Hacking cIOS USB2 Released!!!

wiiv1.5owners3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
come on you little dancer a HDD iso loader would be awesome it wouldnt make a differance to piracy if people are hod modded soft modded and rip thier games they still have to burn to disc if thier on thier HDD no need for extra discs........come on waninko and gator your the gods lets set the wii FREE from cooprative extortion you guys are the GODS

riddle43

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if hdd support was opened up could we get a port of xbmc runing on the wii? I feel it would be a nice fit for videos and such.
moogle.gif

roku93

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
@riddle43: Of course we could. It's quite easy actually. Just but the .xbe of xbmc to the /apps/XBMC folder, add meta.xml and icon.png and reaname the .xbe to boot.dol. It should work just fine, using the resources from the closest xbox1 wirelessly using the latest wifi algortithms.

I mean, port it yourself. And the HDD has nothing to do with porting XBMC, or any other program, for that matter.

@Rebound: Don't you think it's possible to make twilight hack load a boot.dol from HDD? Not saying that I think it will happen. I'm quite certain it wont. But it's not impossible.

And on the actual topic: Really I can't see any other use for this than piracy? Expect for wii linux, that would probably benefit from this. But I think that wii linux will be remade for use without IOS when bootmii comes out. Then even that wouldn't benefit from this. So, ISO loader, here we come? I would probably install it and try it, but warez isn't just my thing anymore. The game makers have to have something to eat, too. As do the music and movie industries.

Q-Bert

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
roku93 said:
@riddle43: Of course we could. It's quite easy actually. Just but the .xbe of xbmc to the /apps/XBMC folder, add meta.xml and icon.png and reaname the .xbe to boot.dol. It should work just fine, using the resources from the closest xbox1 wirelessly using the latest wifi algortithms.

I dont really think it would be that easy to get XBMC on the Wii, ya cant just rename files and expect things to run if it were that easy then it would have been done by now. I think it would need a rewrite to get it to work + the fact that the Wii has less power than the Xbox so if it did get a straight port it would be slow so things would need to be removed to get a good performance from it.

I love the idea of an ISO loaderj ust so i can get to back up all my original Wii games to a HDD like i did with my xbox 1 when i put a 200 GIG drive it in

AgentX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Q-Bert said:
roku93 said:

I dont really think it would be that easy to get XBMC on the Wii, ya cant just rename files and expect things to run if it were that easy then it would have been done by now. I think it would need a rewrite to get it to work + the fact that the Wii has less power than the Xbox so if it did get a straight port it would be slow so things would need to be removed to get a good performance from it.
What are you talking about? It works for me. Maybe your Xbox isn't close enough to your Wii?

ringorinfret

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
eric_4_life said:
^If flatmii can do it, then it can be done

Flatmii uses a chip to simulate the DVD and uses a Windows application to feed the ISO information to the wii... really quite different. I am not sure how IOS are done but I wonder if you can add functionnalities like ISO "decrypting"

freezeburn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thatcoolguy said:
this is damn awesome not only for convenience but i could be less worried about the DVD drive failing if an ISO loader were to be made. seems for the price of a new drive is a good amount towards an external HDD.

quick question does installing the new cIOS have any potential of mucking up other cIOSes on the system? any conflict between them possible?
I would also like to know the answer to this question.

ppc_gba

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
why is this not possible, all we need is a usb male to male connector to connect the wii to the pc.
http://www.amazon.com/6Ft-USB-2-0-Male-cable/dp/B000AYHXVU

We might be able to use the Flatmii application itself for streaming isos from the pc. Then all we need is a new cios with the usb 2.0 driver and a new dip module that converts dvd read commands to flatmii commands and sends them over the usb connection to the pc, and reads back the data it gets from the usb connection (easier said than done I'm guessing). Then you could just use the existing backup launcher gamma reloaded to the new ios to launch the game (or maybe even use the wii menu eventually).

Maybe then we can finally play games that need fast read speeds like need for speed undercover (but it might still be a sucky game tho lol...).

The first thing that could be done, if this is possible, is to figure out the flatmii commands by reverse engineering, which shouldn't be too hard since it is written with .NET framework. The drivers they provide say Cypress Generic USB drivers, so they might be easily tweaked to work with some changes to the inf file.

ringorinfret

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ppc_gba said:
why is this not possible, all we need is a usb male to male connector to connect the wii to the pc.
http://www.amazon.com/6Ft-USB-2-0-Male-cable/dp/B000AYHXVU

We might be able to use the Flatmii application itself for streaming isos from the pc. Then all we need is a new cios with the usb 2.0 driver and a new dip module that converts dvd read commands to flatmii commands and sends them over the usb connection to the pc, and reads back the data it gets from the usb connection (easier said than done I'm guessing). Then you could just use the existing backup launcher gamma reloaded to the new ios to launch the game (or maybe even use the wii menu eventually).

