CIAngel or Freeshop?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Chiqx, Sep 5, 2016.

1. Chiqx
    OP

Chiqx Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 29, 2016
    Gambia, The
    Question above. :) Whats better in your opinion?

2. TheVinAnator

TheVinAnator GBATemp's Greatest Vin

Jan 10, 2016
    Canada
    NO COFFEI!
    In mine and almost everyone else's opinion, freeshop! It has a gui, ciangel is all text. It has music (correct me if I'm wrong) but ciangel doesn't. It can auto update itself on boot without clicking more things. It can also auto update title keys, if you set a certain setting. It is able to be more customised. It is able to save battery. It is able to shut down after downloads. etc, etc.

3. zoogie

zoogie simple pimp tool

Nov 30, 2014
    United States
    I know I'm in the minority, but I prefere CIAngel because it's faster and more reliable.

XAIXER, Quantumcat, cvskid and 2 others like this.
  4. Traiver

Traiver GBAtemp Maniac

Aug 1, 2014
    Germany
    Pew! *Out of the bag*
    I prefer CIAngel, too. The enctitlekeys from dat site aren't up-to-date, so I rarely use freeShop.

5. Barawer

Barawer GBAtemp Regular

Jan 3, 2016
    Iceland
    I just have both, i use whichever.. i also like Ciangel since i can get DLC for cart games.

6. ihaveamac

ihaveamac GBAtemp Guru

Apr 20, 2015
    United States
    Tigard, OR
    CIAngel uses the same site for titlekeys that you would usually set up freeShop with. you probably mean the cache.

7. Traiver

Traiver GBAtemp Maniac

Aug 1, 2014
    Germany
    Pew! *Out of the bag*
    Yes, but you can't just download DLC's or updates though.

XRaidersP likes this.
  8. ihaveamac

ihaveamac GBAtemp Guru

Apr 20, 2015
    United States
    Tigard, OR
    you can for installed games, not cart though (and streetpass mii plaza I think).

9. zoogie

zoogie simple pimp tool

Nov 30, 2014
    United States
    CIAangel uses just <site name>/json_enc for it's encrypted key data while Freeshop uses its encTitlekeys.bin plus some unknown other mandatory metadata from that site. This means that even when I manually update freeshop's enctitlekeys.bin with decrypt9, newer titles can't work with it. By contrast, when I update CIAngel's json file I can download the latest games. I also like the fact you can make cias with angel.

10. ihaveamac

ihaveamac GBAtemp Guru

Apr 20, 2015
    United States
    Tigard, OR
    freeShop uses a cache of eShop titles (https://github.com/Repo3DS/shop-cache), so very new releases (e.g. Picross 3D Round 2) don't appear in it yet since the cache doesn't have it, while they do appear in CIAngel immediately since the name is in the json from the site.

astronautlevel likes this.
  11. TVL

TVL #|

Feb 17, 2004
    World -1
    When that happens I just QR-code-install it with FBI. Still never used CIAngel... Thanks for the tip, didn't know it was out, almost done downloading now though. =)

12. Chiqx
    OP

Chiqx Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 29, 2016
    Gambia, The
    So it is CIAngel then. Thanks guys. :)

TheVinAnator likes this.
  13. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    I have both. Ciangel. may not appeal to many, but is simple and does a job well. Besides it can download CIA files, so if you need to extract and want to mod (Lets say rom injection for VC or something hacks) You can.

Freeshop is a replacement of eshop. Is kinda expected if you replaces something it got to least look the part if not better and it does. Custom music, constant updates of the app, description and pictures of the games you looking for, hoping videos and trailers get added soon. It is something to compare with eshop. IS FREESHOP.

I use both for each specific purpose. But either is okay to be honest. :)

Aristox-0 likes this.
  14. astronautlevel

astronautlevel The Young Descendent of Tepes

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    That Nightly Site™
    tbh, Nintendo should hire @TheCruel to help with the UI for the NX store, since Freeshop's UI is so much better than the eShop's :P

15. cvskid

cvskid GBAtemp Addict

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    I like the create a .cia feature that ciangel has so its nice to get dlc and game updates separate from the games themselves. Also useful for full games as well to make backup copies of so you won't always need an internet connection. Both are really good for different reasons but ciangel for me if i had no choice but to choose. Just keep both installed.

Sonic Angel Knight likes this.
  16. suzsuzuki

suzsuzuki GBAtemp Regular

Aug 25, 2016
    Brazil
    If I download an DLC with CIAngel or Freeshop and enter on eshop, my DLC will be erased?

Omer likes this.
  17. Omer

Omer GBAtemp Regular

May 13, 2014
    good question , I want to know that too !

18. suzsuzuki

suzsuzuki GBAtemp Regular

Aug 25, 2016
    Brazil
    I think can be deleted for some games... In Phoenix Right Dual Destinies there's no delete, but smash bros could be...

19. Barawer

Barawer GBAtemp Regular

Jan 3, 2016
    Iceland
    If I'm not mistaken it only gets deleted when you go into the in game DLC shop, not the eshop itself

20. astronautlevel

astronautlevel The Young Descendent of Tepes

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    That Nightly Site™
    I've done a lot of research into when DLC is deleted and when it isn't, and the closest thing I reached to a conclusion was that as long as you never enter the game's DLC shop, it won't delete your DLC. However, once you visit the game's DLC shop once, it'll delete your DLC whenver you go into the game's DLC shop or the eShop both.

Aristox-0 likes this.