Cloud Saves Coming Soon To PS3

Livin in a box

Livin' in a cardboard box
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Today Sony has detailed to developers a new system to be implemented into their 3.60 firmware update which will be available soon.

This system will allow users to send their save data to external servers rather than having it stored on their hard drive. This will save space and also allow you to use your data on various consoles should you require it as each save will be tied to a PlayStation Network account.

The service, which will be called “Online Saving”, will only be available to PlayStation Plus subscribers (of which I am one) and developers that do not wish to have their saves uploaded to a server can use the copy prohibited attribute that also disallows the copying of save data between other mass storage devices.

Still, good news nonetheless and it will be good to see what else may come of this service.[/p]
Source

We could see more things coming out of this such as PSN games by cloud, but who knows?

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
So with Portal 2 incoming, would PS3 owners need to have PSPlus to upload their saves?

(I know it uploads it to the Steam servers)

Would be crappy if they had to.

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
prwlr. said:
So with Portal 2 incoming, would PS3 owners need to have PSPlus to upload their saves?

(I know it uploads it to the Steam servers)

Would be crappy if they had to.
Portal 2 uses the Steam framework, so your saves will be uploaded to the Steam Cloud anyway. If you want Sony to keep them as well, you'll need to buy PSPlus, but for Portal 2 that makes no sense.

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Lol, I love the way cloud computing is turning from Suns old "the network is the computer" stick into glorified file servers.

Really though, when it's doing anything with private/personal data people should be shit scared of cloud computing. I know game saves aren't that big a deal so even I'm not paranoid enough to be worried about steam.

MeritsAlone

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
iiii dont know about
Seriously, a external hard drive on which sony can access all your saves, who knows what could happen...
AKA Sony threatening people to do their bidding just so they wont lose their save.

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
MeritsAlone said:
iiii dont know about
Seriously, a external hard drive on which sony can access all your saves, who knows what could happen...
AKA Sony threatening people to do their bidding just so they wont lose their save.

Yeah, if you keep all your saves only in Sony's cloud you are dumb. Using it as a secondary backup (keep a USB drive as your main backup) or to transfer saves over to a friend's PS3 is fine but I would never trust it with all my data. In other words, set everything to be saved to your PS3's internal hard drive and manually copy anything you want in the cloud (also be sure to keep your own backups).

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dang that sounds nice, but of course, i'd have to be a plus subscriber
glare.gif

Orange_Bird

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I prefer to have my data on the local drive. I can't seem to see why people think leaving all sorts of data in online storage is a good idea at all.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
the only thing this feature would be useful for would be copy protected save files but even then it wouldn't be worth it because you would have to keep paying PS+ to access your saves, also what would happen if you stop paying? they would prob delete your saves and even paying money won't get them back i wouldn't rely on this at all.

this should be a free feature from the start, if copy protected save files weren't on the ps3 in the first place people wouldn't need something like this.

Ryupower

Brood
Trophies
Website
techmantis.net
XP
Country
United States
a few thing this is good for is older PS3

YLoD:
you CAN'T back-up your saves on your HDD
so you still have the cloud save

upgrade you HDD or buying a new PS3
copy protected save
can be save when you upgrade you HDD

i may work like this
a save on your HDD
and a copy for the cloud save
that you will sync with the a save on your HDD

jumpman17

He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I really wish companies would stop using the word cloud. I'm getting tired of old people coming in looking to buy the Microsoft Cloud they saw on the TVs.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.pcgamer.com/gaming-industry/sony-apologizes-for-sony-interview-with-sony-developer-ne...