Maybe then we can finally play games that need fast read speeds like need for speed undercover (but it might still be a sucky game tho lol...).

The first thing that could be done, if this is possible, is to figure out the flatmii commands by reverse engineering, which shouldn't be too hard since it is written with .NET framework. The drivers they provide say Cypress Generic USB drivers, so they might be easily tweaked to work with some changes to the inf file.

but you forget that the flatmii device is connected straight through the DVD connection... Your solution is quite different as it will stream the ISO from the PC to the WII usb port but then the Wii needs to be tweak so that it acts as if reading from DVD...

anyway I think we still have to wait a long time before we can see an external ISO loader with only softmod

FRanatic

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
ringorinfret said:
eric_4_life said:
^If flatmii can do it, then it can be done

Flatmii uses a chip to simulate the DVD and uses a Windows application to feed the ISO information to the wii... really quite different. I am not sure how IOS are done but I wonder if you can add functionnalities like ISO "decrypting"

The fact that FlatMii uses a windows app to control the HDD is implemented because if they embedded that function in the chip, the costs for it would rise skyhigh. Result would be a retail price, which could price the product right out of the market.

My educated guess is:

Write a homebrew wich uses a lib for the HDD support, that can run under ios.
If it's able to read the iso it can emulate a drive (like FlatMii). Once the iso is mounted, the exsisting dip module can decrypt and run the game.

h_2_o

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
instead of going the ISO route, what would be the problem of extracting the games and launching them from their respective folders much in the way that the original xbox mods were done?

mousex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
h_2_o said:
instead of going the ISO route, what would be the problem of extracting the games and launching them from their respective folders much in the way that the original xbox mods were done?
The games would still need a patch. Did you try extracting a game to your SC card and launching it with the HBC? It doesn't work because the game wants to read from DVD and not SD/HDD. Xbox games are different.
QUOTE(Q-Bert @ Mar 10 2009, 09:55 PM) the fact that the Wii has less power than the Xbox so if it did get a straight port it would be slow so things would need to be removed to get a good performance from it.
XBOX:
733MHz CPU
64MB RAM
Gefroce 3/4 GPU
Wii:
729MHz CPU
88MB RAM
(Source: Wikipedia)

rodries

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
nicksasa said:
pff im on windows and i cant compile mplayer ce because i need to insta libdvdnav an libdvdreab but thats for linux :/
You are wrong, me and AgentX are using Windows for mplayerce development.
I'm testing USB2.0 cios but doesn't work fine.
I've done several test to add support for mplayerce, but is not working fine.
If you plug an usb stick when load cios then wiimote is not synced.
And if you load cios with usb device unplugged then wiimote works, but you can't mount usb device.
I've test usb speed with this cios, speed is awesome
normal ios speed: 720kb/s
usb2.0 cios speed: 27000kb/s
Using read ahead cahe on both test.
At this moment this cios is not usable. I've done the test in 2 wii's to be sure is not my problem.

mousex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
rodries said:
At this moment this cios is not usable. I've done the test in 2 wii's to be sure is not my problem.
Maybe it's mplayer ce's code wich doesn't work with the cIOS and not the cIOS wich doesn't work with mplayer ce?
The USB 2.0 cIOS works fine in other apps (e.g. mplayerWii) but mplayer ce had and has so much bugs, I never had a look at the code but maybe some of your work arounds are just not good for USB 2.0 cIOS.

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
he said it was buggy, not that it didn't work

QUOTE said:
And if you load cios with usb device unplugged then wiimote works, but you can't mount usb device.

Most probably, the CIOS introduced some bug with the internal USB part

By the way, PPC code can NOT be "incompatible" with an IOS, it has even no idea of what an IOS is
communication between code and IOS is handled by libogc, which is common to (quite) all homebrew code
SO, when you try to read a file from USB or when you try to read Wiimote position, you always call the same function but what this function do on Starlet side is purely dependent of the IOS implementation

edit: my bad, WiiCrazy is probably right

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
rodries said:
nicksasa said:
pff im on windows and i cant compile mplayer ce because i need to insta libdvdnav an libdvdreab but thats for linux :/
You are wrong, me and AgentX are using Windows for mplayerce development.
I'm testing USB2.0 cios but doesn't work fine.
I've done several test to add support for mplayerce, but is not working fine.
I've test usb speed with this cios, speed is awesome
normal ios speed: 720kb/s
usb2.0 cios speed: 27000kb/s
Using read ahead cahe on both test.

You should do the ios reload before WPAD initting.. If you reload ios after initting wiimotes they lose sync... Could this be the case it fails?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto