Hacking Classic Controller to VPAD - Has this been done?

BossRoss93

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi everyone. I know there are some homebrew applications that allow for Gamecube and HID controllers to act as the Gamepad. I was wondering if there was something like this for classic controllers yet? Reason being I modded my Gamepad to act as a classic controller so I can play my gamecube and wii games on the Gamepad screen with the buttons usable. But in doing so, I cannot use it as a Gamepad. I have two so its not a big deal, but I don't want to keep syncing them every time I want to switch from Gamecube to Wii U.

So if there is something like this great. If not, I think I will start working on it. It could also be used if someone broke their gamepad I suppose, or if they just wanna use a classic controller, so I think more people than just I could get use from it.

This is the mod I just so you guys can see what I am talking about.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

vanartic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
this is actually neat idea, i hate having to use wiimote+nunchuck just to play wii games that don't even require motion controls

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hi everyone. I know there are some homebrew applications that allow for Gamecube and HID controllers to act as the Gamepad. I was wondering if there was something like this for classic controllers yet? Reason being I modded my Gamepad to act as a classic controller so I can play my gamecube and wii games on the Gamepad screen with the buttons usable. But in doing so, I cannot use it as a Gamepad. I have two so its not a big deal, but I don't want to keep syncing them every time I want to switch from Gamecube to Wii U.

So if there is something like this great. If not, I think I will start working on it. It could also be used if someone broke their gamepad I suppose, or if they just wanna use a classic controller, so I think more people than just I could get use from it.

This is the mod I just so you guys can see what I am talking about.

Wow this is epic! Wouldn't it be possible to include some switch or something to change between the sync modes?
Like it's done here? https://www.amazon.com/Pro-Controller-Wii-Nintendo-U-6304900/dp/B009D4JW3U/

JacksonS

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think you could build the classic controller into the Gamepad while still retaining the Gamepad functionality. You would probably just need a switch to isolate both voltage and ground to only the Gamepad or the classic controller (one at a time) depending on what position it's in.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think you could build the classic controller into the Gamepad while still retaining the Gamepad functionality. You would probably just need a switch to isolate both voltage and ground to only the Gamepad or the classic controller (one at a time) depending on what position it's in.
In theory you should be able to solder leads to the contacts inside the gamepad from the classic controller circuit board, so that you essentially have two controllers accepting input from one button

JacksonS

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In theory you should be able to solder leads to the contacts inside the gamepad from the classic controller circuit board, so that you essentially have two controllers accepting input from one button
Yes, that is what I was referring to. If you do that, you usually have to cut off ground and voltage to the controller not being used.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

BossRoss93

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, that is what I was referring to. If you do that, you usually have to cut off ground and voltage to the controller not being used.

Yeah, I was thinking this too. I have some FPC laying around that I can route from my microcontroller back to the gamepad. I just wonder how I would make a switch accessible? Perhaps I can trigger it via some button presses. So like this:

Gamepad ----> Microcontroller/Switch -------> Gamepad - OR - Classic controller.

Should not be too difficult to implement, its just that the FPC connections on the wii u button's circuit is.... odd. Its difficult to tell which is the ground and such.

Wow this is epic! Wouldn't it be possible to include some switch or something to change between the sync modes?
Like it's done here? https://www.amazon.com/Pro-Controller-Wii-Nintendo-U-6304900/dp/B009D4JW3U/

Hey, I completely forgot about this! I should pick one of those bad boys up and check out its insides. Might find something useful! Thanks for the tip man!

But, I asked this just cause, well I really wanted to find some software solution. I actually just ordered a wireless Wii Accessory to USB adapter, and I figured, hey if loadiine supports HID (which I believe it does now right? I cannot seem to find the build that has that functionality built in, if someone knows where it is, could you let me know?) I could plug it into the adapter, and to a USB port on the system, and viola, my classic controller is an HID controller that is emulating a Gamepad... MY god what a cluster fuck haha

Last edited by BossRoss93,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: 16 is becoming bare minimum for today's gaymes +1