Hacking cIOSX rev20 released

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BryceOne

Does Sam&Max Season 1 or 2 work with cIOS 20? If so, what base/slot should I use?

qwertymodo

Trophies
Website
qwertymodo.com
XP
Country
United States
haiggoh said:
If I do get that right, both IOS 56 and IOS 37 used as base IOS enable you to play every game out there fully functional, whereas IOS57 allows faster loading times but on the other hand no support for music games and monster hunter...

Wouldn't it be possible to do a merged IOS like those in Hermes v4?

e.g. IOS249, base 57 merged with 37

That would bring as fast loading times AND all games out there would work with it. So there wouldn't be any need to switch between different IOSes ever again.

If I had any experience in coding I would start trying to program that right now! Imagine how amazing that would be! The ultimate cIOS that combines all the good in one
blush.gif

It doesn't work that way. There is a reason Hermes ditched the merged IOSes in v5, and that's because it's better that way. The Wii is designed so that you have multiple IOS slots for different IOSes with different feature sets. That's how it's supposed to work, which is why the cIOSes are now doing so as well. If there was "one IOS to rule them all" there would be no IOS slots at all and you would have a much more traditional firmware model. The slots are there for a reason and there is no point in reinventing the wheel. Yes it's confusing if you don't bother to read or understand what you are doing, but if you don't understand what you are doing you probably shouldn't be modding your own console in the first place. Learning + Understanding FTW.

QUOTE(BryceOne @ Aug 1 2010, 12:59 PM) Does Sam&Max Season 1 or 2 work with cIOS 20? If so, what base/slot should I use?

IIRC, Sam and Max is in the same boat as Metroid Prime Trilogy, which means it will work FROM A DISC BACKUP BUT NOT FROM USB (unless you use the current workarounds such as alt. dol loading)

hetfield

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
IOS36 -> required by most homebrew and games = not needed, its already enabled with IOS236
IOS37 -> Required for music games and Monster Hunter Tri, WiiSpeak = until now this was mostly chosen in IOS250
IOS38 -> Enhanced DVD-R support, Microphones incl. hub for 2 mics. = until now standard choice for IOS249
IOS53 -> WiiFit Plus
IOS55 -> WiiSpeak, and several newer games that give error #002 without it
IOS56 -> used by Beatles Rock Band and Super Mario Galazy 2 ??? Super mario galaxy works fine with IOS249rev19[38 and 57]
IOS57 -> Enhanced USB Support, possibly ethernet support
IOS60 -> SDHC Support
IOS61 -> SDHC Support
IOS70 -> SDHC Support
IOS80 -> SDHC Support

hetfield

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
BryceOne said:
Does Sam&Max Season 1 or 2 work with cIOS 20? If so, what base/slot should I use?

Sam and Max work perfect on USB HDD with USBLoader CFG and IOS249rev19[57 or38] IF you place all the WDM files from Neogamma in the usb-loader folder.

Same thing for rev20

bwillb

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hetfield said:
IOS36 -> required by most homebrew and games = not needed, its already enabled with IOS236
IOS37 -> Required for music games and Monster Hunter Tri, WiiSpeak = until now this was mostly chosen in IOS250
IOS38 -> Enhanced DVD-R support, Microphones incl. hub for 2 mics. = until now standard choice for IOS249
IOS53 -> WiiFit Plus
IOS55 -> WiiSpeak, and several newer games that give error #002 without it
IOS56 -> used by Beatles Rock Band and Super Mario Galazy 2 ??? Super mario galaxy works fine with IOS249rev19[38 and 57]
IOS57 -> Enhanced USB Support, possibly ethernet support
IOS60 -> SDHC Support
IOS61 -> SDHC Support
IOS70 -> SDHC Support
IOS80 -> SDHC Support
yeah as I said i just copied the info from wiibrew wiki.
It seems for USB loading all you need as a base is 57 and either 37 or 56

haiggoh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I'd put it this way:

cIOS with base IOS36 -> not needed, as the TBR patches the Trucha Bug into the original IOS already
cIOS with base IOS37 -> formerly only availably with Hermes cIOS, needed for music games with USB instruments and Monster Hunter Tri
cIOS with base IOS38 -> formerly standard choice for IOS249, needed for older versions of the wad manager (1.5 and lower I think)
cIOS with base IOS53 -> not needed, no advantages
cIOS with base IOS55 -> not needed, no advantages
cIOS with base IOS56 -> can be used for music games with USB instruments and Monster Hunter Tri as a replacement for IOS37
cIOS with base IOS57 -> best new standard choice for slot 249 as it enables faster loading times for USB backup loading
cIOS with base IOS60 -> not needed, no advantages
cIOS with base IOS61 -> not needed, no advantages
cIOS with base IOS70 -> not needed, no advantages
cIOS with base IOS80 -> not needed, no advantages

