Homebrew Can Userland Homebrew be used to transfer a Monster Hunter Generations save file O3DS -> N3DS?

Deleted member 414661

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
So, this is a complex issue, and I’m not sure exactly what the O3DS’s problem is.

I tried installing Homebrew on the O3DS once before and it worked. I used MHGSV (the userland alternative to JK’s save manager) to get the data off, and it worked perfectly fine when some talismans were edited on my PC. Then when using MHGSV to re-upload the edited save, an error was displayed. I checked the SD card and the edited data files were there but were listed as “0KB”, as if the data started transferring, failed to transfer, and was lost. The original data was still intact as MHGSV merely copies and overwrites data.

It seems the data on that DS can be copied off of it just fine but can’t be reloaded onto the SD card for some reason. Plugging in the SD card to my PC caused Windows to say “there is a problem with this device, fix? (Y/N)”. (Of course I didn’t let Windows do something unknown like that.)

Also, this O3DS fails to do a system data transfer to the N3DS because of whatever issue there is on the O3DS’s SD card. So that’s not an option.

So, since the data can be extracted off the partly malfunctioning O3DS just fine, is it possible to use userland Homebrew on a N3DS and seamlessly transfer the save data over using MHGSV?

Also, how exactly does one access the SD card of the N3DS, I see no slot on the lower part of the system for it where there is on the O3DS.

If transferring the data won’t work, then I could always use APM’s Save Editor and the Talisman Editor programs to manually copy everything from the old save on the semi-malfunctioning system to a new save on the N3DS. I’m much more certain that will work but it will be very, very tedious.

I’m not a very technical person, and I only have experience with userland Homebrew via OoT3Dhax, so please don’t recommend CFW stuff as I’m not able to do that anytime soon.

Last edited by Deleted member 414661,

MrCatFace

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
1) Make sure the SD isnt write protected
2) On the n3DS, you have to unscrew the back plate
3) Try JKSM for save file managment

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Then when using MHGSV to re-upload the edited save, an error was displayed.
that looks self explanatory
It seems the data on that DS can be copied off of it just fine but can’t be reloaded onto the SD card for some reason.
if i had to guess i would say that the sd card in question is the main malfunction it seems to be (or at least have sectors that are) corrupted (depending on what actions you have used this sd for) you could have passed said corruption on to the system what i want you to do is put the sd in the pc and copy it to your pc then delete the sd cards contents and run H2testw (Windows) on it (this program will verify the validity of the sd)
So, since the data can be extracted off the partly malfunctioning O3DS just fine, is it possible to use userland Homebrew on a N3DS and seamlessly transfer the save data over using MHGSV?
yes . . . is there a reason you cant/dont use jksm?
Also, how exactly does one access the SD card of the N3DS, I see no slot on the lower part of the system for it where there is on the O3DS.
unscrew the rear plate
I’m not a very technical person, and I only have experience with userland Homebrew via OoT3Dhax, so please don’t recommend CFW stuff as I’m not able to do that anytime soon.
you dont need to be techy . . . in any sense . . . its a simple process this day and age (a 8 year old could do it) . . . also you admit your problem is complex yet state you dont want cfw as its complex. . . wha? i think you have proven that userland is no less complex:wacko:

Last edited by wormdood,

Deleted member 414661

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Use the homebrew application Checkpoint to backup and restore the save file, not JKSM. JKSM has issues when used as a homebrew application.
I’ve never had any issues with my own O3DS, the O3DS and N3DS I’m trying to get this data transferred between are my sister’s.

I’ve used MHGSV plenty on my 3DS w/o issues so its something odd on her SD card.

Deleted member 414661

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
So, does anyone know if MHGSV can be used to export save data from one HBed 3DS and then be used to import that data to a completely different 3DS (as long as the SD card isn’t damaged badly)?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: *teleports behind you* "Nothing personnel, kiddo" +1