Hacking Confirm if your retail dump and .sav worked

l13f4k3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
No problem with daigassou band brothers p (exept for the fact that giving online to that game is pointless, since there is no way to update it)

soaresden

Trophies
XP
Country
France
What is meant by "rename the sav to game title ID"?
Is the ID of the new header used on the 3dz file?

Btw, just defrag the SD card, and you wont get the error anymore. Any time you get that error, just defrag the SD card. A small pain that is totally worth for using GW
https://www.piriform.com/defraggler

Regards,
Zananok

Thanks for the defraggler, all i had was shi**y one's ! Defraggling the game working good ^^

Let's get back to this save problem now

Reactions: Zananok

soaresden

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Okay I'm calling for experts now ^^

Here joined you have 2 saves .

- AMGP.ZIP -> Metal Gear 3DS EUR 128ko file (retail save dumped)
- 0004000000082400.ZIP -> Metal Gear 3DS EUR 512ko file generated by the Gateway when it creates a save

EDIT : Seriously, I didn't get nothing on Hex Editor, it seems there is no similarity ... (i'm not used to that either), please help ^^

Attachments

• 0004000000082400.zip
    512.2 KB · Views: 141
  • AMGP.zip
    128.1 KB · Views: 124
Reactions: cearp

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
Okay I'm calling for experts now ^^

Here joined you have 2 saves .

- AMGP.ZIP -> Metal Gear 3DS EUR 128ko file (retail save dumped)
- 0004000000082400.ZIP -> Metal Gear 3DS EUR 512ko file generated by the Gateway when it creates a save

EDIT : Seriously, I didn't get nothing on Hex Editor, it seems there is no similarity ... (i'm not used to that either), please help ^^
hopefully someone will be able to figure it out :)

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
If I understand correctly if the game detects a bigger save chip it's spreads itself out over all available space, after which the save is encrypted, if you just try pasting a save from a smaller chip the game won't accept it as its not spread out correctly, trying to spread the save out would break its encryption so it's a loose loose when it comes to any game that created its save on a smaller save chip than 512kb there is no real simple fix short of a way to decrypt and re encrypt saves but properly spaced out, or gateway making changed to allow the loading of saves smaller than 512kb

Queno138

Ravens
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Transferring Retail Saves onto Gateway,
Via Personal Retail Dumps and the saves dumped

Games that worked for me:
Mario Kart 7

Games dumped that memory corrupted on me:
Super Mario 3DLand
New Super Mario Bros. 2
Asphalt 3D
Super Street Fighter IV
Pokemon Rumble Blast
F1 2011

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
I was hoping someone might be able to make a Homebrew App. like to do something like put all your old .sav files in it from your .3ds roms and convert them working to the .3dz roms format that would be so cool cause I have not got a scooby doo which .sav files belongs to which rom????????????. The dates are all mad up on my SD card and none make any sense to me at all and also to boot seen as though I have like 30 old .sav files shoved on my SD card its like looking for a needle in a hay stack, as they say! Its a real pain that none of my old .sav files work on the new .3dz roms format :(

soaresden

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I was hoping someone might be able to make a Homebrew App. like to do something like put your old .sav files in it from your .3ds roms and convert them working to the .3dz roms cause I have not got a scooby doo which .sav files belongs to which rom????????????. The dates are all mad up on my SD card and none make any sense to me at all and also to boot seen as though I have like 30 old .sav files its like looking for a needle in a hay stack, as they say! :(

yeah me too ! it's a big mess in the SD xD

The only way is http://3ds.essh.co searching for the last numbers and it will guide us ^^

Too bad we have to wait for a dev or Gateway 2.3

Reactions: reece71079

Queno138

Ravens
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
I was hoping someone might be able to make a Homebrew App. like to do something like put all your old .sav files in it from your .3ds roms and convert them working to the .3dz roms cause I have not got a scooby doo which .sav files belongs to which rom????????????. The dates are all mad up on my SD card and none make any sense to me at all and also to boot seen as though I have like 30 old .sav files shoved on my SD card its like looking for a needle in a hay stack, as they say! Its a real pain that none of my old .sav files work on the new .3dz roms :(

If my assumption of how it works is right (which is that GW was programmed to ignore the header for .3ds),
It means that the .sav are encrypted differently.

So it's an decryption-reencyption issue,
which is why when loading it says "corrupted",
but can be played when reverted back to .3dS, even after header insertion.

