Homebrew CaVE Database Manager - A SNES, NES, N64, Genesis Switch Online modding App

RetroGamer360

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The CaVE Stock Database Update JSON and Full Unlock patches for NSO SNES/SFC v3.2.0 and NES/FC v6.2.0 are now available on the website!

And while CaVE v1.4 itself is still not out, its in testing. A few bugs so far, but for the most part Sloop and Hiyoko support seem to be fully merged in well.

When its stable, I'll release it publicly. And maybe start work on OTHER apps. Likely official Super Mario 3D All-stars support. And perhaps Saturn? Not sure if there's any demand for that one, as I havent been following that thread. But it should be more realistic to support now in CaVE.
where can i find the update for SNES/SFC NSO v3.2.0?

RetroGamer360

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The CaVE Stock Database Update JSON and Full Unlock patches for NSO SNES/SFC v3.2.0 and NES/FC v6.2.0 are now available on the website!

And while CaVE v1.4 itself is still not out, its in testing. A few bugs so far, but for the most part Sloop and Hiyoko support seem to be fully merged in well.

When its stable, I'll release it publicly. And maybe start work on OTHER apps. Likely official Super Mario 3D All-stars support. And perhaps Saturn? Not sure if there's any demand for that one, as I havent been following that thread. But it should be more realistic to support now in CaVE.
my stock games make a ping noise when trying to start them but they don't start up at all..

my stock games make a ping noise when trying to start them but they don't start up at all..

DarkAkuma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CaVE does not support NSO SNES v3.3 yet... I didn't release the update json, and only half ass updated the unlock patch list.

v3.3 requires cave to be updated. It breaks compatibility. And since I feel cave v1.4 is not ready yet, and since v3.3 is extremely lackluster and not in demand... I have been delaying cave v1.4 some more to continue to work on it.

If you decided to update for some reason, without me saying its supported and providing the update json... well, theres a workaround fix for that issue I guess. But it isn't pretty...

Open the lclassics.titlesdb file in a text editor.
Press Ctrl+H or whatever brings up the text search and replace feature.
Search for "/2", without the quotes.
Replace with "/S-2", without the quotes.
Save when all are replaced.
You will need to manually add "S-" to the beginning of your custom roms filenames too, or avoid text replacing them in the titlesdb file.

Alternatively... you could hop into the discord and grab the beta copy of CaVE 1.4. But understand thats a test build.

RetroGamer360

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CaVE does not support NSO SNES v3.3 yet... I didn't release the update json, and only half ass updated the unlock patch list.

v3.3 requires cave to be updated. It breaks compatibility. And since I feel cave v1.4 is not ready yet, and since v3.3 is extremely lackluster and not in demand... I have been delaying cave v1.4 some more to continue to work on it.

If you decided to update for some reason, without me saying its supported and providing the update json... well, theres a workaround fix for that issue I guess. But it isn't pretty...

Alternatively... you could hop into the discord and grab the beta copy of CaVE 1.4. But understand thats a test build.
okay i'll try the beta test build first and if that option doesn't work for me then i'll try editing the titles file thank you

Previous News

DarkAkuma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A big update for CaVE!

As promised, both Slip Database Manager and Custom Hiyoko Creator have been merged into CaVE. How? Well, you can simply select to load a Sloop+ database, same as an NSO one, or create a Sloop+ database and NSP. And for Hiyoko, you just Select the Hiyoko Setup option from the File menu to open a setup wizard.

I put a lot of work into the setup wizard framework thats used for both Sloop+ and Hiyoko NSP creation. And the result is... the standard, familiar, bland setup wizard that anyone should be able to understand and use! Get familiar with it, as it will be re-used for other things later.

Seeing as the Sloop+ setup wizard existed before in Slip, and the database management is unchanged, I'll focus on Hiyoko.

For Hiyoko there is likely one main part that might confuse people, as it requires a manual but nessacery pre-setup step. You will need to extract the folders from the "hiyoko_unsorted" archive to their own folder. These contain the Hiyoko Emulator Source files, and the parent folder is what you select with the "Source NCA folder" option.

