Can you use the SD card of a banned switch in an unbanned one?

BDSwitch

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My switch was banned about 3 months ago because I accidentally connected to the internet to download an update.

I'm wondering if I can buy a new moddable switch and use the same SD card and if it will work and not get banned.

If anyone knows if this is the case, I would be very grateful.

kite21

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I think he meant if he can just take the SD out of one and place it on the other. If that's the case, then yes, you just need to wipe the SD. If you mean to transfer your saves and stuff like that, then you would need to use a save backup homebrew, but it's completely doable.

BDSwitch

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think he meant if he can just take the SD out of one and place it on the other. If that's the case, then yes, you just need to wipe the SD. If you mean to transfer your saves and stuff like that, then you would need to use a save backup homebrew, but it's completely doable.
Yeah what I was hoping to do was use the same SD card in the new switch and (hopefully) not need to go through the process of reinstalling everything.

I don't really care about save files or anything like that, I'm just kind of wondering if I can "plug and play" the CFW on the SD into the new switch.

I have an RCM Loader, too.

Blavla

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Yeah what I was hoping to do was use the same SD card in the new switch and (hopefully) not need to go through the process of reinstalling everything.

I don't really care about save files or anything like that, I'm just kind of wondering if I can "plug and play" the CFW on the SD into the new switch.

Then just delete the Nintendo Folder and you are ready to go. BUT I presume you are using an emunand partition. That will not work, you need to make a another one

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I don't think it would solve you problem long term I mean if you attempt to go online with pirated game you would just get another unit ban, you could reinstall game on the new unit and use homebrew to move your save but it doesn't really work the way you wanted it to be by just moving SD.

BDSwitch

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think it would solve you problem long term I mean if you attempt to go online with pirated game you would just get another unit ban, you could reinstall game on the new unit and use homebrew to move your save but it doesn't really work the way you wanted it to be by just moving SD.
No, I don't pirate games. I don't have any pirated games on my system. Or even any downloaded EShop games.

The only games I have are in card form.

BDSwitch

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Then just delete the Nintendo Folder and you are ready to go. BUT I presume you are using an emunand partition. That will not work, you need to make a another one
So, funny story... I bought this switch premodded and I'm very new to all this and still learning.

I'm not sure if I'm using an emunand or not.

What would I be looking for to check if I am? I am using Atmosphere and Hekate to boot into the CFW.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, I don't pirate games. I don't have any pirated games on my system. Or even any downloaded EShop games.

The only games I have are in card form.

Then you can just use a new unit, as you need to sign into your new unit with your account then. If you have downloadable content you just need to redownload them, save should still be linked to your account. They ban system not account but long term it doesn't solve your problem if you modded your system again you will just get another unit banned.

BDSwitch

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Then you can just use a new unit, as you need to sign into your new unit with your account then. If you have downloadable content you just need to redownload them, save should still be linked to your account. They ban system not account but long term it doesn't solve your problem if you modded your system again you will just get another unit banned.
So I'm fine creating a new account, I don't have any particular attachment to the current one.

You're talking about the Nintendo account I was using, right? I'm fine with completely wiping that and just using a new one on the new switch.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I'm fine creating a new account, I don't have any particular attachment to the current one.

You're talking about the Nintendo account I was using, right? I'm fine with completely wiping that and just using a new one on the new switch.

You can login to the same account onto a new unit, they ban the console not the account

BDSwitch

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can login to the same account onto a new unit, they ban the console not the account
So I should be good and not get banned on the new switch as long as I don't connect to the internet again, right? Or connect to it from the CFW profile, rather.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I should be good and not get banned on the new switch as long as I don't connect to the internet again, right? Or connect to it from the CFW profile, rather.

Shouldn't be online with CFW, you would get banned again if you run homebrew again on the new unit

BDSwitch

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Shouldn't be online with CFW, you would get banned again if you run homebrew again on the new unit
Right, so if I don't connect to the net on the new switch I should be safe from it being banned again since they only ban the console and not the account.

So my plan is like this:

1. Buy new switch
2. Pop SD card into new switch
3. Get everything set up
4. Don't connect to the net unless using 90DNS

That should work, right?

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Right, so if I don't connect to the net on the new switch I should be safe from it being banned again since they only ban the console and not the account.

So my plan is like this:

1. Buy new switch
2. Pop SD card into new switch
3. Get everything set up
4. Don't connect to the net unless using 90DNS

That should work, right?

You don't need a new unit if you don't plan to play online. Your current unit work fine don't it?

BDSwitch

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You don't need a new unit if you don't plan to play online. Your current unit work fine don't it?
Well, yes.

But I was hoping to have an unbanned system so I could use a stock profile to legitimately download games and updates and stuff.

I may not be explaining this the best, but my current switch was premodded and had a stock profile which had no issue connecting to the net (no ban), and then it had the profile for the CFW.

The reason I got banned was because I forgot I had to use 90DNS on the CFW profile and tried connecting to the net from my house's network and Nintendo saw I was using CFW since their servers weren't blocked.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, yes.

But I was hoping to have an unbanned system so I could use a stock profile to legitimately download games and updates and stuff.

I may not be explaining this the best, but my current switch was premodded and had a stock profile which had no issue connecting to the net (no ban), and then it had the profile for the CFW.

The reason I got banned was because I forgot I had to use 90DNS on the CFW profile and tried connecting to the net from my house's network and Nintendo saw I was using CFW since their servers weren't blocked.

You could buy the new unit if you want but I would recommend keep it completely clean no homebrew no pirated game unless you want to get another ban. Since you have a banned unit just use the banned unit for your homebrew/pirated games.

Reactions: Takokeshi

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

No data is encrypted u will have to re-download everything

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My switch was banned about 3 months ago because I accidentally connected to the internet to download an update.

I'm wondering if I can buy a new moddable switch and use the same SD card and if it will work and not get banned.

If anyone knows if this is the case, I would be very grateful.
You can use the same SD card but all of the games & other content will have to be redownoaded.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: the voices inside my head