Hardware Confirmed: The 3DS is region-locked

Joktan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you know what i find weird?is that the dsi is region locked but all flash cards work on the dsi.like you dont have to buy a flash card for a u.s dsi becasue it works like that on all...anybody understand why?on topic not many u.s citizens that i know of have any need for a jap game so they really dont need it.of course japenese people get much better rpgs over therer...

Eric345

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tch that sucks
angry.gif

Eric345

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
powered_by_tux said:
Sigh, soo just for you, Nintendo. Here are the facts:

1. You can't stop piracy.
2. You can't stop piracy.
3. GET OVER IT.
4. History has shown that any counter-measures to hinder (not stop - see 1. and 2.) piracy will eventually backfire, that means, it p***** off legit customers and drives them to piracy.
5. Pirates do not have to worry about that.

Lastly, Nintendo, you should be dead thankful, that there are way too many forgiving customers out there, heck, some people will *snicker* buy two 3DS because of that region-lock. But then again, who isn't so forgiving nowadays. Now, if you excuse me, I'll have to go outside and yell at some clouds.
yeah this is the reason why flashcards is going to be made for the 3ds

BobTheJoeBob

The most optimistic person on the temp. :)
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
powered_by_tux said:
Sigh, soo just for you, Nintendo. Here are the facts:

1. You can't stop piracy.
2. You can't stop piracy.
3. GET OVER IT.
4. History has shown that any counter-measures to hinder (not stop - see 1. and 2.) piracy will eventually backfire, that means, it p***** off legit customers and drives them to piracy.
5. Pirates do not have to worry about that.

Lastly, Nintendo, you should be dead thankful, that there are way too many forgiving customers out there, heck, some people will *snicker* buy two 3DS because of that region-lock. But then again, who isn't so forgiving nowadays. Now, if you excuse me, I'll have to go outside and yell at some clouds.
I don't understand, what are you saying? That nintendo shouldn't try to stop piracy? Why would they do that? Even if it will eventually get hacked, they can at least try and get as many sales as they can in the beginning. And who knows, maybe their security will be so strong that it will last the whole life span of the 3DS. Of course their going to try and to stop piracy, otherwise everyone would do it.

TheDarkSeed

I'm a pretentious sack of shit
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That is right. They're going to at least try and get as many sales they can. It's a business that's what they do. But hearing this news is a real turn-off.

powered_by_tux

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
BobTheJoeBob said:
I don't understand, what are you saying? That nintendo shouldn't try to stop piracy? Why would they do that? Even if it will eventually get hacked, they can at least try and get as many sales as they can in the beginning. And who knows, maybe their security will be so strong that it will last the whole life span of the 3DS. Of course their going to try and to stop piracy, otherwise everyone would do it.

Then, you did not understand what I was saying.

Nintendo has all rights to stop piracy and if it helps them to get more sales, then I am not against it. However, no matter what protection measurements they use, it will eventually be cracked. Don't you think that thousands of crackers will jump on a hardware so much anticipated as the 3DS? It's very unlikely it will last long. Plus, the more obtrusive Nintendos protection it is, the more likely it will frustrate legit users. Pirates will not worry about that, they put the ROMs on their cards and then it just works.

My point is that by using copy protection, you are rewarding pirates - whether you want it or not.

Also, your last sentence is clearly wrong or why is piracy on the DS so rampant, yet millions of game copies get sold?

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Joktan said:
you know what i find weird?is that the dsi is region locked but all flash cards work on the dsi.like you dont have to buy a flash card for a u.s dsi becasue it works like that on all...anybody understand why?
Because all flashcarts to date (except the soon to be released CycloDS iEvolution) aren't DSi-Enhanced or DSi-Exclusive. They just happen to work on the DSi, and run in original DS-mode.
That does make me curious about region-locking in the iEvo though...

But back to the topic at hand: I think we may see Team Twiizers come out of the woodworks and make a region-free hack for the 3DS, and only that, so as to avoid piracy.

CamulaHikari

Kami Kurai
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Netherlands
Joktan said:
you know what i find weird?is that the dsi is region locked but all flash cards work on the dsi.like you dont have to buy a flash card for a u.s dsi becasue it works like that on all...anybody understand why?on topic not many u.s citizens that i know of have any need for a jap game so they really dont need it.of course japenese people get much better rpgs over therer...
It's because they only play DS games and no DSi games, and the DS games themselves have no regionlock, only the DSi enhanced games, and from what I've seen the DSi enhanced games don't work on a DSi with a flashcard.

Kamika

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
I WTFed when I read it on Tweakers.net (a Dutch computer & technology website). Nintendo hasn't learned a single thing from the piracy on the DS and other consoles. The more restrictions, the more piracy.

omatic

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Cuz I'm proud to be an American, where at least I know Atlus games will work for me.
And I won't forget the hacker guys who'll crack this handheld with glee.
/ sung to "Proud to be an American".

Seriously though, I eagerly await the day where the silly restrictions Nintendo puts in place are worked around.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @K3Nv2, 4th what?