Once that import directory is selected, on the next page you will find the "Hiyoko Emulator Source" option. You can leave that as the recommended default, but as always, I tried to allow some freedom of choice, other options working or not. I even enabled the "Qix - A - Debug1" option to output a working NSP... in all its 16fps glory...

There's a emulation settings page similar to Sloop+'s game config window. I chose some default settings that will work for any GB/GBC game, and look good. If you want to use the monochrome original GB palette, you can change that with the Machine Type option.

Everything else should be strait-forward and easy to figure out on your own!

Change Log:

• Merged in code and functionality from Slip Database Manager.
  • Merged in premise and functionality from Custom Hiyoko NSP Creator.
  • Various improvements to the Sloop+ Setup wizard.
  • Added a few more minor hacks to Sloop+.
  • Creating Hiyoko NSP's uses a similar wizard.
  • There are now more options and greater customization paths for creating Hiyoko NSP's.
  • Fixed an issue with creating a NSO database, not creating the proper folder structure or adding stock games to the new database.
  • Improved the Update Database option to also update titlesdb info in addition to the strings file info. This will reset ANY customizations you have made to the stock game's info.
  • Added support for NSO SNES/SFC v3.3.0.0. With it, if you do not use the above Update Database option to update your existing database to v3.3, stock games will crash when you try to load them.

Known issues:

"Stock games will not boot. Custom games boot fine though.". This is of course mentioned in the changelog, but you need to use the "File > Update Database > v3.3.0.0" option then save your database before copying/exporting it over to your Switch. Do this AFTER adding any pre-v3.3.0.0 stock games, to ensure those are up-to-date too.

Some people reported issues where saving the database crashes CaVE. I require more/better info on the issue as I can not reproduce it. It makes no sense...

One person has a issue where the setup wizards freezes at "Packing new Program NCA...". I tried... A LOT. But could not solve it. It makes no more sense then the above issue... Fixed?

If you see a "Could not find file" main.elf error, or nx2elf.exe errors mentioning .dll, you might need to install a vc redist package.

Last edited by DarkAkuma,

AndreDPalhares

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hi @DarkAkuma, just logged on here to thank you for all the effort you put in this project. I have made the N64 online app to work not on the first time (loading a stock database through Cave got me stuck into the red loading screen), but after getting a preset 43-roms database from some nsp sharing website and loading into Cave it ran smoothly. From there I was able to add other games and everything is running much better than in Retroarch. And you even made a widescreen mod!

DarkAkuma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi @DarkAkuma, just logged on here to thank you for all the effort you put in this project. I have made the N64 online app to work not on the first time (loading a stock database through Cave got me stuck into the red loading screen), but after getting a preset 43-roms database from some nsp sharing website and loading into Cave it ran smoothly. From there I was able to add other games and everything is running much better than in Retroarch. And you even made a widescreen mod!

Sorry but... you praise me... and insult me at the same time...

Please dont support those shitty pre-made packs. THOSE are an insult to me, and my work, and supporting those is an insult to me. And as a result, FYI... I wont be offering you any support if needed as I refuse to provide help support for packs thats existence I dont want in the first place. I have asked that people request that those sites remove those pieces of crap, not go there, use them and tell me about it...

Seriously. If I was to quit working on CaVE again, the number one likely reason would be those things...

EDIT:

Sorry. I don't mean to call you out or single you out, if it comes across like that. This is just a sore subject.

But either way, I have now made my feeling and stance on such things more clear in the OP and on my website.

AndreDPalhares

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

Sorry but... you praise me... and insult me at the same time...

Please dont support those shitty pre-made packs. THOSE are an insult to me, and my work, and supporting those is an insult to me. And as a result, FYI... I wont be offering you any support if needed as I refuse to provide help support for packs thats existence I dont want in the first place. I have asked that people request that those sites remove those pieces of crap, not go there, use them and tell me about it...

Seriously. If I was to quit working on CaVE again, the number one likely reason would be those things...

EDIT:

Sorry. I don't mean to call you out or single you out, if it comes across like that. This is just a sore subject.

