or am I good to go if I just get the adapter?

Richy Freeway

Trophies
XP
Country
They don't include it because most people have access to Wifi these days. You'd be better off spending a little bit more and getting a wireless router, then you can have your Wii and PC hooked up at the same time.

Richy Freeway

Trophies
XP
Country
Fair enough, your loss.

A USB Ethernet adaptor will cost you what, £15, a wireless router will cost you about £20.

I dunno how that works out in india, but over here in the UK for the sake of the extra £5 I'd get the wireless router.

maduin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it seems like all you want to do is complain, your question has already been answered and you refuse to go with your only two options, so you can stop posting now, because no one wants to hear your bitch anymore.

collectedsoul

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Read the title of the thread. It says cable not wireless, wiry ass.

And I've figured out what I'm gonna do - I was asking what else I needed after the lan adapter, not if I should get a wireless router. Anyway, I'm going to get on with my life now.

Richy Freeway

Trophies
XP
Country
You're missing the point entirely. Sure you could buy the lan adapter, but then you're going to have to keep swapping it over with your PC. It also doesn't work properly with all the various hacks out there.

Or you could spend a little bit more and buy a Wireless router and hook your PC up to that and the Wii wirelessly and do things properly. That way you can also use ftpiii to transfer stuff over to the Wii without having to pull the SD card out all the time.

Up to you, but I know what I and most other people on here would do.

Just friendly advice.

collectedsoul

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
I get where you're coming from but I dont come from there
smile.gif

Here a wifi connection is not so common. So I'll make do with a wired link. Thanks for your help.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Ok thanks, I love my X but have not messed with a S yet.