ROM Hack [Completed] Love Plus English Translation Patch

bahamut920

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jjjewel said:
- Some players reported "I do love you." or "I do want to marry you." as wrong grammar. (Saying they should be "I love you." "I want to marry you.") I'm not sure if using "I do" to emphasize a sentence is regional or not, but it sounds okay to me, so I didn't change it.
It depends upon context. The "I do" can make those phrases sound a bit defensive. If the statements in question are being made in response to doubt (for example, if a character says, "Do you really love me?" or, "Are you sure you want to marry me?"), then the "I do" is fine. However, if the character is just using those phrases normally, the "I do" sounds a bit odd, at least to me. It might also depend upon the tone of voice used, but since text lacks a lot of the nuance of the spoken word, and the game probably isn't voiced (and definitely not in English, unless you guys are really ambitious...
tongue.gif
), I'd say to leave out the "I do" unless it really needs to be there.

jjjewel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
pacz said:
606 is checked and edited. =)

was quite a bit longer then I expected haha
Thank you very much. Yeah, some scripts are longer than the others.
biggrin.gif

bahamut920 said:
QUOTE(jjjewel @ Sep 5 2011, 02:11 PM) - Some players reported "I do love you." or "I do want to marry you." as wrong grammar. (Saying they should be "I love you." "I want to marry you.") I'm not sure if using "I do" to emphasize a sentence is regional or not, but it sounds okay to me, so I didn't change it.
It depends upon context. The "I do" can make those phrases sound a bit defensive. If the statements in question are being made in response to doubt (for example, if a character says, "Do you really love me?" or, "Are you sure you want to marry me?"), then the "I do" is fine. However, if the character is just using those phrases normally, the "I do" sounds a bit odd, at least to me. It might also depend upon the tone of voice used, but since text lacks a lot of the nuance of the spoken word, and the game probably isn't voiced (and definitely not in English, unless you guys are really ambitious...
tongue.gif
), I'd say to leave out the "I do" unless it really needs to be there.
Thank you very much for the explanation. I really appreciate this. I think I'll take the "I do" part off then.
wub.gif

--------------------------

excl.gif
I need help

Silvermistshadow

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Only a few phone scripts left to go, eh? While I like the extra options added in the newer game, I'll take anything I can get. I can't be much help on the scripts, I need the sentences to follow an order (rather than 50 'you wanna go out on a date' questions from the girl in a row), but it seems that isn't how the game works. However, if you have anything specific to throw at me, I do know a little Japanese as well as English.

jjjewel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For now, you can wait patiently and if you're playing the previous patch(es), you can help submitting the error report if you notice any misspellings/grammar errors/or some translations that don't sound right.
happy.gif

Really, please submit anything that doesn't look right. I'm still very shocked that no one noticed the wrong sentence when you do time reset. It'd be easier to fix if it got reported sooner. T_T

A lot of things in this game are very random. That's why we can't run beta test, but we let you download the work-in-progress patch and help us by reporting errors you find. So, we're really relying on you, too.
biggrin.gif

Silvermistshadow

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, if I had to say one thing that looks wrong, it's probably the player's name. Since you can't enter more than four characters for a name, one almost always picks Japanese. However, this also makes their name the only kana-only words in the game. Perhaps we could figure out a way to automatically romanize names entered in kana? Though, I think if anyone happens to use particle 'o' in their name, it should be rendered as 'wo'. I like the name 'Kiwoharu' even if it's technically a verb with an object attached.

On another note, I swear to Einstein, I am going to need to set '3d settings' to a hotkey on DeSmuME. Pictures with SoftRasterizer, actual game with OpenGL.

jjjewel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Silvermistshadow said:
Well, if I had to say one thing that looks wrong, it's probably the player's name. Since you can't enter more than four characters for a name, one almost always picks Japanese. However, this also makes their name the only kana-only words in the game. Perhaps we could figure out a way to automatically romanize names entered in kana? Though, I think if anyone happens to use particle 'o' in their name, it should be rendered as 'wo'. I like the name 'Kiwoharu' even if it's technically a verb with an object attached.

