ROM Hack [Completed] Love Plus English Translation Patch

OceanBlue

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, that's a lot of advice. Glad to hear we have a writer on board, since they usually have pretty good grammar [or at the very least, they can make things sound natural]. I'm not the most knowledgeable or experienced at this sort of thing, and it's worse since I don't know any Japanese at all, so I'm glad we have more editors on board. More interest in this project is always good. =D

Haha, I guess you have much more discipline than me. I keep trying to get myself to sit down and finish Manaka's scripts, but I just got Ar Tonelico 3 :V.

Just as a reminder, make sure you're highlighting your changes. I saw some scripts that had really minor changes [or translations] without any highlighting. Also, keep in mind that you can't have slanted apostrophe or quotation marks. You can disable those by going into "Tools -> Preferences" and deselecting "Use Smart Quotes".

Edit: Should I wait for scripts 1-30 to be available, or should I move on to another girl [probably Rinko, I guess]? I kinda don't want to interrupt my flow on one set of scripts to work on another...

OceanBlue

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
bobsd said:
bobsd said:
same here it seems like every thing is right..
- I don't know if its a clean rom do i need to find another one? or is there a way you can tell?
-and I did that...patch with patch and rom with nds
and no I haven't used Xdelta_GUI before. Also I am brand new to this so I didnt really try it out on other Japanese/ other language games and I just installed Microsoft .NET Framework 4 and it is still a no go but the game works on the emulator for nds (DeSmuME-0.9.6-Win32) fine, but however its still in Japanese.
Ok I will give it a go and see what will happen. Thanks for your help and I will respond if it works or doesn't.
Also if it doesn't work I guess I got to learn some Japanese or try something new
Have you tried using the command line version [or whatever it's called]?
JUST SAYING, I HAVE ALMOST NO IDEA WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT

Basically, what you want to do is:

0. [Optional] It helps to move everything to the root folder [C:\] so you don't have to type as much and won't make mistakes.
1. Run cmd.exe [Windows button + R and type cmd.exe] and type "cd [where your files are located]". If you moved them, it'd be "cd c:\". Otherwise, it's "cd c:\users\zac\desktop\ps[...whatever the rest is]". Press enter.
2. Type in "xdelta.exe patch [patch name] [original name] [final name]" In your case, it would be, "xdelta.exe patch loveplusv06_20110629.patch love_plus.nds love_plus_patched.nds".

I don't know if you need to add the .exe onto xdelta, since I've always had extensions enabled. If it doesn't work, try "xdelta [blahblahblah]".

Also, something I noticed is that this only works with certain versions of xdelta. If it doesn't work, you might need to get a different version.

bobsd

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nvm I got it to work
tongue.gif
thanks

jjjewel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

differentclouds

Trophies
Website
differentclouds.livejournal.com
XP
Country
Senegal
Hi there, I'm new here.

I'd just like to thank all of you for putting in the effort to make this patch. Translation and hacking are hard, I know. (That's an understatement isn't it?)

Haha well I'm not sure if you guys are aware, but a full Chinese translation patch has been released some time ago. I'm playing it btw ^^

I have a little proposal here, so I hope you'll be able to hear me out:

If it was possible for you to extract the game script files from the Chinese patch, I would be very much obliged to help you translate all the text in the game. I'm not very fluent in Jap so yeah...I understand if you may have some doubts because it's like a double translation and accuracy is not guaranteed, but it's still fairly the same.

I did cross-checks with the parts you've translated and what I've played so far.

I can translate everything quite fast because as compared to the light novel translations I've been doing, short lines of everyday drabble will be pretty easy for me. My translations are here: http://differentclouds.livejournal.com/ if you're interested to see.

I'm pretty confident I can mow through most of the text in a few days by myself. You can just tell me which parts you want me to translate first (ie large parts that no one has touched for a long time etc) and I'll do my best. That'll just leave the editing of the text to fit into the text boxes and grammar, vocab checks right?

However I know nothing about hacking so yeah. But I trust that I'll be able to take a large translation burden off your shoulders so you can concentrate on hacking haha. Also, I am confident that my English is of acceptable standard so I guess you shouldn't have a big problem deciphering what I mean.

If you're interested, PM me with instructions on what you need from me and I'll be more than happy to comply.

Thanks for listening!! I really do want to help bring this game to English-playing speakers ASAP because as I've discovered last night, it's really fun (nene

jjjewel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you, differentclouds.

I'll have to look in the Chinese translated rom first whether they used standard table or not. (If they did, it will be quite easy to extract the scripts. If not, it will be very difficult.)

I'll get back to you soon.
happy.gif

-----------

Edited:
To differentclouds,

unfortunately, the Chinese rom didn't use standard table. There are about 3,050 Chinese characters that we have to identify if we want to create the encoding table they used. T_T

But if you have Nene's dream events and can replay them, would you like to help translating that part? I only got the first one (The pre-confession with Love Letter event) translated. The rest of Nene's dreams are not translated yet.

You can play the dream from Gallery-->Dream menu and just type the translation to English. I'll adjust the line break later.

If you can help, please let me know. Thank you very much.
wub.gif

differentclouds

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Senegal
Well that's too bad then
frown.gif

I'm just a little curious as to what you mean by encoding table. Does it mean that certain numbers equate to a certain character? Like, say the number 100--if you were to put it down in the script, it'd equate to a specific character? As for a standard encoding table, you mean stuff like JIS for Jap characters and maybe GB 18030 for Chinese characters?

OK haha, actually I haven't gotten Nene's other dream sequences (besides the one with the letter) so yeah
frown.gif
I'll get to getting the others ASAP. Oh yes, I can read and understand a little Jap so whenever I'm on dates or walking home with Nene etc I'll make it a habit to check with the Japanese scripts you have and I'll translate the text accordingly. Like in 000002d6.txt it's about Nene talking about the stray cat outside the family restaurant, Kuro-chan. I already had that conversation with Nene so sadly I can't help with that translation.

I look out for more though! It's gonna take some time but hopefully I'll be of some help. And btw do you want me to post the translations in the TL wiki or send them to you when I've done a bunch? I'll indicate which scripts they're from and I'll break them based on how they're shown in the text box Chinese game, as well as the original raw script. Or would you want me to do it differently. I'll probably help more with Nene's for now. I don't mind helping with Rinko later if you want. I can also finish up Manaka's scripts so that you can have 100%, 100% completion for her, if you want.

--diffC

jjjewel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@differentclouds.
The encoding table is pretty much as you said.

For the Chinese translation rom, they just replaced the Japanese font graphic with Chinese characters. So if we want to make encoding table for the Chinese one, we have to match the Chinese character to each Japanese table.

Ex. The Japanese rom used Utf-8 encoding, which looks like this;
4E00=?
4E01=?
4E03=?
4E07=?
4E08=?
4E09=?
4E0A=?
4E0B=?
4E0D=?
4E0E=?
4E11=?
4E14=?
4E16=?
4E18=?
4E19=?

And from the picture here (the top one is the original Japanese; and the bottom one is the Chinese) you can see some differences.

lpchfont.png

So if we want to create encoding table, we will need to do something like this;
4E00=?=?
4E01=?=?
4E03=?=?
4E07=?=?
4E08=?=?
4E09=?=?
4E0A=?=?
4E0B=?=?
4E0D=?=?
4E0E=?=?
4E11=?=?
4E14=?=?
4E16=?=?
4E18=?=?
4E19=?=?

You can see that starting from 4E11, the characters start to be different. Although it looks like they just shift the position a little bit, but unless we can match all these 3,050 characters in the whole font table, we can't extract the text to readable Chinese.

If we go with the unmatched encoding table, we get something like this.

lpchfont2.png

I know a few Chinese words and sentences, and I'm pretty sure these are just gibberish. (Except the name "Takane")

jjjewel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
I look out for more though! It's gonna take some time but hopefully I'll be of some help. And btw do you want me to post the translations in the TL wiki or send them to you when I've done a bunch? I'll indicate which scripts they're from and I'll break them based on how they're shown in the text box Chinese game, as well as the original raw script. Or would you want me to do it differently. I'll probably help more with Nene's for now. I don't mind helping with Rinko later if you want. I can also finish up Manaka's scripts so that you can have 100%, 100% completion for her, if you want.

If you can wait, I'll upload Nene's scripts to Google Docs for you later. Some of the scripts on TL wiki are a bit difficult to translate because the scripts were extracted as raw scripts, not formatted. (It's a bit difficult to explain, but many scripts there have some names or some lines missing, and you'll have to guess how they appear in the game.)

By the way, if you know how to apply cheat codes, there are codes to unlock all the dreams and events. (But it won't be fun that way, so if you want to try to get the dreams without cheating, I can wait too.
happy.gif
)

differentclouds

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Senegal
Sure no prob. I don't mind waiting! Take as long as you need. Most importantly, don't rush things
smile.gif

Thank you so much for taking the time to explain these things to me and make everything easier for me!! Hahaha to tell the truth, I don't mind applying the cheats and stuff. I'll go check them out. I'm thinking of replaying the game anyway, since the save I'm playing now is mostly a test run for me haha.

Alright, thank you so much. I'll try my best with this haha XD

Glad to be of help!!

--diffC

juliodpina

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Ah, hello again.

I got the hardest week on my job ever! agh!... however, I'm back at last and I want to say a few words...

@ differentclouds, well thanks for join. I hope your help make the full version of the english patch comes faster but with quality.

@ OceanBlue, I'm going to work as we agreed, okay?.

@ jjjewel, First, I tested 0.6 ver on NDS EDGE card Ver 2.3 = Stable. Thanks!
Now, I'm going back to edit. See ya all there!.-

Rozenheim

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I guess I'll do the editing 1 to editing 2 part?

If no one's working on them, I'll do all of Manaka's scripts, those that are at the Edit 1 stage.

Edit 2 is basically checking for English errors right? Like grammatical errors, or missing words, etc?

OceanBlue

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rozenheim said:
I guess I'll do the editing 1 to editing 2 part?

If no one's working on them, I'll do all of Manaka's scripts, those that are at the Edit 1 stage.

Edit 2 is basically checking for English errors right? Like grammatical errors, or missing words, etc?
Both are just editing and TL checking in general. Edit 1 means that no one has gone through them, while Edit 2 means that they've already been gone through once.

Edit: Man, I thought I'd get some work done today, but I'm at my parent's house for the 4th of July and their computer can't use Google Docs without terrible lag. I probably won't be able to get more than one script done today, even if I don't have summer classes today.

jjjewel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If possible, please try working on Edit 1 first. If you see the "Edit by (name)" on the file, that means somebody has already checked it, you can skip to other files (or you can re-check the file if you want to.)

You can directly edit the Edit 1 files and save the changes. (Some of the files listed as Edit 1 are actually checked and should be at Edit 2 status, but I haven't updated them yet.)

For Edit 2, most of them are now read-only, which means if you want to change something, you'll have to list the file names and the change you want me to edit and I'll edit them for you. You can't directly change them by yourself.

Thank you very much. Please feel free to let me know if you have any questions.
happy.gif

---------------

By the way, for anyone test-playing the game, please also help checking if the translation matches the event pictures. Because Japanese nouns don't have singular or plural form, sometimes we mistranslated singular nouns for plural, and vice versa. (Ex. In one event, I translated that Rinko is playing with "a cat" when the event picture shows that there are actually a few cats, etc.)

Rozenheim

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
jjjewel said:
If possible, please try working on Edit 1 first. If you see the "Edit by (name)" on the file, that means somebody has already checked it, you can skip to other files (or you can re-check the file if you want to.)

You can directly edit the Edit 1 files and save the changes. (Some of the files listed as Edit 1 are actually checked and should be at Edit 2 status, but I haven't updated them yet.)

For Edit 2, most of them are now read-only, which means if you want to change something, you'll have to list the file names and the change you want me to edit and I'll edit them for you. You can't directly change them by yourself.

Thank you very much. Please feel free to let me know if you have any questions.
happy.gif

---------------

By the way, for anyone test-playing the game, please also help checking if the translation matches the event pictures. Because Japanese nouns don't have singular or plural form, sometimes we mistranslated singular nouns for plural, and vice versa. (Ex. In one event, I translated that Rinko is playing with "a cat" when the event picture shows that there are actually a few cats, etc.)

Oups my bad lol. I meant to say I was going to do Edit 1.

Rozenheim

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
To everyone working on the translation:

I'm willing to do all Edit 1 (not Edit 2 because it would be useless lol. We need two people to check the script, right?)

But I would like Nene's script to be translated first
rolleyes.gif
I was playing with her until I stopped because the convos during the walk home/walk school was in Jap
frown.gif

Or if you can't translate Nene first...let's speed things up
biggrin.gif
I'm super hyper to do this!
smile.gif
From what I can see, one new translator and one new editor, and an old translator coming back!
smile.gif
We can do this!!

nirma1230

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Pakistan
ohh thank you guys to participate hardly in the topic, nice sharing, and detailed discussion, thanks to share with us, keep it up

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjocrCuXN-w