Hacking cIOSX rev21d2x: Yet Another Hot Fix!!!!

Did d2x work for you?

• Yes, I had an issue with the official cios and d2x fixed it

Votes: 93 48.2%
  • Yes, but everything was already working for me with the official cios

Votes: 82 42.5%
  • No, and I posted what goes wrong

Votes: 9 4.7%
  • No, and I won't report what goes wrong because I am a troll

Votes: 9 4.7%

• Total voters

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
Just to confirm, d2x v4 final cIOSs currently has issues with the latest version of WiiFlow when downloading\saving covers, correct? And using the ehci module from d2x v3 fixes the problem right? I'm adding v4 support to ModMii (without requiring the v4 "modules\d2x-beta" folder), but would like to include a warning in the changelog for WiiFlow users if there's a problem. Thx in advance!

@WiiPower, is there a specific time you'd like to meet in irc? I definitely can't chat before 6pm EST cuz of work. But I can always join later on in the convo so feel free to get started without me if I'm late.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I was more thinking about, come online when you have some time. I am now, and probably will for some hours, considering that i don't have to work today and it's just 16:00 here. Just maybe with some 1 hour breaks...

pplucky

Trophies
XP
Country
@dragbe: I tried your d2x cIOS Installer and I have 2 suggestions:

1. Keep the header lines (where you choose the base, the slot) and scroll the installation lines only below that (instead of full screen);

2. In case internet was used to download files (NETWORK installation), remember to delete the nus folder from the SD card root on app exit...

Thanks a lot for this nice addition to the d2x "family".

bobthebigbat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
tueidj said:
That's not a job for IOS, specific USB device support is handled within the game's code.
Does that mean that "device drivers" for things like guitars, drums, microphones, wiispeak, motionplus, etc are built into individual games, so if there were bugs with the driver they couldn't be fixed with a firmware update?
That is a shame. Is there no way of tricking a game into using another device by spoofing the device IDs? Surely the IOS has to have something to do with the peripherals seeing as "music" games only work with a few IOS (37,56,57).
If it can't be done, it can't be done, it just seems like there has to be a way (I don't actually have any idea how the USB devices work, just wishful thinking).

XFlak

Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
pplucky said:
@dragbe: I tried your d2x cIOS Installer and I have 2 suggestions:

1. Keep the header lines (where you choose the base, the slot) and scroll the installation lines only below that (instead of full screen);
Meh, I don't think I care either way so its up to dragbe whatever he wants to do. Personally I think its a waste of his time, but either way is fine by me.

2. In case internet was used to download files (NETWORK installation), remember to delete the nus folder from the SD card root on app exit...
The nus files were always intentionally left behind even in Hermes and Wanin's installers so that the next time you use the installer it won't need to download that base IOS a second time. I think it should stay that way.

Thanks a lot for this nice addition to the d2x "family".
its awesome that dragbe's name starts with a "d", originally d2x stood for: d=davebaol + 2x=xabby666 & XFlak, but I think we could have it stand for: d2=davebaol & dragbe + 2x=xabby666 & XFlak. I'll leave that up to davebaol though, since I'm indifferent and he's the unofficial leader of the d2x team
biggrin.gif
Sorry to ask this a 2nd time, but can some1 please confirm that d2x v4 final cIOSs currently have issues with the latest version of WiiFlow when downloading\saving covers? And using the ehci module from d2x v3 fixes the problem right?

Skater4599

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@xflak - I have tried beta 4 doing exactly that and yes wiiflow has issues and yes using EHCI from v3 fixed it, I have not had a chance to make/install V4 with v3 EHCI yet to confirm but Nothing has changed from that so I would say 99.9% chance its the same result. I plan on doing this tonight for sure when im off work though

XFlak

Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
@Skater4599, thx for your answer! I'm not looking forward to all the WiiFlow users complaining about that once I update ModMii to use d2x v4 cIOSs... damn WiiFlow users... when will u learn cfg usb loader is superior (yea, I'm talking to you DeadlyFoez, lol). No disrespect to WiiFlow or its devs, just my opinion. I'm mainly just sick and tired of hearing that d2x cIOSs cause lags or errors in WiiFlow when they work fine in cfg usb loader.

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
bobthebigbat said:
Does that mean that "device drivers" for things like guitars, drums, microphones, wiispeak, motionplus, etc are built into individual games, so if there were bugs with the driver they couldn't be fixed with a firmware update?
Correct. And yes, there are bugs - RB3 is practically unplayable on vox because the microphone doesn't work as intended.
QUOTEThat is a shame. Is there no way of tricking a game into using another device by spoofing the device IDs? Surely the IOS has to have something to do with the peripherals seeing as "music" games only work with a few IOS (37,56,57).
If it can't be done, it can't be done, it just seems like there has to be a way (I don't actually have any idea how the USB devices work, just wishful thinking).
Changing IDs is pretty simple but for that to work the devices have to behave in exactly the same way and I don't think that would be the case with the dual microphones. It's definitely possible to do complete device "spoofing", but I wouldn't hold your breath.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Strange, now with d2x56v4 my NeoGamma exit problem is gone. I hope you are happy to hear that NeoGamma R9 beta 48 now implements the updated IOS Reload block(not tested with other IOS slots than 249, but should work) and the return to channel function.

Etheboss

Official LULWUT supporter
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
XFlak said:
@Skater4599, thx for your answer! I'm not looking forward to all the WiiFlow users complaining about that once I update ModMii to use d2x v4 cIOSs... damn WiiFlow users... when will u learn cfg usb loader is superior (yea, I'm talking to you DeadlyFoez, lol). No disrespect to WiiFlow or its devs, just my opinion. I'm mainly just sick and tired of hearing that d2x cIOSs cause lags or errors in WiiFlow when they work fine in cfg usb loader.
Yeah, i hear you, i am a mayor wiiflow fan (and tester), but my advise for now (with pain in my heart) is to don't look back, Wiiflow is the one now who has to catch up.

OlivierTheBest

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello,

QUOTE said:
@OlivierTheBest
xfcrowman is right, MightyChannels v11.1 recognizes d2x cios correctly only if its version is between 21 and 30000.

This was my problem.

Anyway I have still a concern with TV SHOW KING that works mighty channel with CIOS 17 based on 38 but not with CIOS 21 D2X V4 based on 38.

It got error

342:FileSteamlmpl.cpp
assert failed false

during its start.

Regards

Olivier

kamiro04

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Wow, the installer is great, nice work dragbe!
I've posted the respective hashes on the official cfg post so it can be added to the next release, thanks for all your hard work!

Fox888

Trophies
XP
Country
I said this in the Neogamma thread :

really cool, now is my backup copy of CSI Fatal Conspiracy working..

Thanks a lot for a great update

(installed 249 d2x v4 base 56 into slot 248 and set Neogamma r9 beta 48 to boot into that slot and set Block ios reload : for discs)

Thanks a lot to you to davebaol for a great update
yaywii.gif

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Davebaol i've been thinking about blocking the IOS Reloads for usb loading, but the best i could come up with is extremely hacky(and won't work anyways):
Patch the real apploader executable(the 2nd part of the apploader.bin) to have 0x80001800 as entrypoint, and have code @0x80001800 that loads the cIOS, reinits the usb drive and then jumps to the real apploader entrypoint. I don't think it's worth wasting time on how many issues exist with this exactly. But one of the problems with that is that it's still unknown (to us...) when the IOS Reload happens in the .dol loading process.

Anyways, it should be possible to do this inside the cIOS alone, sneek proves it, and that would be a far more clean solution. If you seriously want to investigate this, we should write a test program 1st where we can set all circumstances of the IOS Reload. If we don't get it to work inside our own program to keep the usb loading alive, i doubt we have a chance of doing so in actual games. Also we could use this to determine what commands the cIOS needs to execute to keep the usb loading online and which are not required. I fear that some HDDs might need some special code to reboot/reinit, while others just stay online and only the cIOS needs to sort out its own stuff.

Quick overview of what i mean:

Load IOS249
Init USB
Mount wbfs with fixed title id
Read disc id
Open Partition
perform an actual read

IOS Reload
(Init USB) the important question to me is if this is required at all, or if there are drives that don't need it. If i see it correctly, this is ppc code and can't just be executed in the cIOS
Mount wbfs with title id from 0x80000000
Read disc id
[Open Partition] i don't know if that is required or not
perform read

IceIceBird

Trophies
XP
Country
What is the main purpose of an IOS Reload Call (besides the obvious to reload the IOS)? Why are/have the programmers opted/choosen to use this feature, maybe we can just fake it by emulate everything a normal ios reload call does without actually reloading the IOS and lose the connection to the USB drive.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
IceIceBird said:
What is the main purpose of an IOS Reload Call (besides the obvious to reload the IOS)? Why are/have the programmers opted/choosen to use this feature, maybe we can just fake it by emulate everything a normal ios reload call does without actually reloading the IOS and lose the connection to the USB drive.

I think that's what mode 1 of the IOS Reload block code does, and it does not work. Also, i think not even Waninkoko actually found the code in the game that is responsible for performing the IOS Reload, so in order to patch it out, you would need to find it 1st.

davebaol

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
@WiiPower
Hmmm, the approach you suggest sounds interesting.
Have you already an early version of the test app?

So far I have investigated the problem by doing the reverse engineering of both DI and ES modules with IDA Pro Advanced 5.5.

PS:
Method 1 of the IOS reload block code does really nothing, it merely ignores ios reload request and returns success.
No wonder it doesn't work.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Not yet. But i guess i could just patch those extra lines of code into NeoGamma's game loading code, so it shouldn't be much work. Maybe i'll do it later today.

icebrg5

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Can wiiflow use these new versions?

I know they don't show up properly if you look in the credits section on wiiflow but can they still be used and retain all the features even though the version is showing as something it's not?

wiiflow R304 by the way it what i am using.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/wZgjSNb-o4c?si=ajt4Lgq_LTYcXxs2 +1