Can't Decide Between PSP-2000 & PSP-3000

Discussion in 'PSP - Games & Content' started by Rockman GFF, Dec 4, 2009.

Dec 4, 2009
  1. Rockman GFF
    OP

Member Rockman GFF GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I either want to go for either of these. Metallic Blue (2006MB) or Vibrant Blue (3000VB). But I've been hearing things about the Series 3 Model PSPs and their Screen. Is it really such a difference? In the end I really want to connect either one to a Monitor and HDTV with Component Cables. I own a Black PSP-1001 and know about it's Homebrew to output to Computer Screen via USB. But I feel like I really could use an upgrade, especially since the PSP-1001 feels slow with the Screen Refresh rate playing games and whatnot.

I also want to install CFW once the time comes when I acquire it. I own a Black PSP-1001. So I'm leaning more to the 2000 Series, mostly because it's easier with Pandora Battery.

Any thoughts and Suggestions? Thanks in Advance.

2. prowler

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    I would go with the 2000 if you don't want the hassle, thats if you get the V2 motherboard,
    3000, everytime you turn it off you have to re-hack it again

3. FNQer

Newcomer FNQer Member

Australia
    what you need to weigh up is the difference between those HEN (homebrew enabler) and full CFW - and the implications of the TA-088v3 m/b of PSP Slim and the PSP Brite over all other models. i reckon that is the major consideration over all other differences in features between PSP models.

i have both phat and slim - no desire to get the Brite or Go!. I would avoid those two models i mentioned above, because i would want to run full cfw, instead of those HEN.

Sometimes I prefer the phat over the slim - i find the extra bulk and weight of the phat quite comfortable and real solid. i do notice when i switch betw models, the phat has different feel on the buttons (not because they are more worn out than the others). the slim display is better than the phat - so I imagine the Brite would be a slight improvement in graphic display than the slim.

one thing - isn't the Brite because of its brighter screen (and maybe other features) drain its battery faster than a Slim?

i didn't realise that there is a difference in the video output between the phat & slim but there you go. If you use this feature, video out, then i guess you would prefer the slim over the phat. you intend to play games on the bigger screen or playback some video files stored on the memstick in the psp to the larger screen?

you can tell whether a Slim has a TA-088v3 model by various means - though those limited edition bundles may or may not have these identifiers on its retail packaging. May have to look at the product itself - particularly in the battery compartment to figure out whether its that dreaded m/b model or not...

scondly, you don't need a pandora battery now to perform updates/downgrades cfw on the psp. still, pandora battery and mms is handy to recover a brick. check out Hellcat's Recovery Flasher - and its objective/aim of updating/downgrading/fixing cfw without using pb. you can make the pb using this Hellcat s/w.

finally, i have assumed from your post, you don't have cfw on your psp phat. if not, why not give cfw a go on that phat?

4. Bently

Member Bently GBAtemp Fan

Canada

There is actually a plugin made so that whenever you restart it the GEN CFW is still on the psp (2k & 3k)
    called Sedna.

5. Evilmaster1985

Member Evilmaster1985 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    This is not correct.

The plugin prevents you from rebooting the device.
    It makes the option reboot device and shutdown device via VHS or recovery put it in standby instead of acutally shutting it down 100% so you have to activate HEN + GEN again.
    And prevents you from accesing the flashes. :)

6. Raiser

Member Raiser I am mad scientist.

Canada
    In my opinion, just stick with your Phat. If it doesn't have CFW on it, get it done. Quick and simple.

My friend had a Phat, and decided to get a Slim just because it was "newer". Now he regrets wasting his money because:

1 - The Slim is too small/thin to be able to be held comfortably.
    2 - Even with his wriststrap, he's so paranoid about dropping it seeing as how fragile it is.

I've had my used refurbished Phat for about a year now, and it's all good. (:

7. Hatsu

Banned Hatsu Someone's been killing, eh?

Australia
    Get the 2000.

8. Maz7006

Member Maz7006 iSEXu

Lebanon
    2000, best PSP IMO,

3000 is worthless,

the Go is terrible,

and the 1000 is well slightly big (i don't mind it, but some do)

9. Raika

Member Raika uguu

Antarctica
    Choose the 2000.

10. FestusArrestUs

Banned FestusArrestUs Banned

United States
    2000 is the best portable ever made

11. jos7960

Member jos7960 GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    I had the same problem you have. Choosing between a 2000 and 3000.
    I read something about ugly scanlines of the 3000.
    Yet I also read about more vibrant colours.
    Why did I chose the 2000?
    It was cheaper.
    Who cares about the liiiittle bit better screen, I just wanted to play PSX games. [​IMG]

BTW use MHUSPEED v3 it's faster.

12. FencingFoxFTW

Member FencingFoxFTW GBAtemp Fan

Puerto Rico
    3000 aint worthless(the GO is IMO)

I just put it on sleep mode so I dont have to HEN, and right now I'm even keeping a separate memory card just for HENing(cuz it gets stuck if your card is slow), just in case

of course, if I could get one of those cool limited edition 2000s, I would go for it

13. Rockman GFF
    OP

Member Rockman GFF GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Thanks for all your posts.

I've been running 1.50 and OFW, M33, and GEN CFWs since 2005 when I got the Phat. I've recently had to go 6.00 OFW just to play Gundam VS Gundam NEXT PLUS. The game runs fantastic on it still, there's no real loss in Frame rate until lots of things are going on at once. Once GEN D3 comes out, I'll have to see my Friend and make a Pandora Battery through his PSP to go back.

Maybe I will go for the 2000, or wait until something better comes along with 3000 Units. I figure if I only care about outputting to Monitor/HDTV it would probably be just fine to get a PSP2000. Has anyone actually done this before? And for playing games this way, is there some type of Plugin to use a Mini-B compatible connector to plug a USB Controller into?

Thanks again for the input.

14. FencingFoxFTW

Member FencingFoxFTW GBAtemp Fan

Puerto Rico
    I've read somewhere 2000 are the best for outputting, and getting a 3000 that can be HENd right now will be difficult, so disregard my previous post and go for the 2000

15. rontonimo

Newcomer rontonimo Advanced Member

United States
    I agree stick with 2000. The reason I bout the PSP 3000 was for the screen brightness. I thought it was going to be like the DS light, or DSI, WRONG. My friend has a 2000, and I don't notice a big difference between the two. I want to sell this non hackable 3000, OFW6.10. If there is I don't know about it.