computer monitor failing

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by InuYasha, Mar 12, 2013.

1. InuYasha
    OP

InuYasha Professional Coke Fiend

Dec 8, 2007
    United States
    I have an old emachines eview 17f3(CRT) that has a yellow tinting problem(very annoying) since the monitor is very old it needs to be replaced,i'm on an older system thats basically just used for surfing and other daily things so I don't need or want an expensive monitor,are there any good cheap monitors to consider?

2. Arm73

Arm73 GBAtemp Addict

Mar 4, 2006
    Italy
    Switzerland
    I'd recommend a cheap 17" - 20" generic brand LCD TV.
    You can find some models under $150,- .
    Most have VGA inputs and perform decently with your PC unless you are an enthusiastic gamer and need a higher quality display to play your games.
    Otherwise, for internet surfing and common tasks, you can't go wrong, and you can also use it as a TV you know....

3. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    For the record on an old CRT (and so I guess VGA connectors) it is often just a dodgy pin that causes it to gain a tint. Fiddle with the pins and make sure it is screwed in at the back and you should be good.

Failing that for basic day to day use an old/cheap TV should do well as as Arm73 said and will probably spit out a high enough resolution (be careful as those old CRTs did go up to 1280x1024 and better where cheap LCD might still hover around 800 vertical res). For cheap ones I will tend to find one in a skip/rubbish room and fix it (more often than not it is £1 worth of capacitors to replace which takes all of ten minutes) so I have no suggestions for model numbers right now.