Comcast dumping internet connection

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by luckwii, Nov 28, 2010.

1. luckwii
    OP

luckwii GBAtemp Fan

Apr 30, 2010
    United States
    I have been watching for a while now because my internet connection just drops out. My laptop is connected straight to a modem. Anytime my download speed reaches above 1.6M, Comcast dumps my connection. Since I have a modem, it will not establish a new IP address. I have to do it manually each time. It is really pissing me off since I pay $50 a month for my connection. Any way around this?

2. PeregrinFig

PeregrinFig A miserable little pile of secrets

Jun 18, 2010
    United States
    Michigan
    If you know for a fact it's because of download speed, you could try using a download manager and capping the speed. (Obviously this won't work if you're talking about torrents) This definitely wouldn't be an ideal solution, but it's all I can think of.

3. luckwii
    OP

luckwii GBAtemp Fan

Apr 30, 2010
    United States
    Well I have watched it many times. If I am not downloading it never disconnects. If I am, and the speed is in the 1.6 range, then pretty often it is lights out.

4. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    It's more likely an issue with the modem than the ISP dropping the connection. Taking the example of torrents, it's a well known occurance that having too many simultaneous connections (in this case, everybody you're trying to download a small stream from) will overload cheap modems (or routers) and break the connection to the ISP (sometimes it'll even crash and require a power cycle to correct, although mine just resets itself around once a week if it gets overloaded). Heat can also cause the same symptom. However normally, modems/routers should have no issue with speed if it's just a direct download (e.g. from RapidShare).

If it is the ISP, it could be that they have a traffic management scheme you're not aware of and, if you're downloading too much/too fast, it that could be the reason they cut you off. However I've never heard of them doing any more than slowing down your internet - cutting off means denial of service which, if it's their fault, gives you the right to complain about poor service.

You could try a new modem, and if that doesn't work, call up your ISP and raise an issue about connectivity and stability. If you are torrenting however, you can set download/upload speed caps within your torrent client. I normally set my upload speed to 25KBs when downloading and unlimited when seeding, but I also set my number of half open connections to 150 (although some sites recommend only 125 if you're on a weaker modem/router). The default was set to 250, and that used to cause my router to reset around twice a day.

5. Forstride

Forstride The rudder moves when I turn the wheel

May 6, 2008
    United States
    Pittsburgh, PA
    inb4hurrdurrcomcastistehsuxxorz

I have Comcast, and I used to have that problem with the provided modem they give. So, they decided to send a guy out to hook out a direct converter from the cable line (I think) to an ethernet jack. Since then, I haven't had any problems with my internet. I suggest trying to get the same done if possible.