Connecting a PS3 via DVI cable to a sony monitor

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by test84, Jan 3, 2008.

Jan 3, 2008
  1. test84
    OP

Member test84 GBAtemp's last ninja 2.

Iran
    Hi,
    My friend got his PS3 recently and he has a Sony monitor which its model is SD(i dont remember rest of its model name but it was like SDME96F, its a 21" non-widescreen monitor) which has a DVI input. He also got HDMI-to-DVI cable but he told me that when he connected them, its monitor said there is no signal, I suggested updating it and he replied back that his PS3 is like one or two versions behind latest one.

So is there special setting in PS3's setting to enable this output? or its always on?

I told him that there are not much PS3 fans here (future VVoltz!), but they know what they do!

P.S. suggest some good stuff to download via internetz via PSN.

2. Jiggah

Member Jiggah GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Needs to be HDCP compatible.

3. Renegade_R

Member Renegade_R Audio/Video Expert

Canada
    HDCP compatible monitors can only accept HDMI inputs from most big name sources.

Time to update the monitor.

4. Scorpei

Member Scorpei GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    you need to change the settings in the ps3 system. HDCP is (for as far as I know) only needed for 1080p video playback (can'test though as my monitor is HDCP compatible [​IMG]).

EDIT: See post below

5. test84
    OP

Iran
    He just wants it for gaming, no video playback.

So does the monitor still needs to be HDCP compatible? or it works with any LCD monitor?

And if it works, which setting in PS3 should be altered and where it is.

Tnx.

6. Scorpei

Netherlands
    @test84

7. test84
    OP

Iran
    Scrorpei, I dont own a PS3 and havent even seen one plus I'm new to HD technology. (being a retro guy for all my life and probably the rest)

Where does that quote come from? IS that quote stated this in gaming section of manual? or in video section?

8. Scorpei

Netherlands
    That isn't what I meant (didn't mean that you should already know my answer); You simply ignored my first reply (that is what I mean). As for your friend he could have looked it up in his manual too, just like I did for him [​IMG].

The quote came from where I pointed with the link;
    http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en...ideooutput.html

9. test84
    OP

Iran
    do you think the statement
    means for games too?

10. Scorpei

Netherlands
    Yes I'm afraid that would also be for games... not sure though. Your mate should try and use the normal cable to enable the HDMI cable (see link to video settings). Then try the HDMI cable again. I doubt it will work but who knows (btw make sure his TV/monitor will work with the resolution he tries to get on it).

A good solution for your mate might be a VGA box (though that would make him have to use VGA but I guess he has no choice). Personally used the XCM 1080p for a while which worked okay. My old screen worked okay with it (stretched the image because it didn't understand the resolution, but aside from that it worked fine). My new one is a bit pickier and in 1080p it gives a ghost image behind the normal one. Still better VGA then using your normal TV.