On another note, I swear to Einstein, I am going to need to set '3d settings' to a hotkey on DeSmuME. Pictures with SoftRasterizer, actual game with OpenGL.

For the names, it's in my list of something I'll have to make a decision after the translation's done. What I can do is to redraw the font. It will be like the name pronunciation in your profile when you select your save data. (When you select MI KA MI, you'll see MIKAMI on the save slot. That was not done by programming or anything. I just simply change the font graphic of Japanese MI to "MI" in English.) Currently, the translation's not done, so I can't apply this to the other part yet. (The name on the save profile use another font set, so it doesn't affect the main scripts.) Anyway, I can't do anything further than that as it will require advance hacking. (It probably needs ASM hacking and I totally have no idea how to do that.)

So in the end, you might be able to create your Japanese-sounded name (MIKAMI, KAWAZAKI, etc.) but it will still be limited to 4 Japanese sounds and the names will have to be all caps.

I don't know if I should do this or not. It might mess up something else. Anyway, I'll probably ask the players' opinions later when the translation's done.
happy.gif

(Some names will look kind of ugly with this method. Names like Aoki or Aiba will displays A-O-KI and A-I-BA. So I don't know if you'll like it or not.)

If any hacker is able to help with the naming part, please let me know.
happy.gif

ddede

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I can finally check this thread again after a month without internet. hahaha.
Anywaaay... Do you guys need help with script editing? I have quite a lot of time on my hands at the moment.
smile.gif

jjjewel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ddede said:
I can finally check this thread again after a month without internet. hahaha.
Anywaaay... Do you guys need help with script editing? I have quite a lot of time on my hands at the moment.
smile.gif

I'll put about 5-10 scripts at a time in this Google Doc Folder;
https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0ByfDJ9iEbm...lm&hl=en_US

If you have time, please help editing. Once this set of the scripts are all edited, I'll add some other scripts in the same folder.
If anyone else also has some free time, please help editing them too.
wub.gif

Anyway, for some of the scripts, I just edit and finalize them myself. So, anyone finds something weird in the coming patch, please help reporting them. (The new patch should be released next week or this weekend if nothing goes wrong.)

ddede

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I've gone through and edited 0346 to 0350. I hope they look alright.
I still haven't changed the part about the mystereous stairs in script 0413- section 5. I'm still not sure what to do for that one.
unsure.gif

jjjewel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Silvermistshadow said:
I edited a couple. Some others looked weird but I couldn't come up with anything better.
You can also add a note or comment under the part you think it looks weird too.
happy.gif
If I can think of something better, I'll try to change it.

QUOTE(ddede @ Sep 15 2011, 10:01 PM) I've gone through and edited 0346 to 0350. I hope they look alright.
I still haven't changed the part about the mystereous stairs in script 0413- section 5. I'm still not sure what to do for that one.
unsure.gif
Thank you. I'll try to add some new files when I'm done editing the current ones. I change file 0413's status to online again, so someone else might be able to help editing it. (If you have Google/Gmail account, when you open the Google Docs page, you should see which files are updated, etc.)
wub.gif

Tronada

Trophies
XP
Country
Jjjewel, you and your team sound like you are doing a great job on such a heavy undertaking. Can't wait to see it!

You mentioned that a patch will be released this weekend hopefully... will that be the final patch with all dialogue translated?

jjjewel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tronada said:
You mentioned that a patch will be released this weekend hopefully... will that be the final patch with all dialogue translated?
Unfortunately, no. Although it seems like there aren't many scripts left to translate, they are the most difficult part. I'm trying to finish them but it's gonna take some time for full translation.
happy.gif

I'm working on the patch now. If nothing's wrong, it might be released soon.

----------------------

EDITED: Patch v0.8 Released. Please check the first post.
happy.gif

ddede

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Wow jjjewel that was fast! hahaha awesome work
bow.gif

The plural of the word 'yen' doesn't have an 's' at the end of it does it? For example: is it '3000 yen' or '3000 yens'?
unsure.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Mondooooo @ Mondooooo: anyone