Hardware Confirmed: The 3DS is region-locked

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
This doesn't involve me or and alot of people that don't get games from different countries.
1. They are usually released in my country later.
2. Don't really buy anything off of the net.
3. Other Region games are usually in a different language which is stupid.

Isabelyes

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
emigre said:
You're fucked if you want to buy an Atlus game.

This is the one and only reason I'm going to buy an American 3DS.
If I'm going to have to choose between the already-bought DSiWare on my European DSi, or Etrian Odyssey IV,
it's gonna be Etrian Odyssey IV.

(Note: No, EO IV isn't confirmed at all. The EO series is, however, planned for the 3DS, so I'm using it as an example.)

Goofy Time

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FireGrey said:
This doesn't involve me or and alot of people that don't get games from different countries.

Look at Nintendo. Nintendo of America has ignored games that had English options when they were released by Nintendo of Europe.

If Nintendo of America skips Nintendo games themselves, you don't see a problem of that continuing? They've done it on Wii and the DS.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I kinda get why they are doing this. Many EUR roms were originally easier to find then USA ones. I myself would get EUR roms when I could't find USA roms. I also know a certain game stop saling EUR games w/o DEVs permisson.

Varia

Trophies
XP
Country
Just out of wonder, does that mean online games are restricted to your country (to the version of the 3DS)?

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Goofy Time said:
FireGrey said:

Look at Nintendo. Nintendo of America has ignored games that had English options when they were released by Nintendo of Europe.

If Nintendo of America skips Nintendo games themselves, you don't see a problem of that continuing? They've done it on Wii and the DS.
Not really any games i have acknowledged the existence of...

Goofy Time

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Varia said:
Just out of wonder, does that mean online games are restricted to your country (to the version of the 3DS)?

Could be, which could good or bad, depending on the game. If it's an obscure game released worldwide, have fun trying to find enough people in your one region to keep the community booming.

Goofy Time

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FireGrey said:
Goofy Time said:
FireGrey said:

Not really any games i have acknowledged the existence of...

Well, that's because you guys have gotten the games I was hinting at. Nintendo of America currently offers the smallest lineup of Nintendo games on Wii and DS, so I'll try another example.

Contra 4. How'd you like playing a game that was only released in America and Japan?
tongue.gif

gifi4

How am I a 'New Member'?
Trophies
XP
Country
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the DSi region locked as well? If so, all it took was a flashcart to hack it and unlock it...

Goli

RPG
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
gifi4 said:
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the DSi region locked as well? If so, all it took was a flashcart to hack it and unlock it...
You can run DSi enhanced DS games with a flashcart, yes, but not access the DSi features. And DSi retail games aren't cracked yet. Not to mention DSi Ware.

Varia

Trophies
XP
Country
Varia said:

Err... sorry, I meant "online gaming" not online games (which are obviously also region locked).
If a guy with a US version of Pokemon Balck/White can trade with a guy with a JP version, then I'd assume it's possible (since these games are region locked).

gifi4

How am I a 'New Member'?
Trophies
XP
Country
Goli said:
gifi4 said:
You can run DSi enhanced DS games with a flashcart, yes, but not access the DSi features. And DSi retail games aren't cracked yet. Not to mention DSi Ware.
But they will have more of a reason to crack the 3DS as it's 3D atleast, I hope they will...

Goli

RPG
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Varia said:
Varia said:

Err... sorry, I meant "online gaming" not online games (which are obviously also region locked).
If a guy with a US version of Pokemon Balck and White van trade with a guy with a JP version, then I'd assume it's possible (since these games are region locked).
It probably is possible. Capcom already confirmed that SSFIV has online worldwide matches, so why wouldn't other games be like that?
Not to mention the Wii is region locked too but you can play online with people from other regions just fine.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Least they got head in the end