Hacking Case mod for my USB Hard Drive - Take a look.

ThaKillerKlown

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for all the comments guys.

I bought the stand @ GameStop for $10.00.

I use a standard 3.5" IDE hdd with a Nexxtech IDE to USB hdd enclosure.

I used a dremel tool with various bits to cut the plastic and metal pieces and a drill for the holes on the back.

The light was already in the original Nexxtech enclosure, I just put it in the new case. It was really an easy swap with basic handtools and patience.

nIxx

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hmm someone knows where i can get this in Germany
smile.gif
?

suppachipmunk

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure if this would work:

but what about lining the entire enclosure with a thin sheet of aluminum, a tad bit thicker than aluminum foil, and then punching the air ventilation holes?

Would the aluminum draw away the heat, and then disperse it out the case through the air holes?

just a thought, may or may not work.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
pretty fucking sweet just make sure it's got plenty of ventilation and cooling. what's that called again? might pick one up myself
tongue.gif

damn none on ebay...

malsuk

Trophies
XP
Country
great effort I like alot.

good job fella.

anyone in the UK want one of these stands I have just ordered one here :

hXXp://www.amazon.co.uk/PDP-Nintendo-Licensed-Console-Storage/dp/B000W4MV6K/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1242316362&sr=8-8

rolleyes.gif

ThaKillerKlown

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
bugaveli said:
great job! Sweet as hell. I think the company that makes those stands should pay you , because you just sold half a million of their stands. Just awesome!

Wouldn't that be nice! Hahah! I'm glad you guys like it. I'll post some more pics of it with the components laid out later.

Saintphillipe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
just as an idea guys, most likely killer used the resources he had, about the enclosure and stuff.

i'd just like to bring to your attention that there are enclosures that have fans built in, for those who have the extra cash and will to expend it, i been looking for couple of em.
this one is around $40 and has a GOOD sized fan. loved it when i saw it.

2czsvn8.jpg

Rosewill RX-358-S SLV (Silver) 3.5" SATA to USB & eSATA Ext. Enclosure w/Int.80mm fan

i bet that if you unscrew this little box ull save yourself from the issue of the power supply for the fan.

wish i could travel half a year from now to see the wii case modding competitions @_@

ThaKillerKlown

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Saintphillipe said:
just as an idea guys, most likely killer used the resources he had, about the enclosure and stuff.

i'd just like to bring to your attention that there are enclosures that have fans built in, for those who have the extra cash and will to expend it, i been looking for couple of em.
this one is around $40 and has a GOOD sized fan. loved it when i saw it.

2czsvn8.jpg

Rosewill RX-358-S SLV (Silver) 3.5" SATA to USB & eSATA Ext. Enclosure w/Int.80mm fan

i bet that if you unscrew this little box ull save yourself from the issue of the power supply for the fan.

wish i could travel half a year from now to see the wii case modding competitions @_@

So true. I used what I had. There should be plenty of room to make that fit!

Saintphillipe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
i mean, not the case.
the components.
so u have the fan already taking power from the same supply.
and won't have to use the usb powered ones.

meh, then again it would take a while to get any of these things, the stand and/or enclosure.

gotta order them and wait for weeks. living in panama.

tho i would show u guys the enclosure tho. i found slimer ones, just loved the fact that this one has 80mm fan.

i think the H for this case is 1.77'' if i recall.

0M39A

Trophies
XP
Country
Saintphillipe said:

What issue would there be?

The enclosure already has 12V and 5V power, use that to power the fan...

ThaKillerKlown

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lazyguy said:
can you post a pic of how you connected the usb (if you connected it in a special way)

I used the guts from the ide-usb enclosure, used a standard us cable?? Its all plug and play.
yay.gif

ekolimits said:
did you test this enclosure thoroughly? because i am looking for an enclose that will work, mine doesn't at the moment

50 Games so far, Transfers via: Wii drive - Hdd, PC - Hdd, 2 kids changing games with the CoverFlow usb loader constantly... 2 different brands of Hdds tested with this enclosure... I'd say yes, Thoroughly tested.
bow.gif

Bladexdsl said:
lol i just realized my little wd drive would be too small for any of these
tongue.gif

They make 2.5" versions too, and if you have one of those tiny plug and play us powered 2.5" hdd's it will simply sit in the compartment and you can run the usb cord out the back.
tongue.gif

QUOTE(thc42O @ May 15 2009, 01:00 AM)
GREAT job on this case mod man it looks REALLY nice, send me one ill pay u....my love and respect lol

I actually thought about picking up a few and modding em... I dunno? Who is that model in your avatar?
wub.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Kaden maybe contact the staff? I don't know how all that works