Charles Martinet is stepping back from voicing Mario and is assuming the new role of 'Mario Ambassador'

charles martinet.jpg

The iconic and long time voice actor of numerous characters in the Super Mario franchise, Charles Martinet is stepping back from recording character voices in Nintendo games. The news was shared by Nintendo's official Twitter account today where the company also announced that Martinet will be taking on the new role of Mario Amassador:

nintendo mario.png

What this new role entails wasn't made clear but we might find out more soon as the post also mentioned that a "special video message" from Shigeru Miyamoto and Charles Martinet will be shared later/

:arrow: SOURCE

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Aw shucks.

Nintendo sure has thousands of pre recordings, right?
They'll probably still use them in the future.

But seriously, that Super Mario Wonder trailer, Mario's voice was a bit off for me.

I'm sure, whoever replaces Martinet will be welcomed by Nintendo fans.

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

The iconic and long time voice actor of numerous characters in the Super Mario franchise, Charles Martinet is stepping back from recording character voices in Nintendo games. The news was shared by Nintendo's official Twitter account today where the company also announced that Martinet will be taking on the new role of Mario Amassador:

What this new role entails wasn't made clear but we might find out more soon as the post also mentioned that a "special video message" from Shigeru Miyamoto and Charles Martinet will be shared later/

:arrow: SOURCE
We all knew he would step down eventually.

Jaxom

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Wouldn't think it would impact the voice. It would be very easy just to recycle the voice clips from past Mario games. Which they've already been doing. lol
And with the possibilities offered by AI solutions, Nintendo could definitely train one to keep a very close vocal signature for the future lines that could be needed.

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
It's such a weird feeling... it's one of those things you never thought would happen because all your life was like that.

I was born in 1993, and obviously was there when Martinet first voiced Mario.

All this years later... suddenly knowing the voice you grew up with won't be around anymore, forever... it's almost like, something died.
It's weird.

James_

aka Underscore_ or 'that Meowstic guy'
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Unfortunate, but most of us managed to see this coming from a mile away because of the different voices in the SMB Wonder and WW Move It trailers.

My guess is that they'll use the new voices in big titles, while Charles' several thousand voice recordings will probably be reused for spinoffs. Like that one time where a voiceclip from the GameCube era was used in the story opening of Tennis Aces.

Either way, I hope he has a good retirement from voicing the bing bing wahoo man. And I hope the new voice actors will do a good job filling in the big shoes left behind.

Lazyt

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
he
Aw shucks.

Nintendo sure has thousands of pre recordings, right?
They'll probably still use them in the future.

But seriously, that Super Mario Wonder trailer, Mario's voice was a bit off for me.

I'm sure, whoever replaces Martinet will be welcomed by Nintendo fans.
is going to be replaced instantly

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
he

is going to be replaced instantly
Hard to say if they will mix old recordings in. There have been instances in games where they have used clips from multiple VAs. Mario Tennis Aces notably uses clips from Bowser's current and old VA.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto