CISPA has been passed by US House

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Edit: WOO HOO, just found out due to redistricting I'm in district 4. I love you, Luis Gutierrez!!!!!!!!!!

I thought changing districts was made illegal by the Capitol?

Um... where did you get that impression?

Redistricting is common. The US has a census every 10 years, and the House of Representations is proportionately determined; if a state loses enough people, it then loses a seat in the House (and vice versa). When that happens, the district lines have to be redrawn to accommodate it.

Now, redrawing the lines to unfairly benefit your party is illegal, but that has to be determined by a judge.

smile72

NewsBot
Trophies
XP
Country
Edit: WOO HOO, just found out due to redistricting I'm in district 4. I love you, Luis Gutierrez!!!!!!!!!!

Nope, it's due to redistricting by the state of Illinois.
You know what always cracks me up? The people who complain about legislation like this and claim that our government is horribly broken... and can't be bothered to get out and vote at the same time. Seriously, refusing to vote is about the worst political statement (if you can even call it that) you can make.

I'm not attacking anyone on this thread, but if this riles you up, don't sit on the sidelines. Vote for Representatives who opposed it, and vote out the ones that supported it (here's a handy list of who voted for what). Even if you can't vote, write to your Representatives and Senators about the issue, and spread the message to others. Otherwise, you're not going to see much in the way of progress.

Or better yet: You vote against the Orrin Hatches of the world and then you get the Carl Levins. Some choice there... bah. And of course practically everyone only votes Rep/Dem. We're severely screwed no matter who we vote for. Notice 'for' and not 'against' which is by design of a 2-party system.

I should probably not post anymore on this topic as it'll probably start a flame war. Actually, sc**w it, if you get mad because of this, then you're probably just the type that's putting yourself into an early grave due to blood pressure.
If you mean Carl Levin (D-MI). Then yeah, I'm not fond of him, but he is much better than Orrin Hatch (R-UT) is (for me at least, due to him being very anti-gay rights.)

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Meh. I'll keep some web debugging tools and tunnelers on the side to be safe, but if the big man (President Obama currently) is strongly against making this a law (mentioned in the OP's quote) I highly doubt it will get passed.

Only to have the bill brought back as a zombie once more. I will use VPNs, proxies, fake personal information, anything to not give them proper info to use against me. Just sayin'.

alphamule

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you mean Carl Levin (D-MI). Then yeah, I'm not fond of him, but he is much better than Orrin Hatch (R-UT) is (for me at least, due to him being very anti-gay rights.)
In the long run, they'll both lead to the same thing - less rights protected for everyone. What's the good of equal protection of rights for minorities when the majority gets treated as bad as the minorities used to? Yeah, I'm an evil bastard to think that way. :evil grin:

Meh. I'll keep some web debugging tools and tunnelers on the side to be safe, but if the big man (President Obama currently) is strongly against making this a law (mentioned in the OP's quote) I highly doubt it will get passed.

Only to have the bill brought back as a zombie once more. I will use VPNs, proxies, fake personal information, anything to not give them proper info to use against me. Just sayin'.
And BTW, you should read the RIPA act if you think that proxies or encryption or darknets will help.

smile72

NewsBot
Trophies
XP
Country

Nope, it's due to redistricting by the state of Illinois.
You know what always cracks me up? The people who complain about legislation like this and claim that our government is horribly broken... and can't be bothered to get out and vote at the same time. Seriously, refusing to vote is about the worst political statement (if you can even call it that) you can make.

I'm not attacking anyone on this thread, but if this riles you up, don't sit on the sidelines. Vote for Representatives who opposed it, and vote out the ones that supported it (here's a handy list of who voted for what). Even if you can't vote, write to your Representatives and Senators about the issue, and spread the message to others. Otherwise, you're not going to see much in the way of progress.

Or better yet: You vote against the Orrin Hatches of the world and then you get the Carl Levins. Some choice there... bah. And of course practically everyone only votes Rep/Dem. We're severely screwed no matter who we vote for. Notice 'for' and not 'against' which is by design of a 2-party system.

I should probably not post anymore on this topic as it'll probably start a flame war. Actually, sc**w it, if you get mad because of this, then you're probably just the type that's putting yourself into an early grave due to blood pressure.
In the long run, they'll both lead to the same thing - less rights protected for everyone. What's the good of equal protection of rights for minorities when the majority gets treated as bad as the minorities used to? Yeah, I'm an evil bastard to think that way. :evil grin:
What the hell are you talking about? No, I think the word you are looking for is stupid

Sora de Eclaune

All our splendor...
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
The people who complain about legislation like this and claim that our government is horribly broken... and can't be bothered to get out and vote at the same time.
Chell has explained this for me.

"It isn't that we lazy asses cannot be bothered. It's that the fucking government doesn't let people worth voting for run for anything. The people allowed to run for anything aren't worth one damn vote, not from me or anyone else. The US should go without voters until someone worth voting for is allowed to run for something."

Don't link me with her habits, though. I get out and vote when I get the chance and there's something/someone to vote for.

Also, don't ask me about what she said. I have no idea who or what she's talking about, though in my opinion she sounds like some kind of conspiracy theorist.

alphamule

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well after people get that this is a problem, then get the laws changed. It has happened before, and many times. Think of politics as a pendulum of sorts on these kinds of issues. Waiting sucks, though when it's your ox getting gored. :(

One thing that has helped though is that really strong encryption has become almost universal. It's like a plastic needle in a haystack. No magnets can magically find the data among all the other psuedorandom nonsense, heh.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The people who complain about legislation like this and claim that our government is horribly broken... and can't be bothered to get out and vote at the same time.
Chell has explained this for me.

"It isn't that we lazy asses cannot be bothered. It's that the fucking government doesn't let people worth voting for run for anything. The people allowed to run for anything aren't worth one damn vote, not from me or anyone else. The US should go without voters until someone worth voting for is allowed to run for something."

Don't link me with her habits, though. I get out and vote when I get the chance and there's something/someone to vote for.

How does the government not let people run?

Reactions: 1 person

alphamule

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, who else is going to give you 200 million dollars for a few favors, heh. His employeehenchman who ran the companies for him had to point out that their net revenues alone were in the billions - that was funny where he said "1 MILLION DOLLARS!" to the people on the videophone.

Frank Cadena

Trophies
XP
Country
Sad thing is, if you don't have money, you can't play the political game. For example, for the Republican Primary, I wanted Buddy Roemer badly over the other yahoos that were presented to us but because he doesn't have enough money i.e he doesn't have Super PACs backing him because one of his stances was that he was against big money interest affecting democracy and that he wanted Wall Street to pay their share of what they did to the economy instead of just taking stimulus money and then boning the American people who paid for that stimulus. He didn't get into any of the debates and thus he didn't get the exposure that he needed even with the appearance that he made on Colbert Report. I was saddened by it.

alphamule

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, in the so-called 'good ol' days', you didn't see fights over who won the election but who won the party nomination process (in context of presidential candidates). It was because people would NOT vote for anyone of the tusk 'n trunk variety in states like Texas. All that changed of course, when the northern and southern tail 'n hoofs variety split over the 1960's. In case you didn't get the reference. ;)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://gfuel.com/products/goth-gf-collectors-box?utm_source=Klaviyo_campaign&utm_medium=email&ut...