But either way, I have now made my feeling and stance on such things more clear in the OP and on my website.
I think you should work a little bit on the setup guide to clear out how to get things working from the roms provided by the stock NSP. I tried to follow the current steps, added a rom/dtz, saved and copied the database files to the SD card but got stuck in the loading screen when launching the app. As you tried to troubleshoot in the FAQ, something was corrupted along the way, probably the lclassics file.

So I saw the same folder structure in the pack, copied, and it just loaded into Cave, so whoever did this also used your tool. I didn't meant to encourage users to do it, but it was the way I made it to work! Why does using preloaded files disappoint you? Yeah, and appart from that tip above please put that on your website :)

TheDude879

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A big update for CaVE!

As promised, both Slip Database Manager and Custom Hiyoko Creator have been merged into CaVE. How? Well, you can simply select to load a Sloop+ database, same as an NSO one, or create a Sloop+ database and NSP. And for Hiyoko, you just Select the Hiyoko Setup option from the File menu to open a setup wizard.

I put a lot of work into the setup wizard framework thats used for both Sloop+ and Hiyoko NSP creation. And the result is... the standard, familiar, bland setup wizard that anyone should be able to understand and use! Get familiar with it, as it will be re-used for other things later.

Seeing as the Sloop+ setup wizard existed before in Slip, and the database management is unchanged, I'll focus on Hiyoko.

For Hiyoko there is likely one main part that might confuse people, as it requires a manual but nessacery pre-setup step. You will need to extract the folders from the "hiyoko_unsorted" archive to their own folder. These contain the Hiyoko Emulator Source files, and the parent folder is what you select with the "Source NCA folder" option.

Once that import directory is selected, on the next page you will find the "Hiyoko Emulator Source" option. You can leave that as the recommended default, but as always, I tried to allow some freedom of choice, other options working or not. I even enabled the "Qix - A - Debug1" option to output a working NSP... in all its 16fps glory...

There's a emulation settings page similar to Sloop+'s game config window. I chose some default settings that will work for any GB/GBC game, and look good. If you want to use the monochrome original GB palette, you can change that with the Machine Type option.

Everything else should be strait-forward and easy to figure out on your own!

Change Log:

Known issues:

"Stock games will not boot. Custom games boot fine though.". This is of course mentioned in the changelog, but you need to use the "File > Update Database > v3.3.0.0" option then save your database before copying/exporting it over to your Switch. Do this AFTER adding any pre-v3.3.0.0 stock games, to ensure those are up-to-date too.

Some people reported issues where saving the database crashes CaVE. I require more/better info on the issue as I can not reproduce it. It makes no sense...

One person has a issue where the setup wizards freezes at "Packing new Program NCA...". I tried... A LOT. But could not solve it. It makes no more sense then the above issue... Fixed?

If you see a "Could not find file" main.elf error, or nx2elf.exe errors mentioning .dll, you might need to install a vc redist package.
I downloaded the new version of cave but there is no listing for version 3.3.0.0 in the update database option.

Nevermind. Figured it out.

Last edited by TheDude879,

DarkAkuma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think you should work a little bit on the setup guide to clear out how to get things working from the roms provided by the stock NSP. I tried to follow the current steps, added a rom/dtz, saved and copied the database files to the SD card but got stuck in the loading screen when launching the app. As you tried to troubleshoot in the FAQ, something was corrupted along the way, probably the lclassics file.

So I saw the same folder structure in the pack, copied, and it just loaded into Cave, so whoever did this also used your tool. I didn't meant to encourage users to do it, but it was the way I made it to work! Why does using preloaded files disappoint you? Yeah, and appart from that tip above please put that on your website :)

The ROMs from the stock NSP... work. There's no special anything that needs to be done for them.

Well... unless you mean, updating your database and using "Add Stock Game". Its possible it could be covered in the setup guide... I dont tend to think of how users might do their first installs. Maybe they just install the base app, then create a base database? Before a short time later updating their NSO, and thus needing to update their database too.

I guess my assumption is that new users install the base app then latest update all the time. My guide probably comes across as just installing the base app. So... ill look into that.

EDIT:

Updated. Added this to the general setup step.

