Hacking Can you get banned for NAND Backup?

crashpsycho

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay so this is speaking from experience.
From stock
rcm
did backup(With Nintendo acct linked)
Saved backup.
Downloaded all my Game content to SD
Then saved SD Game folder
Did the whole SXos stuff
Experienced problem
Removed everything but backup and Homebrew menu stuff etc.
Then restored with hekate in rcm.
The restarted took out SD before boot.
(**Be aware I had no idea how to install nsp files so this purely all my Game content**)
Formatted SD thru horizon os menus.
Then initialized console.

Haven't been banned yet on. My 4th restore. Sounds like a long process but it works for me with no issue.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Jalink9406

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Okay so this is speaking from experience.
From stock
rcm
did backup(With Nintendo acct linked)
Saved backup.
Downloaded all my Game content to SD
Then saved SD Game folder
Did the whole SXos stuff
Experienced problem
Removed everything but backup and Homebrew menu stuff etc.
Then restored with hekate in rcm.
The restarted took out SD before boot.
(**Be aware I had no idea how to install nsp files so this purely all my Game content**)
Formatted SD thru horizon os menus.
Then initialized console.

Haven't been banned yet on. My 4th restore. Sounds like a long process but it works for me with no issue.

Did you unlink your account when you used SXOS? Do you know if I do the nand backup with the account linked and then unlink it for installing some game backups (nsp), when I restore the nand will the account be linked again?

Cause I want to do the same thing. I wanna backup my nand, then remove all online settings (maybe a factory reset, to be sure?), then play some game backups (nsp) and when I want to go back to playing online restore the nand.

Just want to be sure on the process before doing it. Thanks.

Andalitez

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's pretty much impossible for you to get banned by making a NAND backup. However, if you RESTORE that backup then that could potentially result in a ban, depending on the situation. Particularly if you've been online between the time the backup was made and the time the restore was done.

For example, say you were running on firmware 5.0.2, and made a NAND backup. Then, Nintendo releases 5.0.3, and some jackass that borrowed your Switch went ahead and updated it :P. Afterwards they played a little Splatoon 2 online, and because of the telemetry data Nintendo knows that your console has been updated to 5.0.3.

So you get your Switch back, and give your jackass friend a good lashing. Then you decide to restore your NAND backup, so that you'll be downgraded back to 5.0.2. Afterwards, you play online.

Nintendo sees that you're on 5.0.2, but, wait a minute, you were on 5.0.3 earlier, how could that have happ-

BAM!!! DROPS THE BANHAMMER!!!

That's only one example, Nintendo could have other data fields that would work for this too. Like, total hours played. If it was 1,000 yesterday, and you restored a backup from when you only had 700 hours logged, Nintendo could potentially see the discrepancy and ban you.

But so far, I don't think we've had any concrete evidence that Nintendo has ever banned anyone based on that sort of data. At least not yet. Only time will tell.
If your friend was a dumbass,he wouldn't have updated without burning fuses,this no way to go back xD.

Moral of the story is,don't borrow your switch out to anyone!

crashpsycho

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you unlink your account when you used SXOS? No( I never went online with sxos)
Do you know if I do the nand backup with the account linked and then unlink it for installing some game backups (nsp) Unsure never installed nsp to know

, when I restore the nand will the account be linked again? Yes(based off my expierience)

Cause I want to do the same thing. I wanna backup my nand, then remove all online settings (maybe a factory reset, to be sure?)after I downloaded everything to SD then I went into airplane then did backup

then play some game backups (nsp) and when I want to go back to playing online restore the nand. I don't play online or give a crap to. So can't help much here. But I know once I restored I was able to download all my games from eShop with no issue

Just want to be sure on the process before doing it. Thanks.

caitsith2

Trophies
a secret location 93 million miles from the sun
Website
www.caitsith2.com
XP
Country
Canada
nand backup iis not the thing that will directly cause the ban, it is what you do afterwards. Of course, if you go online after a nand backup, prior to the restore, then there is likely to be some telemetry that nintendo gets that will differ if you restore your backup. It is known that the error log is one such thing that Nintendo does drop the ban hammer for. (restoring could cause some errors Nintendo has previously seen in the log to no longer exist)

Ragenrok

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have done 2 nand restores and no ban yet BUT I have never taken my console online with the SX os, something went corrupt in my mario kart game data and the switch said I had to re download the data, deleting it didnt help. I had to nand restore the system, then reborrow my friends legit cart and update mario kart again.

Zebybite

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I made a NAND Backup after I used SX OS, and I am still not banned, I have yet to restore the backup beacuse I don't have the need to.

D

Deleted User

I made a NAND Backup after I used SX OS, and I am still not banned, I have yet to restore the backup beacuse I don't have the need to.
Are you still not banned? Have you tried playing games online on the stock OS? I'm just wondering because I have some physical games I still want to play online while using SX OS for back ups offline.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Good.