XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
The only problem with adding this to modmii is there is no legal way to get "SD:/bootmii_ios.bin" without dumping it yourself. I'm sure it will end up being uploaded all over the net by shady sources, but ModMii won't stoop to that level. I think the best ModMii will be able to do is instruct users how to extract bootmii_ios.bin from an already softmodded wii.

I think someone needs to write a little app that can dump bootmii_ios.bin so users don't need to use dangerous tools to browse their nand. Then ModMii can just tell users to run that tool on a wii with bootmii @ IOS installed to extract the file, then they can load neek on another wii without softmodding it at all.

Btw, I played with this last night and got it to load uneek+di and load games via the di menu and joyflow without any issues. GiantPune in the man, I think this is the probably the biggest thing the Wii Scene will ever see happen before the scene itself is history. This is an achievement of epic proportions!

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The only problem with adding this to modmii is there is no legal way to get "SD:/bootmii_ios.bin" without dumping it yourself. I'm sure it will end up being uploaded all over the net by shady sources, but ModMii won't stoop to that level. I think the best ModMii will be able to do is instruct users how to extract bootmii_ios.bin from an already softmodded wii.

I think someone needs to write a little app that can dump bootmii_ios.bin so users don't need to use dangerous tools to browse their nand. Then ModMii can just tell users to run that tool on a wii with bootmii @ IOS installed to extract the file, then they can load neek on another wii without softmodding it at all.

Btw, I played with this last night and got it to load uneek+di and load games via the di menu and joyflow without any issues. GiantPune in the man, I think this is the probably the biggest thing the Wii Scene will ever see happen before the scene itself is history. This is an achievement of epic proportions!

What do you mean "dump" it? Is it not just armboot.bin from the SD card renamed?

Why not just load armboot.bin?

And yeah, epic achievement ripping code out of Riivolution.

Was he given the source? If so, was this not predictable?

Anyway, I guess that explains why it works with IOS37

obcd

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
That's right, if you rename and launch the neek armboot.bin from the root of your sd, it brings you straight into neek.

I think it's possible to hexedit casper to load another file, eventually from a subfolder on the sd card.

obcd

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
@[member='snikerz']

He is talking about the prev. rev. 12 versions of dml that only worked in sneek+di with bootmii @ boot2
This makes it possible to launch sneek+di without bootmii @ ios.
If you don't want to alter your wii nand, you can't use the latest dml the way it's implemented now.

XFlak

Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
sweet! I didn't think of that! I can add an option to ModMii for ppl who don't want to void their warranty or make any permanent changes to their Wii! Just Build sneek+di or uneek+di, rename\load the armboot.bin using exploit.+casper.

So is there any real need to extract the real "bootmii_ios.bin"? Obviously it's not required for neek, but would it be required for anything else casper related?

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
sweet! I didn't think of that! I can add an option to ModMii for ppl who don't want to void their warranty or make any permanent changes to their Wii! Just Build sneek+di or uneek+di, rename\load the armboot.bin using exploit.+casper.

So is there any real need to extract the real "bootmii_ios.bin"? Obviously it's not required for neek, but would it be required for anything else casper related?
What is the "real bootmii_ios.bin"? Where does that come from?

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
on a Wii with bootmii@IOS installed it's found here on the nand:
title\00000001\000000fe\content\00000000.app

or it’s the largest .app file from an unpacked WAD of bootmii@IOS (IOS254)

latest bootmii ios md5: ec74e8ae99b6eccbf6606431fe99d4fd
http://gbatemp.net/topic/318748-casper-by-giantpune/page__view__findpost__p__4066538

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
OK, so what is it? If this tool works with armboot.bin instead, what is the difference between bootmii_ios.bin and the armboot.bin that the hackmii installer places on the SD card?

chaosdarkneo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK, so what is it? If this tool works with armboot.bin instead, what is the difference between bootmii_ios.bin and the armboot.bin that the hackmii installer places on the SD card?
There is no difference.

bootmii_ios.bin IS armboot.bin, just renamed.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
There is no difference.

I am talking about the one that is installed as part of BootMii/IOS - clearly there has to be some difference, otherwise why would the HackMii Installer put it on both SD card and on NAND?

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
There is no difference.

I am talking about the one that is installed as part of BootMii/IOS - clearly there has to be some difference, otherwise why would the HackMii Installer put it on both SD card and on NAND?
I'm pretty sure Casper is an alternative to BootMii. You don't have to do anything (or even install if you are using another armboot.bin file) BootMii to use Casper.

XFlak

Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
It's the main executable of bootmii @ IOS.

Basically AFAIK it's what loads SD:\bootmii\armboot.bin. But since we can load armboot.bin (either the original or the mod used to boot sd:\sneek\kernel.bin) by renaming it "sd:\bootmii_ios.bin" I was asking if there is any circumstance (that I haven't thought of yet) where using armboot.bin would not have the same desired result as using "title\00000001\000000fe\content\00000000.app". I think that armboot.bin should be enough in all conceivable cases but I'm not sure if I've thought of everything, so I figured I'd ask.

And yes, Joostin I saw your post and still decided this question was worth asking.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Taylor Swift death metal AI cover please lol