• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Canadian Weed Legalization

Attacker3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
As most of you already know, Canada is planning on legalizing marijuana on October 17th of this year. There's still a chance that it might not go through, but that's a very very slim chance as of right now, considering the amount of money invested into cannabis companies.

I mostly made this thread for a new discussion, and I thought that, hey, legalization of weed is an interesting subject! So I ask you all, what is your opinion on Canada's handling of the Devil's Lettuce?

For me, they've already made a massive mistake with most of the provinces. Other than Alberta and Montreal, the only way you'll be able to get weed from a government owned building. No private companies are allowed to sell them. Another thing they mess up is you need to buy all your supplies from the government. That's right, the government has a set price on what weed is going to be (The average Canadian pays $6-7 for a gram, while the average is going to be $8.90 a gram after all the taxes and such). So much for a free market. A huge issue though is that there's either not going to be enough demand, because people can get it cheaper at their local dealer, but what's probably more likely to happen, there's not going to be enough supply in many of the other provinces.
If i recall correctly, Ontario is just going to have a few places you can buy it, and when those places run out, they're kinda screwed. People who live hours away will have a very tough time getting to them, and so while there's a demand, nobody is going to drive a few hours to get a little bit of weed (I guarantee you there will be a limit on how much you can buy at at a time). I am pretty sure this will just help the people already selling it on the street, because there's less risk, and there will be an increased demand, and they're the only supplier.

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
ok so if that's true, maybe only in montreal and alberta can private companies sell it now, but it's better than most of the world so be happy about that.
it can always change!

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Attacker3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
ok so if that's true, maybe only in montreal and alberta can private companies sell it now, but it's better than most of the world so be happy about that.
it can always change!
I also made this thread to discuss drugs in general. I think they should all be legalized, just based on morality. You should not be able to tell a person how they should treat their body, as it's their property.

I stopped reading right there.

It's the 21st century, you cannot escape it.
Grow up and deal with it.
Sheesh way to take a joke mate.

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
I stopped reading right there.

It's the 21st century, you cannot escape it.
Grow up and deal with it.
haha you should have kept reading! he doesn't seem to be against it, just against the canadian government still controlling the sale of it (or something like that)
some people call it that as a joke, usually only the people who are fine with it.
people who are actually against it don't call it that ;)

Attacker3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
haha you should have kept reading! he doesn't seem to be against it, just against the canadian government still controlling the sale of it (or something like that)
some people call it that as a joke, usually only the people who are fine with it.

That's exactly what I'm a bit upset about. They decide to stick their nose in everything, and it just makes it more expensive for everyone. At least you can grow your own still, at least I think you can!

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Sheesh way to take a joke mate.

Pretty sure he's joking.

Ohhh, I know it's jokingly.
I know he isn't against it.

Merely stating that people who are against it should go along with society as it evolves.
You can't escape the legalization.

If it came across as attacking to OP or w/e, I surely didn't mean it like that lol.

Durelle

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Here in New Brunswick they already Builth government buildings to dispense it, I'm not against weed, but as a non smoker I hate the smell and my only worry is second hand smoke as I don't want it near me.

CallmeBerto

The Lone Wanderer
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
United States
Cool beans. A bill was proposed about a year ago in my city but the people voted against it. >.<

Here is hoping it passes everywhere. The amount of BS "science" against it can be debunked with even a bit of knowledge.

comput3rus3r

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you don't care about the increased likelihood of death caused by some drugs, you have to at least care about air pollution and 2nd hand smoking.
no drug kills more people that pharmaceuticals. Also cannabis can not kill anybody. I don't think it's a good habit to have in general but I have to call out bs when I see it.

Attacker3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Pharmaceuticals aside, I was referring to the "legalize all drugs" comment. Not weed itself.
Mate, most drugs don't even make smoke, and the amount of smoke is so minuscule it wouldn't even be noticeable. You could probably have 500 people smoking and not reach the amount of pollution that a car going half a mile makes.

comput3rus3r

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pharmaceuticals aside, I was referring to the "legalize all drugs" comment. Not weed itself.
Why are you referring to legalizing all drugs when that's not being proposed? Also, I don't think anybody wants to legalize meth other than meth heads but they don't live long enough to organize into a lobbying power.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mate, most drugs don't even make smoke, and the amount of smoke is so minuscule it wouldn't even be noticeable. You could probably have 500 people smoking and not reach the amount of pollution that a car going half a mile makes.
Tobacco air pollution.

Why are you referring to legalizing all drugs when that's not being proposed? Also, I don't think anybody wants to legalize meth other than meth heads but they don't live long enough to organize into a lobbying power.
I also made this thread to discuss drugs in general. I think they should all be legalized, just based on morality. You should not be able to tell a person how they should treat their body, as it's their property.

Attacker3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
We're referring to two different things. You're saying that tobacco smoke is more toxic, which I agree, but it's not going to affect the climate at all or anything. Just don't go near someone who's smoking if you don't want to deal with that.

Reactions: Deleted User

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have no objection to legal marijuana whatsoever. What concerns me is, are people going to be allowed to live on, or with the aid of, public assistance and take that money and buy weed with it, go home and sack out on the couch with a bong and some Frito's while someone else works a job to support them doing that?? Yes, I think that will happen, because it already happens. It'll just be even easier and more permissible.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over