Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Blue-K said:
Szalkow said:
da_letter_a said:
2. Some generic BCA data included, and implemented in the cIOS (preferably in the DIP), so that 1:1 copies of BCA-protected games will work (example NSMBW)
Right now, it might be possible, but if Nintendo is clever, soon all newer games will have it, and then it's realy the dumbest/annoying/time-taking thing you can do. Just let the Users patch their disc if they still want to still use discs/free Backups. That's the risk they took, and hey, it's still free, so they shouldn't moan.
5. source code available for all components of the cIOS. If WiiGator is the original creator of the custom DIP module, where is he? (I want to speak to him). That way we could talk to him about permissions and release of the DIP plugin source.
Good luck on that. He's even more quiet than c4eva (Xbox360 Users probably get it). He was last seen here on the 30th August 2009...
5. I think he's afraid to reveal how much of his code is cobbled together from other sources (...).
In my Opinion (and also Marcans one, which probably counts more) he's a great coder which understands how this works. So I can't imagine that he (unlike someone other) put it together from other sources.
7. Fix SD support.
If you mean proper SD-Handling, for example for DLC, then I'm with you. Looks like SNEEKv2 won't show up, and I badly need some space
tongue.gif
-Blue-K

But like so many other things, Marcan only did it to be a whiny little bitch about it. Can't say that counts the same
biggrin.gif

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
techboy said:
For those who detest metal music, a mute setting could be added.
im pretty sure every tv made since the '70s has a mute button. people that are stupid enough to be concerned about what music is playing while the installer is running can mute their tv and put on a brittany spears cd if they really give a shit.

antiaverage

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ever since the v4 release of Hermes' cIOS222/223, I've seen Waninkoko's cIOS249 as obsolete. It's only necessary for older utilities which are hard-coded to use cIOS249, and even then that's mostly a technicality. Hermes released his source, you all can jump on it and make it whatever you want it to be. Or, encourage Hermes to keep up his good work and support a guy who still believes in the Wii hacking scene. Waninkoko dumped his Wii blog and only supports the Wii in private. That seems a bit silly to me. I'll be happy when we move on from cIOS249.

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
Trophies
XP
Country
Waninkokos cIOS is far from obsolete when using Triiforce.

I myself for cIOS use...

hermes V4
installed 38/37 @ 222 - for backups
installed 38/60 @ 202 - for USB2 homebrew apps

hermes v3
installed 37/36 @ 223 - for instruments

Waninkoko rev 14
For Triiforce

Some cIOS corp wads installed too for IOS reloading games.

antiaverage

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Slimmmmmm said:
Waninkokos cIOS is far from obsolete when using Triiforce.

I'd rather Triiforce be able to use cIOS222. Triiforce is not ready for general public consumption, and I have no need for it considering launching from SD(HC) is natively supported by the Wii (but not as cool as the NAND emulation Triiforce offers). So my NAND space issues are covered for now. Thus, no need for cIOS249 either.

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
Trophies
XP
Country
I would love to see Hermes add redirection for nand reads/writes to another devise, but afaik he has no plans to ever do this....shame.

hmmm...

antiaverage

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Slimmmmmm said:
I would love to see Hermes add redirection for nand reads/writes to another devise, but afaik he has no plans to ever do this....shame.

hmmm...

I'm not sure about his plans, but the source is there for us to cram some NAND features in if we wish.

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
IMO, Triiforce is a waste of time for casual players. I'll agree, it is cool, but like antiaverage said, its simply not ready.

I also use the native SD Menu feature, although rarely. The few VCs I have are genesis (Sonic 2, Sonic 3&K, and Vectorman). I only keep Nintendo Channel, MKWii Channel, and one or two old WW games I never play.

Back on topic, Multi-dol support would be a nice improvement. I hate having explain to people how to use Alt. Dols.

antiaverage

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
techboy said:
Back on topic, Multi-dol support would be a nice improvement. I hate having explain to people how to use Alt. Dols.

I agree with that thought.

It would be lovely if we could truly backup Metroid Prime Trilogy to our USB drives and play it as if we had slipped the actual disc into the slot. At the moment, the lack of control over save slot, difficulty level, and video mode is a pain.

It's not a simple task, however...

superbob

Trophies
XP
Country
France
antiaverage said:
Ever since the v4 release of Hermes' cIOS222/223, I've seen Waninkoko's cIOS249 as obsolete. It's only necessary for older utilities which are hard-coded to use cIOS249, and even then that's mostly a technicality. Hermes released his source, you all can jump on it and make it whatever you want it to be. Or, encourage Hermes to keep up his good work and support a guy who still believes in the Wii hacking scene. Waninkoko dumped his Wii blog and only supports the Wii in private. That seems a bit silly to me. I'll be happy when we move on from cIOS249.
Exactly what I'm thinking...
Having NAND emulation stuff added to cIOS222 would make cIOS249 obsolete.
However, I'm only seeing this functionally speaking, I'm curious what are the differences between hermes and waninkoko cioses technically speaking. I've heard about "mload", "external modules", but as I never looked into the code (loader code), it doesn't really mean anything to me.
Is it handier to use Waninkoko or Hermes cIOS in a loader ?
Does one of them seems technically "better" than the other (regardless functional aspects) ?
(These are open questions to the coders ... I'm just curious ...)

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
superbob said:
However, I'm only seeing this functionally speaking, I'm curious what are the differences between hermes and waninkoko cioses technically speaking. I've heard about "mload", "external modules", but as I never looked into the code (loader code), it doesn't really mean anything to me.
Does one of them seems technically "better" than the other (regardless functional aspects) ?
Wanky's cIOS is a regular IOS, with a bunch of patches and several extra modules added to it. Some of these have source code, some don't, some make me go "wtf is that doing there" when looking at it in IDA.
Hermes' cIOS is a regular IOS with a couple of minor patches and one extra module. Normally, it acts just like a regular IOS. But the extra module (called "mload") allows extra code/modules to be added to the IOS (or existing code changed, like the DIP module) after the IOS is loaded. This is how different loaders can support different filesystems and such, without needing a new cios to be installed. The source code for the initial patches and the mload module is available.

thesund0g

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
tueidj said:
superbob said:
Wanky's cIOS is a regular IOS, with a bunch of patches and several extra modules added to it. Some of these have source code, some don't, some make me go "wtf is that doing there" when looking at it in IDA.
Hermes' cIOS is a regular IOS with a couple of minor patches and one extra module. Normally, it acts just like a regular IOS. But the extra module (called "mload") allows extra code/modules to be added to the IOS (or existing code changed, like the DIP module) after the IOS is loaded. This is how different loaders can support different filesystems and such, without needing a new cios to be installed. The source code for the initial patches and the mload module is available.

Thanks for clearing that up. Where can I learn more?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Glad he is OK and complaining is cool :)