For more information on base IOS56 look here: http://gbatemp.net/t243593-monster-hunter-...games?&st=0

Edit:
QUOTE('hetfield') said:
??? Super mario galaxy works fine with IOS249rev19[38 and 57]
QUOTE('bwillb' )yeah as I said i just copied the info from wiibrew wiki.
It seems for USB loading all you need as a base is 57 and either 37 or 56

The info from Wiibrew Wiki is correct, but confusing. When you put the disc of SGM2 into your wii, the systemmenu will start it with IOS56. So if you delete IOS56 you could theoretically not run SMG2 from the original disc again. But this info doesn't affect the cIOSes at all. If you choose IOS 57 or 38 as a base you can run all games except for those that need IOS37. So you also won't need IOS53 as a base in order to run WiiFit plus, even though it is used by the game if you play it from the original disc. Hope I could help to clear up the confusion a little bit...

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
haiggoh said:
cIOS with base IOS60 -> not needed, no advantages
cIOS with base IOS61 -> not needed, no advantages
cIOS with base IOS70 -> not needed, no advantages
cIOS with base IOS80 -> not needed, no advantages

I wouldnt say that until there is definitiv proof, that those Bases are useless. Anyone tried to play WiFi over those bases?

TheShadowRunner

I'm like you, I have no name.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there any serious comparaison out there testing the speed of the different bases?
I'm still extremely skeptical at IOS57 being faster (loading games faster) than good'ol IOS 38.
Any proof/numbers/test results highly welcome.
Thanks,

TSR

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
TheShadowRunner said:
Is there any serious comparaison out there testing the speed of the different bases?

Honestly I cannot confirm any differences in USB loading speed between different bases.
I still believe thats just a rumor.

TheShadowRunner

I'm like you, I have no name.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From my testing, there is absolutely NO difference whatsoever, that's why i'm curious as to why this is still being said everywhere.. and thanks for your answer WiiBricker.

moosehunter

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TheShadowRunner said:
From my testing, there is absolutely NO difference whatsoever, that's why i'm curious as to why this is still being said everywhere.. and thanks for your answer WiiBricker.
Because it is faster, loading SSBB took 20 seconds with 57 as base, and took 25-30 with others as base

I've also confirmed this with other games

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
moosehunter said:
TheShadowRunner said:
Because it is faster, loading SSBB took 20 seconds with 57 as base, and took 25-30 with others as base

I've also confirmed this with other games
Well I never played Dual Layer Games via USB, but I really never noticed any speed differences.
I think IOS57 might be a bit unstable because I had some issues with this Base. While playing Red Steel 2 for example the game freezed at a random point or my Wiimote lost the blue-tooth connection to the Wii so I was forced to restart the game and stick with IOS38 base.

Other games were not launched at all (CFG-Loader, IOS249[57])

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
On the speed thing, there is a definite noticeable difference in load times for the Subspace Emissary of Brawl. It is not a myth. I did some tests with rev20 here showing some of my results. It seems 56 is just as fast as 57, and both 37 and 38 are slower.

Thus, my conclusion is that we should start recommending 56 for the 249 slot and forget about the others. It's actually safer to keep 250 as rev19 or earlier as it then remains protected from the current Nintendo updates (the new 250 won't survive as it's version is now 20 rather than 65535).

Kryptical

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
FIX94 said:
I also never noticed a difference between IOS38 and IOS57. I tried out every game and every usb loader, but there was no loading speed difference. I'm currently using IOS56 base, because it looks like a newer and great alternative to IOS37.
@moosehunter:
I will test ssbb now
tongue.gif

READ THIS:
http://gbatemp.net/t243593-monster-hunter-...t&p=3019607
Judging from that post, seems like IOS56 is the best lol.

1 Question, in terms of gameplay smoothness / no lag on MH3, is IOS56 better or IOS37?

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Dr. Clipper said:
On the speed thing, there is a definite noticeable difference in load times for the Subspace Emissary of Brawl. It is not a myth. I did some tests with rev20 here showing some of my results. It seems 56 is just as fast as 57, and both 37 and 38 are slower.

Thus, my conclusion is that we should start recommending 56 for the 249 slot and forget about the others. It's actually safer to keep 250 as rev19 or earlier as it then remains protected from the current Nintendo updates (the new 250 won't survive as it's version is now 20 rather than 65535).
Thanks for your test results, very interesting.

It might be more interesting if other games than SSBB get tested too
unsure.gif

FIX94

Former Staff
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
WiiBricker said:
It might be more interesting if other games than SSBB get tested too
unsure.gif
It will make no huge difference, but IOS56 seems to be stable, MHT and music games are working, and it's a bit faster then the other bases.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I'm starting to sound like a Tck