Chishm hints at keeping DS ROM Dumping Method Secr

cory1492

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
He never said he coded a ROM dumper.
Actually, he did say just that, with no room for interpretations... only you cut your quote short of the "writing a (private, never-to-be-released) ROM dumper was step 1 in writing Nitro Hax". Since this thing works after reinsert, one of the first steps it has to take is walking the DS card through it's startup routine to get the header/binaries/secure area in memory before it can be manipulated. Would be interesting to know if it works with that game WRG had problems with.

Any rate, after GBA_NDS_FAT, then DLDI and libFAT, and all the fun around GBAMP NDS hacks and more recently SC hacks.. I expect nothing less of Chishm. An awesome bit of code that does what most couldn't figure out how to do, with some interesting "magic" under the hood (and a bunch of complaints that those with little skill have no way to twist the "magic" to dark uses). Great stuff as always.

thegame07

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
this thread is making everyone turn against each other
blink.gif
everyone start being nice.

Killermech

Cookie Monster
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I didn't know chishm tended to be such a 'show off', which slightly decreases my respect for him. If you make something and don't tend to share it, then keep it to yourself.

Dragonlord

Linux-Dragon of quick wit and sharp tongue
Trophies
Website
www.indiedb.com
XP
Country
Swaziland
Any rate, after GBA_NDS_FAT, then DLDI and libFAT, and all the fun around GBAMP NDS hacks and more recently SC hacks.. I expect nothing less of Chishm. An awesome bit of code that does what most couldn't figure out how to do, with some interesting "magic" under the hood (and a bunch of complaints that those with little skill have no way to twist the "magic" to dark uses). Great stuff as always.
Which is somehow eye-wash. If you don't want something to be misused for bad purpose then either don't shout it out in public and give it to the right people or simply keep it for yourself. I also made once an app with which you could manipulate a game which never was meant to be manipulated. To avoid people doing crap with it I simply stripped the "modify" code and left only the "view it" code in ( so if somebody really wants to modify it he has to wrap his head around the file encoding himself ). Maybe he had a good intention there but the move was obviously with a very bad timing and mood to it.

paxl13

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
After reading this threat, I have a couple of comment to do !

This kind of thread is the EXACT reason I'll never code for the DS, I prefer put my time on somehting that If I release something, I won't get 200 comments from some 15 years old brats that dont even know WHAT is coding. After this, As Chism don't support Piracy, it's ok. IF you look at the fact taht the dumper used in the release group or whatever they call them. Those tool are tool almost from the GBA time. Its fucking ridiculous.

Anyways, Those kind of commentary would have taken me out of this scene and.. Ok there are some adult in there but... the problem is that there is more comments beeng unrespectful to the job he as done for yourself.

Finaly, I know I may be a bit redundant, but if you ever want you so cool game to be translated and maintained by the compagny you love, you should buy it...

And, BTW, learn ASM and then Do a dumper if you want, nothign hold anyone back !

Sorry for my english, I'm a french native speaker.

Thanks Chism for what you have done for the community.

paxl13

Bowser128

King Koopa
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I didn't know chishm tended to be such a 'show off', which slightly decreases my respect for him. If you make something and don't tend to share it, then keep it to yourself.

Would it be that difficult for you to read the source? He was releasing his homebrew Action Replay, and someone replied saying that they'd really like an open source one (hinting that they wanted his source). He then replied that if he did that, he'd essentially be releasing the source for a ROM-dumper, which he doesn't want to do. I personally would love him to release the dumper, but that's against his stance on piracy, and I can respect that.

To clarify, he didn't say "I made a 1337 ROM dumper and you're not having it lolol".

darksavior

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
paxl13, every scene has it's share of brats/lamers. If everyone thought like you there'd be nothing. The best everyone does is not give a shit and ignore them. why should txt hurt your feelings? just do what you want and feel proud of what you've done. If you're that sensitive to negative comments don't goto forums/blogs or reveal your email when releasing your work.

Shtroodle

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Although I'm no coder myself, I think that chishm is one of the most talented ones on the DS scene. I can't believe the attitude of some people here - and only because he lets his ego burst for a split second. You know what they say about casting pearls to swines (at least in this country)...

darksavior

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yea i appreciate his work. as for his decision not to release that dumper?who cares. Last time i checked there wasn't a slowdown in rom releases.

wohoo

Trophies
XP
Country
Who cares if we he releases it or not? i will still be able to go and get my roms anyway, so why complain?
smile.gif

By the way, if he's against piracy, it's HIS loss. If he doesn't want to get games for free, it's not my loss
wink.gif

Knab

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
alot of you complain about him not releasing the source to make a dumper, but in all honesty why would you need a dumper? you download your games like everyone else to avoid paying for the games, what would be the point of having the dumper so you can go down to gamestop buy a game and dump it and return the game? and say look i dumped my game?

most of the time the groups release the more anticipated games asap.

most people will not need the dumper, and some just want it for bragging rights to show there friends how much of a hacker they are when its some one elses work.

its his creation he can do what he wants with it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV8dBxGdNxk