Homebrew CIA roms installation on 3DS/2DS : what is under the hood?

sfs76

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi,

I'm a newbie in the 3DS hacking/homebrew. Following a good tutorial, I've been able to install FBI and install CIA roms on my console without any problem.
But I'd like to understand a little bit how this works, and probably because I didn't choose the right keywords, I didn't find all the answers to my questions.

First, could you please confirm that everything is installed on the SD card? nothing on the internal nand? As far as I understood the roms installed from the /cias directory (if I follow the recommandations of the guide) on the SD card to the 'Nintendo 3DS' directory. Are the savegames also put in this directory which seems to be the only one created by the console? I have some experience with Wii and WiiU hacking, and with these consoles, some files are or can be on the internal NAND (especially save games), that's why I ask this question. In particular to know if I have to check in the future that the internal NAND is not full.

Second, I read that copying a SD card to another one (a bigger one for example) is possible, the new card will directly work (if FAT32 formatted). Question 2: would it work on anther 3DS/2DS?
Asked another way: is the install process like the brazilian method on the WiiU (except that the target drive is the SD card instead of internal NAND or USB drive)? I mean is the file "encrypted" during the process and linked to a specific console?

Last question: using the 3dsx format doesn't require installation if I understood correctly. So is it somehow similar to the WBFS format on the Wii, ie not linked to a specific console? Can be copied from console 1 to console 2 without any modification/installation and it will work? Is the only drawback not to have an icon on the home screen? or is there other limitations with this format?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Wow. What a bunch of topics in the fairly limited ASK! section.

Okay:
* CIA files get installed to SD. Saves are also on SD. Only a ticket is installed to NAND. A 3DS will not acknowledge the presence of software in Home Menu without a ticket (but will show the title greyed out with a X in Data Management. NAND will not get full.
* Copy+Paste from one SD to another is generally not a problem. Note that switching back and forth between two cards can make Anti-Savegame restore delete a game save on titles using this anti-feature (example: Pokemon)
* Everything in the folder SD:/Nintendo 3DS/<ID0>/<ID1> is encrypted with console-unique KeyY (part of the file movable.sed). Theoretically you could make an installation work on another console by overwriting movable.sed. In practice: DON'T! It is asking for trouble, especially when going online (unauthorized System Transfer).
* 3dsx files are used with the Homebrew Launcher, unencrypted and can be placed anywhere on SD. Normally they go into SD:/3ds Such an unencrypted file can be used across all 2|3DS with access to HB Launcher without installation. I know of no limitation. It can be useful to not overload Home Menu which has an overall 300 title limit per "Nintendo 3DS" folder. Workaround: 3DSBank

Good luck and have fun!

sfs76

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hehe, sorry, lot of questions indeed. I should maybe have post on a normal thread, you're right.
Thanks a lot for your precise answers! I will dig a little bit on some keywords you gave me, I like to understand how things work.
Cheers

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.