• Start date
  • Views 28,284
  • Replies 97

ClockWorK

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
HDD manufacturers don't include a defrag tool because defragmenting depends on the file system.

A format has nothing to do with defragmenting. You're erasing everything. Of course a new install of the OS runs better. Hell, a quick-format doesn't even delete the data. Same with just deleting a file It just marks the pointers to the data as 'available' instead of 'in use'. As soon as the drive is formated, the data can be written conecutively. There is no need to write zeros to every bit of every byte on the drive.

Lastly, never in my experience (9+ certified tech, 12+ programmer) has a drive required a low-level format. Maybe a full format instead of quick. I think if I ever encountered one that would not work without some lowlevel format, I'd replace it. And I've built and repaired a ton of PCs.

There is no similarity between formatting and defragging.

But really, this is a huge waste of time. I can't even believe I bothered to reply.

manias

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
lol
tongue.gif
sigh
Format scenario:
file 1 and file 2 have a gap in between, filled with file 3, which is also partly after file 2.
You copy file 1 2 3 elsewhere, format your drive and/or delete everything.
you place back file 1, file 2 and file 3.
File 3 now is no longer fragmented.

Defrag scenario:
file 1 and file 2 have a gap in between, filled with file 3, which is also partly after file 2.
You defrag your drive.
File 2 and file 3 are moved so that file 1, file 2 and file 3 are all after eachother, without a gap.
File 3 is now no longer fragmented.

Happy now? If you have a 500gb drive full of fragmented crap it could be (but probably not, unless you have windows on that drive.. bitch to defrag fast) faster to copy all files elsewhere, then format the drive and/or delete everything, then place everything back. Achieving the same thing as a defrag, but not defragmenting actually.

SO IN CONCLUSION! After all these replies: My point was that this format stuff Ive been talking about could achieve the same thing as defragging but with a detour if you will.
I therefore did not mean to imply that the process of formatting is similar to defragging, that is ridiculous. I meant that the aim of defragging can be achieved in many ways, using defrag tools or just by formatting your drive this way.
Please continue the wii talk.

djtaz

PM's Full - Wadder Me
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
So what your saying is that formatting is the long way around to deragmenting ?

I could also suggest getting a new harddrive , redownloading all the games again and put them on a brand new drive ... technically it will have the same conclusion , but its a stupid way to go since there are faster solutions without trying to complicate the matter.

Defrag if you need to , but generally with wii ISO's your not going to need to unless something is corrupt or if your taking games on and off a lot.

Formatting is a waste of time and if you really want to do a so called 'refresh' of a drive just get a copy of Hirens Boot CD and run it though the HD Regenerator app on that.

DEagleson

Gamer Extraordinaire
Trophies
Website
raptr.com
XP
Country
Norway
Newer had any problems on my Wii with cIOS rev10, had more trouble getting USB Loader GX to work, but updating to newest compiled version have always fixed it.
But still hope that rev13 adds more stuff for us Wii owners to play with.
smile.gif

manias

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
djtaz said:
So what your saying is that formatting is the long way around to deragmenting ?

I could also suggest getting a new harddrive , redownloading all the games again and put them on a brand new drive ... technically it will have the same conclusion , but its a stupid way to go since there are faster solutions without trying to complicate the matter.

Defrag if you need to , but generally with wii ISO's your not going to need to unless something is corrupt or if your taking games on and off a lot.

Formatting is a waste of time and if you really want to do a so called 'refresh' of a drive just get a copy of Hirens Boot CD and run it though the HD Regenerator app on that.
it is a waste of time, it is the longer route, but it does do the same thing, theoretically. that's what i mean.
Esp for wbfs it has no meaning, fragmentation doesn't cause the wii to become slower or whatnot
wink.gif
But these guys were not talkin about the wii or isos anymore, just harddrives in general hence the drifting from useful topics!

ClockWorK

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Heck if I know. I was looking for documentation on which version of cIOS first had USB2 support, and then it went unavailable. Since I'm sure some people are eagerly await rev13, I figured I'd mention it.

kkthxbye

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
bnm81002 said:
still no rev13 yet huh?

Rev13 release: Tomorrow | E3 2009: 2-4 June (Microsoft Conference: 10.25am PDT) | THIS IS AN ENGLISH SPEAKING CHANNEL, USE IT!
Topic set by waninkoko on Mon Jun 01 2009 22:51:58 GMT+0200 (Romance Daylight Time)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Could just be Sony bs locking partitions and all like lol shouldn't of removed it