Homebrew CaVE Database Manager - A SNES, NES, N64, Genesis Switch Online modding App

DarkAkuma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any luck Brother?! I would love to play Drill Dozer on my Nintendo Switch TOT

As I recall, I think the emu has a hardcoded hack for Super Mario Advance 4 to enable rumble. At the very least, there is no option to enable it (yet?).

You might want to try editing the ROM header's GameID to that of SMA4's GameID. That would be the most likely way the hack is triggered. But... I don't know much about the rumble stuff with GBA to know if the rumble code is compatible with all rumble games like that.

Nintendoswitchmodfan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As I recall, I think the emu has a hardcoded hack for Super Mario Advance 4 to enable rumble. At the very least, there is no option to enable it (yet?).

You might want to try editing the ROM header's GameID to that of SMA4's GameID. That would be the most likely way the hack is triggered. But... I don't know much about the rumble stuff with GBA to know if the rumble code is compatible with all rumble games like that.
Thank you ever so much, will give it a try <3

Maxwellp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last two updated N64 .dtz's submitted for Earthworm Jim 3D and Turok 1. Both games already worked but they should be more stable and without glitches now.

I'm gonna take a break from tinkering since a lot of other games are much harder to get working, or impossible without custom code. If anyone has interest in picking it up, I'll help however I can.

Latest News

DarkAkuma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A new NSO update is out. GBC/GBC v1.3 (Zelda Oracle Games)

But... going forward, I will not be updating CaVE v1.4 anymore. However, the CaVE v1.5 Beta is now a open Beta! And this latest update is now already available via its automatic update feature.

EDIT:

Never mind. The CaVE v1.5 Beta will remain a discord exclusive. But I will still no longer be updating v1.4.

Last edited by DarkAkuma,

DarkAkuma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With this GB NSO update, it now has feature parity with GBA where two players can select a different game each.

I was noticing that with the ANOTHERTITLE params in the titlesdb/strings.lng. Thankfully, I assumed it was coming and CaVE already supports those params for stock games.

I didn't check, so may as well ask you. Is the transfer_title param now supported in GB/GBC NSO? That I don't have coded for GB/GBC yet. I know its not officially used. But that doesn't mean its not supported.

Last edited by DarkAkuma,

friskyparrot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DarkAkuma!

I have been a lurker for quite some time. I stumbled across CaVE when it was no longer available due to lack of feedback/appreciation I believe. I am quite a few bevs deep so forgive me as I am a little foggy on the details of why it was pulled, but that is not the point. However I do remember being incredibly excited when you brought it back. I have more or less read through this entire thread since then, drama and all, and I just want to say I personally am so grateful that you continue to do what you do.

I initially tinkered around with a hacked SNES Classic and I believe that was what lead me to your work. I got a modded V1 Switch to take it one step further and to specifically be my “ultimate all-in-one classic Nintendo emulator” via Switch Online, the only “games” on it are the NSO apps tricked out by CaVE. And no, not with every ROM known to exist that I will never play. The hits, the classics, and my favs all in one spot and I love it. That is exactly how I want it. Early on I saw a lot of what I see everywhere else; “why bother getting games to work with the NSO apps when you can just use Retroarch”. I have nothing against that, but the official NSO apps just hit that sweet spot, and I believe you have paved the way and truly unlocked their potential.

If I’m not mistaken, you were working on getting the Switch side of things up and running before you even owned a Switch. I am going to assume there are others out there like me that rely on you when a new NSO update hits, and come to this thread to find that you have already updated CaVE. I often check here and your site to see what kind of stuff you are cooking up (I know I know I should probs join your discord)

TL;DR - I want to genuinely say thank you for your tireless work with CaVE. I know this thread has more questions that have previously been answered, than it does appreciation posts, you are doing a thankless job, but I will admit I am also part of that problem for not saying anything up until now. Just know that we are out here, and we appreciate you.

Cheers mate

DarkAkuma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DarkAkuma!

I have been a lurker for quite some time. I stumbled across CaVE when it was no longer available due to lack of feedback/appreciation I believe. I am quite a few bevs deep so forgive me as I am a little foggy on the details of why it was pulled, but that is not the point. However I do remember being incredibly excited when you brought it back. I have more or less read through this entire thread since then, drama and all, and I just want to say I personally am so grateful that you continue to do what you do.

I initially tinkered around with a hacked SNES Classic and I believe that was what lead me to your work. I got a modded V1 Switch to take it one step further and to specifically be my “ultimate all-in-one classic Nintendo emulator” via Switch Online, the only “games” on it are the NSO apps tricked out by CaVE. And no, not with every ROM known to exist that I will never play. The hits, the classics, and my favs all in one spot and I love it. That is exactly how I want it. Early on I saw a lot of what I see everywhere else; “why bother getting games to work with the NSO apps when you can just use Retroarch”. I have nothing against that, but the official NSO apps just hit that sweet spot, and I believe you have paved the way and truly unlocked their potential.

If I’m not mistaken, you were working on getting the Switch side of things up and running before you even owned a Switch. I am going to assume there are others out there like me that rely on you when a new NSO update hits, and come to this thread to find that you have already updated CaVE. I often check here and your site to see what kind of stuff you are cooking up (I know I know I should probs join your discord)

TL;DR - I want to genuinely say thank you for your tireless work with CaVE. I know this thread has more questions that have previously been answered, than it does appreciation posts, you are doing a thankless job, but I will admit I am also part of that problem for not saying anything up until now. Just know that we are out here, and we appreciate you.

Cheers mate

Thank you for the expressed appreciation!

The lack of feedback\appreciation\response... was why I dropped the project before N64/Gen. That is just one among many sad states of modern internet/emulation culture that I have struggled to get used to. With this project in particular, it has ups and downs of popularity that I can't adjust to well. At times it seems very popular. Other times... it seems like almost no one is using it. Thus I often try different things, just to see some engagement to know if I should continue working on it. Like expanding it to support the non-NSO stuff, while trying to stay somewhat "on brand".

The latest v1.5 revamp is another such instance. I have tried to take into account things I have heard previously, or common questions, and use that to make a better app. I put a lot of work into it over the past few months, so... I'm hoping its received well. Less of a need to reference a FAQ, less chance for user error when exporting, less of a chance for mods to cause confusing issues, less daunting/confusing interface, more features, more information, elevating lesser used features to more viability and prominence, etc. I try to find ways to make what I am working on more interesting to me. But ultimately, this revamp is for the users, through and through.

I have no plans to cancel the project again... obviously, since I just released the beta for a major new update. But do still have to admit that, this project lives and dies by the responses it gets. If the response to a major addition is like... it was for say my ZebraEngine support (something I figured would inject some life and broader appeal into CaVE), then don't be surprised if I step back and just go through the motions of bare minimum updates again. I hope THIS update does better. Or at least... we get through addressing the main bugs, so people aren't stuck with something that's deemed "buggy" for a year, all because they never reported them clearly/directly, and as far as I know, things are fine.

Again. Thank you! I hope you continue to enjoy CaVE going forward! =)

zeon_xp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi,
is it possible to show the games on the Home Menu and launch them with NSO like a forwarder? I saw the pictures with the GBC games and the N64 Ocarina of time on the main post and I would like to do it with some games.

Thanks!

DarkAkuma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi,
is it possible to show the games on the Home Menu and launch them with NSO like a forwarder? I saw the pictures with the GBC games and the N64 Ocarina of time on the main post and I would like to do it with some games.

Thanks!

No.

Those games you saw are not NSO. Those are Hiyoko and Hovercraft made NSPs. If that is something you absolutely want, Hovercraft is a viable enough emulator for that. But Hiyoko has too many limits (the lack of it saving being the main limit).

LuigiBlood

Mage Robot
Trophies
Website
luigiblood.neocities.org
XP
Country
France
I was noticing that with the ANOTHERTITLE params in the titlesdb/strings.lng. Thankfully, I assumed it was coming and CaVE already supports those params for stock games.

I didn't check, so may as well ask you. Is the transfer_title param now supported in GB/GBC NSO? That I don't have coded for GB/GBC yet. I know its not officially used. But that doesn't mean its not supported.
I did a quick grep and it seems to have it supported but it needs to be said that it fully depends on the game, in the case of GBA, transfer_title was used for hacks inside the emulator specifically outside of just UI. So using that would be just for the UI and nothing else.

Reactions: DarkAkuma

melitah

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands Antilles
A new NSO update is out. GBC/GBC v1.3 (Zelda Oracle Games)

But... going forward, I will not be updating CaVE v1.4 anymore. However, the CaVE v1.5 Beta is now a open Beta! And this latest update is now already available via its automatic update feature.

EDIT:

Never mind. The CaVE v1.5 Beta will remain a discord exclusive. But I will still no longer be updating v1.4.

How can I join your discord?

Yumeno

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Just wanted to say that I genuinely really appreciate what you're doing here, this project alone got me so invested into these apps again and I've been experimenting with so many games, the NSO emulation feels really good!

Though I've been wondering if anything can be done about the tilting on games like WarioWare Twisted unless I needed to toggle anything in specific? (I'm also sorry if this has been asked!)

DarkAkuma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just wanted to say that I genuinely really appreciate what you're doing here, this project alone got me so invested into these apps again and I've been experimenting with so many games, the NSO emulation feels really good!

Though I've been wondering if anything can be done about the tilting on games like WarioWare Twisted unless I needed to toggle anything in specific? (I'm also sorry if this has been asked!)

A gyroscope game? As far as I know, thats not supported. Don't expect support for a feature when no such other games exists in the stock game list. That probably wont be supported until they specifically add that game itself.

Reactions: Yumeno

Ligeia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I previously used Cave manager a while back and it worked fine, I'm getting back to it for Saturn emulation, but the NSP I create don't work and get me back to home menu.

I'm using Cave 1.4.6, my Switch (EUR) is 16.0.3, I use Cotton Boomerang as a base and I created these NSP :
- Toshinden Remix EUR
- Toshinden URA EUR
- Dark Savior EUR
- Saturn Bomberman US

Any idea why it doesn't work please ?

Last edited by Ligeia,

DarkAkuma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I previously used Cave manager a while back and it worked fine, I'm getting back to it for Saturn emulation, but the NSP I create don't work and get me back to home menu.

I'm using Cave 1.4.6, my Switch (EUR) is 16.0.3, I use Cotton Boomerang as a base and I created these NSP :
- Toshinden Remix EUR
- Toshinden URA EUR
- Dark Savior EUR
- Saturn Bomberman US

Any idea why it doesn't work please ?

I don't know what the issue would be. I do know that the Saturn support in v1.4 has some bugs, that I have since fixed in v1.5 now that I have been made aware of them. But... I don't feel those bugs are related to your issue.

Those 2 Toshinden games are not even on the remake of the lost compatibility list I made. But Dark Savior looked to require an INI, and that may be relevant. Could be that those are EUR too. Saturn Bomberman USA though... That should work.

All I can say right now I guess is, if you can... try out my v1.5 Beta from my discord channel. See if that fixes the issue.

Ligeia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Well I don't use discord at all and I have no clue how that works, and I don't feel like using yet another social media at the moment, so I'll stick to 1.4 as much as possible. I don't know how INI files work as well, I'll look into it if I have to.

I thought maybe the problem was my original Cotton Boomerang NSP, but this one works without issue. I also tried using Cotton 2 as a base, to no avail.

Here are screenshots if that can help :

cap.jpg

I get this error when installing the NSP files (it's a retroarch forwarder here but it's the same thing with the Saturn NSP files)
1691381661390.jpeg

And that's the error I always get when launching the channels

cap.jpg

Last edited by Ligeia,

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well I don't use discord at all and I have no clue how that works, and I don't feel like using yet another social media at the moment, so I'll stick to 1.4 as much as possible. I don't know how INI files work as well, I'll look into it if I have to.

I thought maybe the problem was my original Cotton Boomerang NSP, but this one works without issue. I also tried using Cotton 2 as a base, to no avail.

View attachment 386981

I get this error when installing the NSP files (it's a retroarch forwarder here but it's the same thing with the Saturn NSP files)
View attachment 386983

View attachment 386980
My first thought is sigpatches. Try installing the latest from https://sigmapatches.coomer.party/

DarkAkuma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I don't much like debugging stuff I may have fixed already in v1.5, but... by all rights this sounds like it should work even in v1.4.6. So I just made the EXACT same NSP myself, using v1.4.6. Well, exact in the things that matter. Same

"Saturn Bomberman (USA) (DW0837)" BIN/CUE

And I believe the same Cotton Boomerang NSP, but may not be "exact".

"Cotton Boomerang Saturn Tribute [010077001526E000][v0][Base].nsp" (324MB)

No INI selection (Not needed, and is mostly broken in v1.4.6 anyway.)
Chose my own icon image that might be different, but should not matter.
I always have at least 1 custom wallpaper set, but should not matter.
Publisher set to blank, but should not matter.
TitleID set to something specific so I ensure I overwrite pre-existing installs... but should not matter.

And the result is...

2023080707071800_s.jpg

2023080707070700_s.jpg

Boots perfectly fine.

So my only guesses are that there is a difference in the Cotton Boomerang NSPs, and somehow that's significant? Or your prod keys is wrong/bad?

Maybe the sig patches thing Hippy Dave suggests? But that should not be relevant to this I think. The signature errors with installs are normal, just because CaVE cant make nca's that are validly signed.

Reactions: hippy dave

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto