Gaming Computer Technicians?? Helpp!!

jozsua_cruz

Well-Known Member
OP
Newcomer
Joined
Oct 10, 2008
Messages
96
Trophies
0
Location
philippines
XP
76
Country
Canada
Okay, I have an Acer Aspire One Netbook Model AOA-110. Im trying to reinstall windows to it. I have a external DVD drive and all i need to do is how to bbot it from there. I really dont know how to boot the CD. I know you have to go to BIOS and put the External first but I dont know which one to put. There is the USB cd rom but it doenst work either when i do that. When I press F12, I only have 2 choices. IDE 0: SSDPAMM0008G1 and Network Boot: LEGACY PCI DEVICE. and nothing also happens when I click any of them. Please if you know what to do.. Help mee!! and Thank you for any suggestions!!
smile.gif
 

ZAFDeltaForce

Specialist
Member
Joined
Sep 9, 2006
Messages
2,794
Trophies
0
XP
571
Country
Singapore
Restart your com. While your com boots up, spam the "Delete" key until you get into BIOS. Poke around until you can set "Boot Sequence" or something similar, and select your DVD drive instead of your HD.

Sounds vague, but better than nothing.
 

Sephi

fool
Member
Joined
Jan 21, 2008
Messages
1,852
Trophies
1
Age
30
Location
Rhode Island
Website
nov.us.to
XP
607
Country
United States
I don't know about using an external cd drive, but if you can't boot from it my advice would be to install with a USB flash drive, following a guide online.
 

jozsua_cruz

Well-Known Member
OP
Newcomer
Joined
Oct 10, 2008
Messages
96
Trophies
0
Location
philippines
XP
76
Country
Canada
doing the usb one is pretty confusingg.. hehehe.. but the only thing i dont know what to do is to boot that dvd drivee.. I dont know which one to choose!!
unsure.gif
 

ZAFDeltaForce

Specialist
Member
Joined
Sep 9, 2006
Messages
2,794
Trophies
0
XP
571
Country
Singapore
Do what you are most comfortable/ familiar with. Treading on uncharted waters could land you in deep shit, especially when your changing your OS.
 

TheLifeRuiner

Well-Known Member
Newcomer
Joined
Jan 11, 2009
Messages
56
Trophies
0
Location
California
XP
58
Country
United States
Do you think you could provide pictures/video showing what you're doing step by step?

Do you still have Windows installed on your netbook, or has it been wiped? If it's still installed, does Windows detect your drive? What CD are you using? Is it an OEM CD or what?
 

jozsua_cruz

Well-Known Member
OP
Newcomer
Joined
Oct 10, 2008
Messages
96
Trophies
0
Location
philippines
XP
76
Country
Canada
TheLifeRuiner said:
Do you think you could provide pictures/video showing what you're doing step by step?

Do you still have Windows installed on your netbook, or has it been wiped? If it's still installed, does Windows detect your drive? What CD are you using? Is it an OEM CD or what?

well, I could tell you what im doing.. umm..

I open up my computer then i turn on my external dvd drive put on the cd the system cd cause there is too.. the system recovery cd then the windows xp. I put it in and then i reboot the computer by pressing ctrl+alt+delete then i go to setup and put the usbcdrom first but i dont know if that is the right one.. when i reboot it nothing happens it just like i didnt do anything!! the cd are dvd's and yes my external cd drive can read a dvd.. and windows is still installed.. and i dont know if windows does detect my drivee.. please helpp me!!
frown.gif
unsure.gif
 

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Joined
Apr 18, 2008
Messages
6,857
Trophies
3
Location
DS Scene
Website
imgur.com
XP
10,782
Country
Croatia
Ok I have an Acer Aspire One netbook, and I installed XP on it using an external DVD drive. As was mentioned earlier you need to set the boot priority so that usb cdrom is first. This is very simple to do, just turn on your Acer and keep tapping the F2 key, this will take you to the bios screen. When in the bios screen you will see several tabs Go to the boot tab, highlight USB CDROM and use F5 and F6 to move it up or down until it is number one at the top. Then just press F10 to save and exit.

Now when you have an external USB DVD drive connected it will try and boot off that first.

Hope that helps.
yaypsp.gif
 

megabug7

Forum Relic
Member
Joined
Feb 4, 2004
Messages
1,066
Trophies
0
Location
London
XP
864
Country
^^^ try that first....

Your notebook should be able to detect the drive from outside Windows because you obviously want to be able to reinstall Windows from scratch. If it's not doing it then, something is wrong.
If you haven't already uninstalled Windows - Restart Windows and install the usbcdrom drivers first.

Can't think of anything else off hand
 

jozsua_cruz

Well-Known Member
OP
Newcomer
Joined
Oct 10, 2008
Messages
96
Trophies
0
Location
philippines
XP
76
Country
Canada
p1ngpong said:
Ok I have an Acer Aspire One netbook, and I installed XP on it using an external DVD drive. As was mentioned earlier you need to set the boot priority so that usb cdrom is first. This is very simple to do, just turn on your Acer and keep tapping the F2 key, this will take you to the bios screen. When in the bios screen you will see several tabs Go to the boot tab, highlight USB CDROM and use F5 and F6 to move it up or down until it is number one at the top. Then just press F10 to save and exit.

Now when you have an external USB DVD drive connected it will try and boot off that first.

Hope that helps.
yaypsp.gif

I tried to do that but what steps did you do it? did you put the cd while its in the BIOS or what? Pleasee you might be the one who can help me!!
 