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
If my assumption of how it works is right (which is that GW was programmed to ignore the header for .3ds),

yes, that is how it works :) (at least, what everyone here agrees on being the case) :)

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country

I'm sure some cleaver developer could make an app. to convert them though! I can't do it myself I would not have the foggiest clue but I would if I could! :( It would have to be a Euro/USA/Jap .sav file converter though for the different region roms, like a multidrop, just drag & drop your old .sav files in a converter, click on convert and job done, then just drag & drop them back on to your SD card and away you go. Would be well cool if you could do it that way, would help the masses out and a lot of unnecessary headaches.

Quicksilver88

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Agree in that there are people out there who know how the save decryption/encryption works for 2.x+ keys but for various (and mostly pointless) reasons they won't share the information. I think Gateway could also 'fix' it by just faking the eeprom space on 128kb save games.

It's frustrating because this is mostly a problem (save games) for people who actually buy and play retail games and want to move them to Gateway simply for the convenience of multi-rom. At least Gateway took the first step by providing a method to actually backup/restore game saves so that is something.

Any time I bring up the lack of progress or the slow progress in the 3DS scene I usually get trashed and called ungrateful...... which cracks me up as all I am doing is pointing out the facts which is this scene is moving at a snails pace, really only has one primary contributor (gateway), and seems to lack passion where the 'open' source developers are concerned. This is not a diss to Gateway or SMEA or anyone else for that matter, it is just an observation/commentary based on my experiences of more than 3 decades of gaming and hacking/modding shit. Eventually (as usual) we will get these save/rom tools and likely get an 'open' CFW that runs games from the SD slot......I just wish there was more interest, and more contributors.

Reactions: cearp

hypertek

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i was playing loz albw retail cart in gw classic mode.. figured it try dumping my rom and save, but the save didnt work. I tried renaming the save to match the titleid and still doesnt work.

CJL18

Trophies
Website
www.2shared.com
XP
Country
United States
Agree in that there are people out there who know how the save decryption/encryption works for 2.x+ keys but for various (and mostly pointless) reasons they won't share the information. I think Gateway could also 'fix' it by just faking the eeprom space on 128kb save games.

It's frustrating because this is mostly a problem (save games) for people who actually buy and play retail games and want to move them to Gateway simply for the convenience of multi-rom. At least Gateway took the first step by providing a method to actually backup/restore game saves so that is something.

Any time I bring up the lack of progress or the slow progress in the 3DS scene I usually get trashed and called ungrateful...... which cracks me up as all I am doing is pointing out the facts which is this scene is moving at a snails pace, really only has one primary contributor (gateway), and seems to lack passion where the 'open' source developers are concerned. This is not a diss to Gateway or SMEA or anyone else for that matter, it is just an observation/commentary based on my experiences of more than 3 decades of gaming and hacking/modding shit. Eventually (as usual) we will get these save/rom tools and likely get an 'open' CFW that runs games from the SD slot......I just wish there was more interest, and more contributors.

How can you say snails pace? Yes I agree it really only has one true contributer in gateway but u can play all Roms out multirom now has homebrew. Hacking isn't what it use to be company's like Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft have been trying to stop piracy for years, and have gotten way better at security. I for one am very impressed the 3ds got hacked and what gateway has achieved in less than a year,

soaresden

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi Again !

By making a mistake, i accidently drag and dropped a save file in 3DSExplorer and I didn't know it read them !
I don't use 3DSExplorer because i'm n00bie, but it reads the Gateway saves files.

When dragging/dropping the Dumped save cartridge it says

"Can't Find Key in binary file. (corrupted or for fw:2.2.0-4+)"

So I made some research on 3dbrew and found this whole page about savegames

2.0.0-2 Hashed keyY and 2.2.0-4 Savegame Encryption

When certain NCSD partition flags are set, a SHA-256 hash is calculated over the data from the CXI(same data used with the original plain keyY), and the 0x40-bytes read from a gamecard command(this 0x40-byte data is also read by GetRomId). The first 0x10-bytes from this hash is used for the keyY. When flag[7] is set, the CTR will never repeat within the save image, unlike the original CTR-method. All games which had the retail NCSD image finalized after the 2.2.0-4update(and contain 2.2.0-4+ in the System update partition), use this encryption method.
This keyY generation method was implemented with 2.0.0-2 via NCSD partition flag[3], however the proper CTR wasn't implemented for flag[7] until 2.2.0-4. The hashed keyY flag[3] implemented with 2.0.0-2 was likely never used with retail gamecards.
source : http://www.3dbrew.org/wiki/Savegames

I'm too n00bie to figure it out, but I can understand how a save file is made and the structure of the file .
It's easy to understand because of images and clearly informations about =)

They say in the Tools Part, that "3DSFUSE" is capable to edit savegames.
It's not an exe anyway, so it's for dev only !

Maybe it will help us to convert...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2, Lol K3N1.