Can you brick your 3ds uninstalling custom firmware if the safety checks work?

AmongPro6800

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I recently Modded my Nintendo 2DS, but it has been unstable, randomly crashing every now and then on homebrew titles, games, and even the home menu(I don't have any custom themes). I thought about Uninstalling CFW, But it doesn't sound very safe. I was wondering if the safety checks say i can uninstall cfw, could it still brick in the process?:unsure:

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So I recently Modded my Nintendo 2DS, but it has been unstable, randomly crashing every now and then on homebrew titles, games, and even the home menu(I don't have any custom themes). I thought about Uninstalling CFW, But it doesn't sound very safe. I was wondering if the safety checks say i can uninstall cfw, could it still brick in the process?:unsure:
Why do you really want to remove CFW? Just restore a NAND backup.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
but it has been unstable, randomly crashing every now and then on homebrew titles, games, and even the home menu(I don't have any custom themes).
Units do not somehow spontaneously "become unstable" and uninstalling CFW will probably not help anything. If anything, it will make things worse.

The most likely explanation is that your SD card is failing, as that happens all too frequently. Plug your SD card into your PC, copy everything off (preferably with Roadkil's Unstoppable Copier), format the card, test the empty card with h2testw, and then copy everything back if the test is okay. If the test fails, you will need a new SD card.

Sometimes just copying everything off and back again will fix problems.

Don't bother considering a NAND backup without doing this first.

Reactions: AmongPro6800

AmongPro6800

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just remembered something that could explain this issue. I got my 2DS used, and when I got it, the SD slot was broken, and it displayed the sd was always write protected. So I made a stupid decision and poked around the slot with a bent paper clip, and the slot actually started working. I can see now that might not have been such a good idea though. The slot might be bugging out randomly, and that's why it crashes.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Reactions: AmongPro6800

AmongPro6800

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Replace the SD reader? It is soldering work on 2DS models and old 3DS XL.

As for the initial question:
No, following https://3ds.hacks.guide/uninstall-cfw won't lead to a brick when all tests have good results (especially starting native firm without patches)
https://3ds.hacks.guide/uninstall-cfw#section-iii---safety-test

Removing CFW will not get rid of the problems.
I opened up my ds and shot some compressed air at the reader, and that seems to have fixed it. also thanks for the answer!

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
would uninstalling cfw brick the system if the safety checks work?
If you try to restore an old NAND backup from a faulty SD card that stops responding halfway through, then it probably won't brick your system (almost nothing will), but it's not going to be especially easy to recover from either. But then, uninstalling doesn't require restoring an old NAND backup either.

Limitations of the safety test are discussed here:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/about-removing-b9s-and-the-safety-test.541718/

I opened up my ds and shot some compressed air at the reader, and that seems to have fixed it.
You should probably test your SD card as discussed in my previous post anyway. The FAT32 filesystem is very susceptible to corruption.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto