Hacking Complete Noob needs help with flashcarts

Blackfractals

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I admit I'm pretty new to flashcarts and emulation in general. I recently made a trade for a DS Lite with an Acekard 2. Not 2i, just 2. I figured out how to add roms, change skins, blah blah blah...but when it comes to updating firmware, I have no clue what to do or where to begin. I also don't know if this topic has been made 1000x already, so bear with me. I have a few questions, and any genuine answers are greeeeatttly appreciated.

1. How can I check what firmware I'm currently using?

2. How do you update/change firmware? (Links to tutorials or FAQs appreciated) What are the risks? Like...is it easy to brick your DS?

3. In the event I wanted to buy an entirely different flashcard, what is the absolute BEST you can recommend, AND can I just go out and buy a new one, insert my MicroSD, and be ready to go?

This last part of the 3rd question is important. I've been thinking about getting a DSTwo, for example, as I've heard a lot of good things about those cards...but as I've admitted, I know exactly jack squat about firmware updating, etc. What exactly is involved in regards to getting a new flashcart? Would I need a new MicroSD for any reason, or just update the firmware on THAT?

I just want to play Super Scribblenauts on my DS, and I'm not sure if I should hold my breath for a patch or a firmware update for Acekard. Suggestions?

pikachu945

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
In the event you wanted to buy a new flashcarts I would get an Supercard DSTWO
they a really good firmware called EOS the only trouble you have to go through if getting the roms
and yes you can use the same Micro SD on all flashcarts

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You don't want to update the firmware, you just want to update the Kernel which is AKAIO.

Press start => more => help and it will tell you what version you are using.

The DSTWO is the best cart. No, you will have to set that up as it requires it's own serperate kernal, but it should be able to share a single MicroSD card with the Acekard. If you really have no clue ShopTemp will for an additional 2$ set up the MicroSD card as part Premium Flashing & Update Service for an additional $2 if you puchase a MicroSD card at the same time.

I have a beginners guide to setting up the Acekard http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=218103

Blackfractals

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK thank you guys so much! I have something called AKMENU 4.21 (HW: 80). I have no clue what this means. Do I need to update the kernel, and if so...uh...how would I do that?

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    there is a plugin that display them on the wii u menu, pretty sure it is enabled by default
  • crafthp434 @ crafthp434:
    so like it doesnt exist
    yeah
    ?
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    it doesn't exist, at least not for aroma
    ohhhhh
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    on tiramisu you can access it by opening mii maker
    okay
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    I don't have a wii u anymore to test it myself, but if homebrews are not visible on the wii u menu I think you can press L + R + minus to open the plugin menu, there should be an option called "homebrews on wii u menu" or something similar
    nope
    it is L+dpad down+ select
    but homebrew is appearing in the home menu btw
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    yes, now I remember it
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    then it is working, I also don't like that they did this but it is the only option you have if you are using aroma
    i just didint know the homebrew launcher didint exist in aroma
    thanks btw
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Im downloading fallout 3 goty edition
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm downloading more ram for my hamster pc
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    New hamster PC, with anal operation and BT connectivity!
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, How do I make enemies respawn on gdevelop after
    the player dies?
    Carrying a PC or phone is so old school!
    Squeeze your cheeks twice to answer calls!
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @Xdqwerty you can use a "spawner" function on any object.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or when your player dies, you can say in code, if enemy exists, do nothing, but if enemy does not exist, then create enemy at certain spot. (This would be a pain tho for lots of emeies)
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Easiest, simple way would be just restart scene, but player would restart from beginning.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, thx in advance
    +1
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BigOnYa, thx in advance +1