TheLifeRuiner

Well-Known Member
Newcomer
Joined
Jan 11, 2009
Messages
56
Trophies
0
Location
California
XP
58
Country
United States
Why are you trying to reinstall Windows in the first place?

What are the other choices to boot from on BIOS
I know you can have 2 different choices per choice. For example, you may choose to boot from "USB-something-or-other", but that choice also has two different choices for drives. You may need to change the default choice for your device in BIOS.

I'm not sure I understand everything you're saying, but what I'm asking is if your drive shows when you click "My Computer". It should say something like DVD/CD or whatever the drive is. If not, then maybe for some reason your drive isn't being detected. Obviously, if you can Run a CD from that external drive, then Windows IS detecting the drive.

I think it would be easier to fix whatever problem you might be having with Windows now, than to try and Reinstall the OS, but it depends I guess on what exactly that problem is.
 

Linkiboy

GBAtemp Testing Area
Member
Joined
May 14, 2006
Messages
4,878
Trophies
1
Age
18
XP
988
Country
United States
The problem he has is that the drive is not seen when the bios posts, so he can't boot off of it. Therefore, you should use a SD card or USB drive instead.
 

jozsua_cruz

Well-Known Member
OP
Newcomer
Joined
Oct 10, 2008
Messages
96
Trophies
0
Location
philippines
XP
76
Country
Canada
TheLifeRuiner said:
Why are you trying to reinstall Windows in the first place?

What are the other choices to boot from on BIOS
I know you can have 2 different choices per choice. For example, you may choose to boot from "USB-something-or-other", but that choice also has two different choices for drives. You may need to change the default choice for your device in BIOS.

I'm not sure I understand everything you're saying, but what I'm asking is if your drive shows when you click "My Computer". It should say something like DVD/CD or whatever the drive is. If not, then maybe for some reason your drive isn't being detected. Obviously, if you can Run a CD from that external drive, then Windows IS detecting the drive.

I think it would be easier to fix whatever problem you might be having with Windows now, than to try and Reinstall the OS, but it depends I guess on what exactly that problem is.

My problem is that I cant go to windows so therefore I cant go to "my computer" so im trying to reinstall it using BIOS..
 

TheLifeRuiner

Well-Known Member
Newcomer
Joined
Jan 11, 2009
Messages
56
Trophies
0
Location
California
XP
58
Country
United States
@Linkiboy: He said he has the option in BIOS, but it doesn't work. It may simply be user error, but it could be that it's just that -- can't boot off it so he needs an alternative. Anyways, it is a USB drive, technically speaking, so I'm guessing you mean an SSD/HDD.

What do you mean you can't go into Windows? You have to be very specific.
 

jozsua_cruz

Well-Known Member
OP
Newcomer
Joined
Oct 10, 2008
Messages
96
Trophies
0
Location
philippines
XP
76
Country
Canada
TheLifeRuiner said:
@Linkiboy: He said he has the option in BIOS, but it doesn't work. It may simply be user error, but it could be that it's just that -- can't boot off it so he needs an alternative. Anyways, it is a USB drive, technically speaking, so I'm guessing you mean an SSD/HDD.

What do you mean you can't go into Windows? You have to be very specific.

What I meant was that I cant go to windows is that It doesnt boot up.. The acer page goes up then the windows xp logo then a blue screen pops up and you cant even read what it says because it pops up for like under a second.. then after that it repeats and repeats.. that why i want to reinstall it..
 

You may also like...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But it doesn't have a speaker or battery.
    +1
  • M4x1mumReZ @ M4x1mumReZ:
    Guess you could fit one in there.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The contacts are there, and the device already has charge control circuitry, but you have to buy and solder the battery yourself.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    And that's too fiddly for ole' butterfingers over here.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Gimme a finished product please.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    No rough edges either, I might hurt myself.
    +1
  • M4x1mumReZ @ M4x1mumReZ:
    Nah, I can do it within a few mins.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Well yes, I suppose you can, but I can't.
    +1
  • M4x1mumReZ @ M4x1mumReZ:
    If it has a USB port, then you could perhaps try connecting a power bank.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It has USB-C.
    +1
  • M4x1mumReZ @ M4x1mumReZ:
    That should be alright.
  • K3N1 @ K3N1:
    Well that was an owie hit my hand on the oven
  • M4x1mumReZ @ M4x1mumReZ:
    Hope you're alright there
  • K3N1 @ K3N1:
    I enjoy the pain
    +1
  • M4x1mumReZ @ M4x1mumReZ:
    Not weird at all
  • K3N1 @ K3N1:
    Who said I was normal
    +1
  • M4x1mumReZ @ M4x1mumReZ:
    I didn't ask
  • M4x1mumReZ @ M4x1mumReZ:
    It's okay to not be normal, act natural
  • K3N1 @ K3N1:
    Ok just because you told me to
  • M4x1mumReZ @ M4x1mumReZ:
    That's fair
  • M4x1mumReZ @ M4x1mumReZ:
    I'm still bloody waiting for my eBay item to arrive, still haven't because of the *fuck you middle finger* pay strikes.
  • M4x1mumReZ @ M4x1mumReZ:
    Can imagine other people waiting for their Xmas gifts.
  • M4x1mumReZ @ M4x1mumReZ:
    Timestamp to the conclusion https://youtu.be/tAtaIZD0Ebs?t=624
    M4x1mumReZ @ M4x1mumReZ: Timestamp to the conclusion https://youtu.be/tAtaIZD0Ebs?t=624