6.) (Optional): If you have accidentally selected or previously setup a database for an earlier version of the app, you will need to manually add the games added in those updates yourself as desired. Go to "File > Add Game > Add Stock Game" and select what is available, if any. This must be done each time you update the app, if you want to see the new games added in that update. As far as the stock games are concerned, think of the database as a collection of links. The app updates the files, so you need to update your links to see those files.

It will often be good to use the "File > Update Database" option too after adding stock games each time you update. Doing so updates any changes to meta data and settings.

As well as a couple fixes to sync up with the modern menu layout of the cave app.

Previous News (06-24-22)

DarkAkuma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CaVE has been updated to v1.4.0.1.

This update includes the latest database for the NSO-N64 v2.4.0 (Pokemon Snap) update.

Updated database for NSO-N64 v2.4.0 (Pokemon Snap).
Some changes made to handle the new thing of having 4 different PAL versions of a game.
PAL games will now show a P, PD, PF, PI, or PS next to them in the Add Stock Games menu.
New Display Version setting added for use with these PAL games.
Fixed some info display issues.

In other, still in development news...

Hovercraft (SM3DAS N64) support is looking good. No issues reported recently, but... that may be because no one is testing it. At least last time it was reported on, it was working well.

I started work on ZebraEngine (Saturn Tribute Emu) support a few days ago too, and thats going well too. But has not been posted for testing yet.

Hovercraft support allows for the v0 and v1.1.1 update, allows you to use existing DTZs which files are automatically adjusted to be compatible. Supports all files from a DTZ, and has a new Config editor to go with it. The manual screen is supported, and dynamically adjusted to remove useless stuff.

ZebraEngine currently supports the 3 original stand alone nsps. The Credits/Guide screens are reduced to 1 CaVE unique page each. I have preliminary support for up to 9 credit/guide pages, and 9 wall papers. But there is a limit on how many collectively can be used. I decyphered the formatting in the UI texture file, and as a result I can support the unused Korean and Chinese language UI modes (more or less). But atm Im not committed to following through on that. I fixed it to boot up into English boot first. The UI panel in the lower left will be removed too.

As always, with these Im focused on simplicity in setup. A strait forward wizard. No need for step by step guides, command line input, bat scripts, etc. Just a nice user friendly experience. So Im hoping it will be well received. CaVE really is expanding its scope and use! Basically 8 virtual console emu apps!

AndreDPalhares

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
The ROMs from the stock NSP... work. There's no special anything that needs to be done for them.

Well... unless you mean, updating your database and using "Add Stock Game". Its possible it could be covered in the setup guide... I dont tend to think of how users might do their first installs. Maybe they just install the base app, then create a base database? Before a short time later updating their NSO, and thus needing to update their database too.

I guess my assumption is that new users install the base app then latest update all the time. My guide probably comes across as just installing the base app. So... ill look into that.

EDIT:

Updated. Added this to the general setup step.

As well as a couple fixes to sync up with the modern menu layout of the cave app.
When I did the first time I installed the base (v0) app, created a new database @ Cave and added a new game to it. Then, copied the files to the respective folders. I am still in v0, should I expect to mess everything up if any update is installed?

By the way, I'll soon look at the updates you made in your page, haven't got so much time this week. I appreciate the time you had to get the process more clear!

DarkAkuma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am still in v0, should I expect to mess everything up if any update is installed?

No. Well largely, updating the app itself changes nothing for a cave user. Not until you use CaVE to update your database and add stock games.

But from the base app to say, the latest version... there could always be an issue. Simply due to how much may be changed since the original version. There are a couple significant changes that could cause issue if you dont do things right when updating. But the Update Database option should address those issues. Update your app, open cave, add the stock games up to that new version, then select Update Database, and you "should" be good.

superghost

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey just a quick question...In the compat file it shows Pilot Wings as a green title. I have noticed a few hitches with this game. One being that the sound is a bit off, and there are a few bugs with shadows and objects etc. In the first jetpack level you can see alot of graphical issues happening. Just curious if this is something that is wrong with the rom or on my end in some way? Or if anyone else has noticed this as well. Also, thanks so much for this amazing software!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo