Hardware Can't patch GBA games.

fyreboltx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm a noob at this so if I miss something blatantly obvious... well, I blame it on my noob-ness.

I recently had to replace my R4 (it wouldn't load, regardless of what firmware I used). I ordered an R4i and also decided to get an EZ Flash V 3-in-1. I'm still using a DS Lite and only got the R4i because it was pretty much the same thing.

I used this guide to help me get started: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?act=Post&CODE=00&f=13

So I loaded up some GBA roms into my MicroSD card, loaded up GBA EXPloader .58 but couldn't get it to work. I read that EXPloader is the easiest because it loaded and patched GBA roms easily. But every time I started up EXPloaer, the screen would flicker a second and then my DS Lite would turn off.

So I went to an alternative method. I got GBALdr and GBATA. And here's where I ran into some issues.

GBATA can't patch the SRAM on some of my games.
Mario Kart - no issues.
Ninja Five-O - no issues.
Kingdom Hearts Chains of Memories - it didn't give me the option to "patch" but after I closed and restarted the app a few times, it allowed me to patch the ROM
Final Fantasy VI - I can select it just fine but the "patch" button isn't clickable.

I can use GBALdr to load the games to the NOR and then start them just fine but since I can't patch FFVI, I can't save. I haven't tried saving with any of the games I've been able to patch since, I'm assuming they work...

Any advice?

Slot 2 devices are definitely not as easy as Slot 1 devices.
hate2.gif

fyreboltx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks guys. Both programs were able to patch the SRAM.

But I still can't save in FFVI Advance.

According to the Wiki:

GBATA won't patch a game if it's unnecessary. So I basically didn't need to patch FFVI... and I wasted all this time.
wtf.gif

I know I'm loading it into NOR only.. since I have no idea what PSRAM is, so the issue can't be that I'm running the game from both NOR and PSRAM. And I couldn't save when I tried to play an unpatched ROM.

So... it likely means the battery in my EZ Flash 3 in 1 is dead. Bah!

ninchya

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lol i had some same problems with KH Chain of memories, its because that game is over the MB limit, i have no clue how much tho, Have you tried sram patching the game for ffvi? i don't use gbaloder i just sram patch the games and run it through ysmenu. and in ff games you no you can only save at crystals and overworld right? if not dunno ill try out the game

EDIT: i played FFVI you need to go to the blue sparkle, at the begining in the mines its at the left,

fyreboltx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ninchya said:
Lol i had some same problems with KH Chain of memories, its because that game is over the MB limit, i have no clue how much tho, Have you tried sram patching the game for ffvi? i don't use gbaloder i just sram patch the games and run it through ysmenu. and in ff games you no you can only save at crystals and overworld right? if not dunno ill try out the game

EDIT: i played FFVI you need to go to the blue sparkle, at the begining in the mines its at the left,

Yes, I know how to save in FFVI. I'm new to GBA emulation but I'm not new to gaming..
laugh.gif

I'm fairly sure it is the battery... whenever I start up GBA Loader, it says that it can't find the save file (whatever it's called).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My hair can't be that cool
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Ah, yes, portrait mode, surely the best way to film a row of people. If only there were some way to fit a wider shot, at the expense of height... if only...
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    4k portrait mode?
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Diddy - "I never touched her, that bitch is crazy." Video is released. Diddy - " Ok I did it, i am remorseful for my actions during my darkest times." Lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BigOnYa, Glad that the Diddler got caught once again.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Iran ran out of options
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Thought I saw my ex on that new kingdom of the Apes poster
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I thought I saw a puttie snatch...
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm so pumped, NCAA football video game is back after a 10 year hiatus, coming to SeriesS/X, PS5 in July.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wish they would let us play the NCAA football 14 on newer xbox, its one of the only games I love and own on disc still, that is not back compatible, bs.
  • AdenTheThird @ AdenTheThird:
    @BigOnYa My dad recently bought a spare Series X off of me, got game pass, and saw Madden '24 on Game Pass, decided to try it out.

...He was a bit taken aback by the 60GB download size. Poor guy's still living in the 90s!
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @AdenTheThird, Bro's still in the PS2 age.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol charging your dad's classic unless he's the type that doesn't like taking things like that
  • AdenTheThird @ AdenTheThird:
    @K3Nv2 He was looking into consoles for his house anyway (for my younger siblings and himself) and I had a spare XSX and Switch I ended up selling him at pretty steep cuts. I would just give them to him, but I did buy them with the intent to sell them... and college is super expensive.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    A little yeah...
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, [insert wut here]
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm a little hi, but bout to fix that.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I'm a little hi, but bout to fix that.