ChickHen R2 problems

Discussion in 'PSP - Games & Content' started by Pavichokche, Jun 28, 2010.

Jun 28, 2010

ChickHen R2 problems by Pavichokche at 9:46 PM (2,282 Views / 0 Likes) 22 replies

1. Pavichokche
    OP

Newcomer Pavichokche Advanced Member

Canada
    So I finally got a good PSP 3000 and updated the firmware to 5.03, installed ChickHen R2 and 5.03 GEN-C, reset the settings, turned off the auto umd play and umd cache, ran chickhen appropriately and it worked FINE. I also ran the custom firmware and everything was perfect. Until I decided to try it again and turned off the PSP. Now ChickHen won't run, the images in the folder just load all the way down to the slim.tiff file and as soon as it loads the PSP freezes. Any clues what went wrong? If you want i can tell you what i did before, perhaps you can pinpoint what I did wrong...

-Thanks in advance

2. Goli

Member Goli RPG

Chile
    Wait... you turned off your PSP COMPLETELY and on purpose to reinstall CFW again?

3. Pavichokche
    OP

Canada
    Yeah, I'll have to do it every once in a while anyway. And actually, I believe I did it through the CFW menu option to reset system. Anyway, what does that have to do with ChickHen not starting up the way it should?

4. Goli

Member Goli RPG

Chile
    Nothing.
    Or something.
    I don't know, I don't have a 3000.
    Just curious I guess... I don't get why you would have to do it every once in a while considering everything stays perfectly fine on standby mode.

5. Pavichokche
    OP

Canada
    I've heard that it's good to turn the PSP off every once in a while to clear the memory. It's the same as a PC, if you keep putting it to sleep/hibernate it all the time, it can slow down a little, that's why it is good to reboot it every once in a while.

Anyway, does anyone know what could be going wrong? The HEN turned on perfectly fine the first time, yet now it isn't...

6. Jolan

Member Jolan Unlimited Bear Works

Bulgaria
    It's the HEN's fault. It hates PSPs and is doing it on purpose.

7. xist

Member xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

United Kingdom
    The HEN is RANDOM. It relies on a chance occurrence of code being executed...it's not unusual for it to take multiple freezes and retries to get it working.

And yes i agree with you that it's good to shutdown the console completely on a regular basis to clear out the volatile memory.

8. Pavichokche
    OP

Canada
    Okay, I understand that, but why did it work perfectly THE FIRST TIME and now it hasn't worked for over 10 times? It's impossible that it's just a coincidence...

9. sword414

Member sword414 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    I find that it works 100% if you put the UMD in and run ChickHen while the UMD is loading (not loaded)

10. xist

Member xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

United Kingdom
    It's random. When Davee first released it i was about to CFW a friends phat PSP. I tried about 30 times before giving up. ChickHEN hates everyone. Just hate it back and you'll get along fine.

11. Pavichokche
    OP

Canada
    Yeah, I understand all that. Thanks for the suggestion, sword414, I'll try it out sometime.

But for now my problem is solved, I found a way to ensure workability (within 5 tries) on youtube. Basically you use another card (with its own copy of ChickHen) to load it, for some strange reason it works. Anyway, thanks for all the suggestions guys [​IMG]

12. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    For me it worked the first time, but for a friend it took over 50.

It's like, if you flip a coin and it comes up tails 5,000 times, what's the chance that it'll come up tails if you flip it again?

Still 50%.

13. AC/DS

Member AC/DS GBAtemp Regular

Slovakia
    There is a much easier solution to make CHickHEN run the first time IMHO. Just reset you PSP to the default settings (it's in the System Options), it will then restart and after that your CHickHEN R2 should run.
    It's my experience anyway.
    A little bit off-topic:
    Just today I was playing with PSNLover (I have a PSN account you know) and it would not work so I thought I might restart the PSP to make it work. Of course, after restart the ChickHEN would not run so I set system settings to default.
    I am not sure about PSN Lover though, it seems to run but my PSN account still reminds me that I MUST update my PSP software (like, never!) to be able to use PSN Store.
    I just wanted to download a PS1 game I paid for previously (when I had a PSP with OFW 6.20), but it only allows me to download it to the PC and not to the PSP.
    Anyone know why this is or have experience with PSN Lover on a PSP 3000 with 5.03 GEN-C?

14. Pavichokche
    OP

Canada
    It ALWAYS works the first time when you are doing it FOR THE FIRST TIME, just like people do on youtube and so on. Every time after that it is a different story. I refuse to believe that it is completely random, I'm sure that there is some sequence of actions you can do to produce the necessary code to run AS the tiff image loads. With technology, things are almost never random.

15. Rydian

United States
    Neither are true with an IRL unhacked PSP.

A TAS does not represent possible human play on a real device.
    EDIT: Added "human" in there to clarify, as I am a fan of TASs.

16. Pavichokche
    OP

Canada
    Okay.... 0.0
    So you are saying that the ChickHEN booting really IS at random? In that case how come the first boot is always successful from the first time?

17. Jolan

Member Jolan Unlimited Bear Works

Bulgaria
    Too bad it's not. I can assure you it's not always successful on the first time.

18. Rydian

United States
    When I said "first boot" in my example, I'm referring to the very first time the PSP system is ever powered on.

And as I said, when hacking a friend's fat it took over 50 tries before it worked. [​IMG]

19. Maz7006

Member Maz7006 iSEXu

Lebanon
    ChickHEN can be a bitch, sometimes it will work right out of the bat, sometimes it just rufuses to do so

i've used R2 many many times to flash countless PSP's to CFW, just takes time and patience.

20. unduthegun

Newcomer unduthegun Advanced Member

Spain
    I'm using a trick which has failed on me about once every 20 tries, try and see if it helps:

1. put the .tiff in a folder inside thepicture folder, along with 7 other images
    2. make sure the files are named so the -tiff image is the last when ordered alphabetically
    3. open the folder containing the images and wait until the psp stops reading the MS card
    4. Scroll all the way down to the .tiff image with the exploit