OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran
Hi,
My friend got his PS3 recently and he has a Sony monitor which its model is SD(i dont remember rest of its model name but it was like SDME96F, its a 21" non-widescreen monitor) which has a DVI input. He also got HDMI-to-DVI cable but he told me that when he connected them, its monitor said there is no signal, I suggested updating it and he replied back that his PS3 is like one or two versions behind latest one.

So is there special setting in PS3's setting to enable this output? or its always on?

I told him that there are not much PS3 fans here (future VVoltz!), but they know what they do!

P.S. suggest some good stuff to download via internetz via PSN.

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
you need to change the settings in the ps3 system. HDCP is (for as far as I know) only needed for 1080p video playback (can'test though as my monitor is HDCP compatible
tongue.gif
).

EDIT: See post below

test84

GBAtemp's last ninja 2.
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran
He just wants it for gaming, no video playback.

So does the monitor still needs to be HDCP compatible? or it works with any LCD monitor?

And if it works, which setting in PS3 should be altered and where it is.

Tnx.

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
@test84
you need to change the settings in the ps3 system. HDCP is (for as far as I know) only needed for 1080p video playback (can'test though as my monitor is HDCP compatible
tongue.gif
).

An the other question (seriously read the damn reply) in the screen settings maybe?

You could also just have googled or look in your manual (click for online version at the right page for video settings)

EDIT: Since I felt kind I looked up the HDMI-DVD cable thing with monitors non-HDCP compatible (turns out my original assumption was wrong, though blu-ray will only play at 1080p if connected with HDMI and thus with a HDCP monitor);
Sony ManualIf a device that is not compatible with the HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection) standard is connected to the system using an HDMI cable, video and/or audio cannot be output from the system.

test84

GBAtemp's last ninja 2.
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran
Scrorpei, I dont own a PS3 and havent even seen one plus I'm new to HD technology. (being a retro guy for all my life and probably the rest)

Where does that quote come from? IS that quote stated this in gaming section of manual? or in video section?

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Scrorpei, I dont own a PS3 and havent even seen one plus I'm new to HD technology. (being a retro guy for all my life and probably the rest)

Where does that quote come from? IS that quote stated this in gaming section of manual? or in video section?
That isn't what I meant (didn't mean that you should already know my answer); You simply ignored my first reply (that is what I mean). As for your friend he could have looked it up in his manual too, just like I did for him
smile.gif

The quote came from where I pointed with the link;
http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en...ideooutput.html

test84

GBAtemp's last ninja 2.
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran
do you think the statement
QUOTE said:
If a device that is not compatible with the HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection) standard is connected to the system using an HDMI cable, video and/or audio cannot be output from the system.
means for games too?

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Yes I'm afraid that would also be for games... not sure though. Your mate should try and use the normal cable to enable the HDMI cable (see link to video settings). Then try the HDMI cable again. I doubt it will work but who knows (btw make sure his TV/monitor will work with the resolution he tries to get on it).

A good solution for your mate might be a VGA box (though that would make him have to use VGA but I guess he has no choice). Personally used the XCM 1080p for a while which worked okay. My old screen worked okay with it (stretched the image because it didn't understand the resolution, but aside from that it worked fine). My new one is a bit pickier and in 1080p it gives a ghost image behind the normal one. Still better VGA then using your normal TV.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol